Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstocks vs. look-a-likes?

Posted by JanetT. on 3/01/99 at 00:00 (005160)

I have been dealing with PF since last summer. I have been wearing sneakers only for the last 3 months and i have to say my foot has improved. I have also been using a night splint since Dec. 9. it is a rental and I have to send it back this week. i'm hoping i won't regress by not using the night splint. Anyway, I have improved to the point where I can put my full weight on my heel now. It still aches but I don't have to walk on tiptoe any more. I haven't done my treadmill in about 2 months and I am reluctant to start up again. I bought a new piece of exercise equipment-an eccliptical machine. Supposed to be a cross trainer-sort of a cross between a treadmill and a stair stepper. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of machine? I am very interested to try out Birkenstocks after reading about the success of so many people on this site with them. But they are so expensive. I saw in a L.L.Bean catalog Bean's cork sandals that look identical to Birkenstocks. Does anyone know whether they would be just as good? They only cost $32.00 compared to $95.00 for the Birks.I'd appreciate anyone's input on this. Are they just as good, almost as good, or forget it and spend the extra money on the Birks????

Re: Birkenstocks vs. look-a-likes?

Bea on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005170)

I think it would be better to go with the real Birks. They havew been in business for a long time and have an excellent reputation. There are a lot of look alikes around at all prices but as far as the site is concerned Birks are the ones most people seem to have success with.

Sue on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005172)

Birks don't work for everyone. The pain on the bottom of my heel is from thin heel pain pads causing inflammation of the bursa. I tried to use them gradually. The podiatrist recommends lots of cushion.

Nancy on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005186)

I have purchased several pairs of knock-off birks (about $8.99/pair). I find that they are very simular in fit and comfort although they tend to wear out much quicker. I'm very hard on sandals so it is worthwhile for me to buy these ripoffs as they can be thrown out when done. However, I do own a pair of Birks nursing shoes and don't regret spending the $225.00 on them!

I think that it would be worthwhile to buy a pair to try out as they put your foot in the same position as birks. Remember though, you have to wear them for a while so that they mold to the shape of your own foot!
Good luck
Nancy

Bea on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005170)

I think it would be better to go with the real Birks. They havew been in business for a long time and have an excellent reputation. There are a lot of look alikes around at all prices but as far as the site is concerned Birks are the ones most people seem to have success with.

Sue on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005172)

Birks don't work for everyone. The pain on the bottom of my heel is from thin heel pain pads causing inflammation of the bursa. I tried to use them gradually. The podiatrist recommends lots of cushion.

Nancy on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005186)

I have purchased several pairs of knock-off birks (about $8.99/pair). I find that they are very simular in fit and comfort although they tend to wear out much quicker. I'm very hard on sandals so it is worthwhile for me to buy these ripoffs as they can be thrown out when done. However, I do own a pair of Birks nursing shoes and don't regret spending the $225.00 on them!

I think that it would be worthwhile to buy a pair to try out as they put your foot in the same position as birks. Remember though, you have to wear them for a while so that they mold to the shape of your own foot!
Good luck
Nancy