Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

neuropathy

Posted by Jane on 3/01/99 at 00:00 (005145)

Does anybody out there have neuropathy (a burning sensation on the bottoms of my feet) associated with plantar fasciitis? I would like to know what your doctor did for you

Re: neuropathy

Bobbie on 3/01/99 at 00:00 (005163)

I have burning (along with all the rest of the intense pain)on the bottoms and sides but no one has told me what to do about it. I guess icing and getting off your feet is the best advice I can give. My doctor presently has me on Amitriptylin 25 mg. but other than making me extremely tired, I see no improvment to my pain. Maybe I haven't given it a fair trial as I have only taken it a few days. I find I need to cut the pills in half so I can make it through the day without falling a sleep. Good luck and if you discover anything that works, let me know.

Jane on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005180)

I have had an EMG (normal) and blood tests to rule out diabetes and B-12 deficiency. I took neurontin for a while, but I got edema around my eyes. Let me know if the Elavil helps you - I will be watching for an answer - I've heard it takes some time. For me, the burning is actually worse than the stiffness and pain of the PF.

barbara2 on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005192)

I actually had the burning for a year before the heel pain started. They couldn't diagnose anything before that. They said retroactively it was PF. You are right about it driving one nuts. I found soaking in cold water w/ epsom salts helpful, also my husband's foot massages.
And using a foot stool to elevate them.
I still get it occasionally, but now mostly heel pain.

Bobbie on 3/01/99 at 00:00 (005163)

I have burning (along with all the rest of the intense pain)on the bottoms and sides but no one has told me what to do about it. I guess icing and getting off your feet is the best advice I can give. My doctor presently has me on Amitriptylin 25 mg. but other than making me extremely tired, I see no improvment to my pain. Maybe I haven't given it a fair trial as I have only taken it a few days. I find I need to cut the pills in half so I can make it through the day without falling a sleep. Good luck and if you discover anything that works, let me know.

Jane on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005180)

I have had an EMG (normal) and blood tests to rule out diabetes and B-12 deficiency. I took neurontin for a while, but I got edema around my eyes. Let me know if the Elavil helps you - I will be watching for an answer - I've heard it takes some time. For me, the burning is actually worse than the stiffness and pain of the PF.

barbara2 on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005192)

I actually had the burning for a year before the heel pain started. They couldn't diagnose anything before that. They said retroactively it was PF. You are right about it driving one nuts. I found soaking in cold water w/ epsom salts helpful, also my husband's foot massages.
And using a foot stool to elevate them.
I still get it occasionally, but now mostly heel pain.