Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Icing with a dixie cup

Posted by Suzi on 2/27/99 at 00:00 (005109)

After burning the side of my foot with an ice pack, I discovered that filling a small kid size dixie cup with water, freezing it, peeling away the top part of the cup, and massaging it into the heel in a circular motion for 5-10 minutes until the foot is somewhat numb, is the best icing method i've found. It is very cold at first but gets easier to tolerate. Place a towel on your lap so it catches the melting ice

Hope this helps someone out there

!

Re: Icing with a dixie cup

Bea on 2/28/99 at 00:00 (005117)

I use a reusable , fabric covered ice pack that I keep in the freezer and wrap it in a washcloth, as it gets warmer I take off the washcloth and have found that it stays cold for a good half hour. Pack aavailable at any drug store. I've used frozen peas but they warm up too soon.

Kris on 2/28/99 at 00:00 (005127)

I was icing with a blue gel cold pack, but my P.T. dr said its best to use bags filled with ice and a little water to make it slushy. Ice will never get below 32 degrees but the gel packs contain alcohol and can get colder which can burn the skin. He recommends skin directly on the plastic baggie with the ice. No paper towel or cloth in between.

Bea on 2/28/99 at 00:00 (005117)

I use a reusable , fabric covered ice pack that I keep in the freezer and wrap it in a washcloth, as it gets warmer I take off the washcloth and have found that it stays cold for a good half hour. Pack aavailable at any drug store. I've used frozen peas but they warm up too soon.

Kris on 2/28/99 at 00:00 (005127)

I was icing with a blue gel cold pack, but my P.T. dr said its best to use bags filled with ice and a little water to make it slushy. Ice will never get below 32 degrees but the gel packs contain alcohol and can get colder which can burn the skin. He recommends skin directly on the plastic baggie with the ice. No paper towel or cloth in between.