Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

On the shape of sneaker soles

Posted by Kristen S. on 3/01/99 at 00:00 (005144)

I tried on a few pairs of sneakers, since I wore out my New Balance cross trainers that worked well for me with a blue Birk insert. I noticed many of the athletic shoes have a kind of a scooped-out area in the middle of the sole. In other words, if you looked at a footprint from one of them, there would be two pieces with a space in the middle of them. I assume this serves some structural purpose, but don't know what. I was concerned that it would somehow put additional pressure on my arch, but I pushed the shoes in different ways and none of them seem to bend in that area. I put my blue Birk inserts in and was able to wear them all day without any noticeable increase in pain. I put the insert on top of the insole that came with the shoe, I wonder if it would be better to take the insole out and just use the insert? Anyway, I just wanted to hear any input on these types of soles, since there seem to alot of them on the shelves these days.

Re: On the shape of sneaker soles

Sue on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005173)

I just bought New Balance 586 running shoes. I am trying them without orthotics first. I have the Birk cork orthotics. They have not really helped since I started wearing themin January.

Re: On the shape of sneaker soles

Sue on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005173)

I just bought New Balance 586 running shoes. I am trying them without orthotics first. I have the Birk cork orthotics. They have not really helped since I started wearing themin January.