Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Eliptical trainer

Posted by John C. on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005183)

Janet,
I am a runner and have had PF 10 months. Recently, my gym has gotten in several eliptical trainers. I love them. THey are a great workout and don't seem to bother my heel. I am very close to running again. Good luck..

JanetT on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005202)

thanks for the input on the eliptical trainer and for the correct spelling. I am looking forward to exercising again and I'm glad to know there won't be much strain on my heel. I ordered mine thru Sears-i hope it will be as good as the one's at the gym.

BillC on 3/03/99 at 00:00 (005213)

Is that the machine that each foot is on the swing type thing and you have your stride swinging back and forth.

John C. on 3/04/99 at 00:00 (005243)

Bill, each foot is on a peddle. Each peddle is wide enough and long enough to completely support your entire foot. You are standing up with wrap-around bars to hold for balance. The peddles go in an eliptical arc, not a round arc such as a bicycle. The motion is very similiar to a walking/running motion, but without the impact. These machines have worked great for me. They give me a way to get a great aerobic workout without hurting my PF. I have used a stair stepper also and these work good for me. No Pf hurt. I just feel that I get a better workout on the eliptical trainer. Part of that is because I enjoy it much better.
Good luck.

Carolyn on 3/05/99 at 00:00 (005267)

Hi Janet-
Just wanted to put my two cents in about eliptical trainers - the machines are great! But as with any piece of equipment, don't waste your time on the cheap stuff. I go to a gym 5 or 6 times per week. I rotate between step classes, weight training classes, and machines that give you an aerobic workout. By far my favorite machine is the eliptical trainer. Treadmills can start to kill your feet, I just personally hate steppers, and I think most people just don't work hard enough on a stationary bike. I found that the eliptical trainers really give you a workout. I sweat buckets when I do that thing, and frankly, what's thy point of going to a gym if you aren't going to break a sweat? Good luck.
oh, I have't tried the Birks yet, but this newsgroup is convincing me to give them a try.

JanetT on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005202)

thanks for the input on the eliptical trainer and for the correct spelling. I am looking forward to exercising again and I'm glad to know there won't be much strain on my heel. I ordered mine thru Sears-i hope it will be as good as the one's at the gym.

BillC on 3/03/99 at 00:00 (005213)

Is that the machine that each foot is on the swing type thing and you have your stride swinging back and forth.

John C. on 3/04/99 at 00:00 (005243)

Bill, each foot is on a peddle. Each peddle is wide enough and long enough to completely support your entire foot. You are standing up with wrap-around bars to hold for balance. The peddles go in an eliptical arc, not a round arc such as a bicycle. The motion is very similiar to a walking/running motion, but without the impact. These machines have worked great for me. They give me a way to get a great aerobic workout without hurting my PF. I have used a stair stepper also and these work good for me. No Pf hurt. I just feel that I get a better workout on the eliptical trainer. Part of that is because I enjoy it much better.
Good luck.

Carolyn on 3/05/99 at 00:00 (005267)

Hi Janet-
Just wanted to put my two cents in about eliptical trainers - the machines are great! But as with any piece of equipment, don't waste your time on the cheap stuff. I go to a gym 5 or 6 times per week. I rotate between step classes, weight training classes, and machines that give you an aerobic workout. By far my favorite machine is the eliptical trainer. Treadmills can start to kill your feet, I just personally hate steppers, and I think most people just don't work hard enough on a stationary bike. I found that the eliptical trainers really give you a workout. I sweat buckets when I do that thing, and frankly, what's thy point of going to a gym if you aren't going to break a sweat? Good luck.
oh, I have't tried the Birks yet, but this newsgroup is convincing me to give them a try.