Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortisone shots and Singapore

Posted by Sue on 3/05/99 at 00:00 (005264)

The podiatrist suggested a cortisone shot two days before a trip to Bangkok, Singapore and Bali. Any advice on whether I should take them? I will be doing lots of walking.

Re: Cortisone shots

CC on 2/20/99 at 00:00 (004974)

I broke my left leg 6 years ago. Afterward I got a heel spur on the right foot. I had the cortisone shot (ouch ouch) and it lasted 1-1/2 years then another shot which is still OK 4+ years. Now I have
one on my left foot since Nov. 2 shots of cortisone and still painful even though there have been improvements. It hampers my lifestyle and it so painful after walking on cement. I think with the right dosage of the cortisone it will help and to stay off as much as possible. The ice helps alot, but like everyone else can't seem to do it so many times per day.

Tried stretching, orthotics, lost 12 lbs. so far trying for more.
Wondering if I should get a second opinion. I am sick of being in pain.

Bea on 2/20/99 at 00:00 (004976)

Please read the site. Cortisone doesn't cure anything. It probides sometimes pain relief which is temporary and can do much damage. IT IS NOT A CURE.

Joan Garcia on 2/21/99 at 00:00 (004982)

Three weeks ago I had cortisone injections in both heels. Not only did it not help, but it took me one week to get back to the level of pain I had been at one day before the shots. I had to stay in bed for three days after the shots. I wouln't try it again. My planter fasciitis may be intensified by C.M.T.

Dayna on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (004995)

My experience exactly, except my pain relief lasted a few days longer than yours, then I reinjured. Sometimes a shot can work if it breaks up chronic inflammation and you don't reinjure, it can allow the foot to begin to heal itself. Read below for others who have had shots, we don't recommend it.

Re: Cortisone shots - Where was it injected?

Nancy on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (004996)

Maybe this sounds like a stupid question, but where did you have the injection? Was it given through the bottom of the sole or from the side of the foot. I have had it done both ways but when it was given through the bottom, it didn't help. Not only that but he didn't give any freezing so it made walking difficult immediately after, but the sole of my foot was sore for days.
When I had the injection done through the side (3 tries), I had alot more relief. Not only did the freezing help but I didn't have the sole pain!
The cortizone itself lasted as long as 2 months but I found that with each injection, the relief was shorter. With my last injection, I had a reaction to the cortizone and could barely walk at all. I guess if the Doctor insists on having the 3 injections as mine did, then make sure you get it done throught the side.

P.S. I just had the surgery after suffering for over 10 years. I'm not sure how it will work out yet but I'm hopeful.

Good luck to all!

Barbara on 2/23/99 at 00:00 (005028)

I have had 2 cortisone shots, will get the third tomorrow. Each one
was a week apart. I have to say the pain I had been experiencing is
practically gone in the heel area. However I now seem to be having
pain in the toe area. It seems to occur while I am at work, which has me on my feet most of the day, in dress shoes with a small heel. My feet feel the best when I'm in running sneakers. I have had PF since
September 1998. Has anyone else had this type of pain or am I crazy??

PATPA on 2/24/99 at 00:00 (005053)

NANCY: I have been suffering from a badly inflamed heelspur for several months now. I have gone through the taping of the foot. NO RELIEF.
I have had two shots recently, three weeks apart. First one only lasted about 2 days, second lasted maybe the week. The shot was given down the side of my foot. It is usually very uncomfortable in the evening after the shot. Each time it seem more sore afterward.
I am now suffering again. I have found if I wear higher heels or running sneakers that helps, but somedays, like today..it just hurts all day.
You had surgery. Did they remove the spur? Tell me about the surgery. I am apprehensive to have this performed. I want permanment relief and some say it may not help. I have also been told that heelspurs can come back. OH BROTHER>

Please tell me about the surgery and how are the results.
Thanks GOOD LUCK>

Cheryl R. on 2/25/99 at 00:00 (005060)

I had PF for over 2 years...I had 4 corisone shots.. 2 in the side of the foot and 2 in the bottom. I got the most relief from the shots on the bottom, but it didn't last. I had the 'full release surgery' on November 23, 1998. It's not a 'miracle cure' I just went through 3 weeks of PT and am now able to get out of bed with no pain and walk normally with no limp. I still have some pain after being on my feet for a long period, but that is all. I'm back to work at 2 jobs, one sitting and one standing. I stretch the calf muscles 3 times a week and I massage the foot nightly. After 2 years of constant pain, it feels great and I'm glad I had the surgery. I didn't feel that way at first, but it's gotten alot better.

Nancy on 2/25/99 at 00:00 (005071)

Hi Patpa;
I had the full release surgery where the facia is cut. I'm not sure how it is going to work out but I had the surgery on February 5th and I was walking with my entire foot, awkwardly at first, 2 weeks later. I still find that if I wear running shoes it is not as painful as the heel is elevated more than if I'm in bare feet or flat shoes.
I have been able to (slowly) walk around the mall and around the house but walking on uneven ground is a little more challenging - especially in the snow!
Presently, I'm having pain just below the pad of the foot and also near the spur site but my Doctor stated that that is probably where the facia has 'snapped back to'. He is not very subtle but is a great Doctor!
Feel free to email me and I can keep you posted on my progress as this was not an easy decision for me to make so I appreciate what you are going through!

Take care
Nancy

barbara on 2/27/99 at 00:00 (005103)

I HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM SINCE LAST APRIL. AM AT MY WITS END. I CAN HARDLY WALK. 2 PODIATRISTS AND 1 ORTHOPEDIST AND PHYSICAL THERAPY LATER STILL NO HELP. WHAT TO DO. EVERY DOCTOR SAYS THEY WOULDN'T RECOMMEND SURGERY. CAN YOU HELP ME OUT. CAN YOU LET ME KNOW WHAT KIND OF A DOCTOR YOU WENT TO FOR HELP AND HOW YOU ARE DOING SINCE THE SURGERY. THANKS, BARBARA

Nancy on 3/01/99 at 00:00 (005154)

Barbara;

I know exactly what you mean. I went to numerous doctors for about 7 years before finding one who would do the surgery. Most of the doctors would tell me to put up with the pain, get a different job or would just tell me not to let anyone 'cut up my feet'. You can always tell the ones who have no idea what the pain is like by their answer. When I started seeing my present doctor about a year ago, of course he wanted to try cortisone injections first, but stated that he would do the surgery if necessary. By the way he is an orthopedic surgeon.
Thanks for the reply and good luck. Feel free to email me anytime!
Just click on my name that is highlighted.
Bye for now.
Nancy

Re: Cortisone shots and Singapore

Jane on 3/05/99 at 00:00 (005270)

They work for some but did nothing for me. Had them twice - quite painful. Maybe someone else had a better experience.

alex on 3/05/99 at 00:00 (005280)

After 6 months of various treatments I had a cortizone shot 5 weeks ago. Not too painfu, but the effects did not really show until 48 hours after - since then I have been virtually pain free. The massive anti-inflammatory impact of the cortizone does no more than allow the body's own healing processes a chance to work. There is a GREAT danger of re-injury during the first weeks after a cortizone shot, so you really should do everything possible to protect your foot - really continue as if you were still in pain. Long, difficult walking trails may be an exciting prospect, but I would be very careful if I were you Best wishes

Re: Cortisone shots - Where was it injected?my story...

BIllie on 3/09/99 at 00:00 (005376)

I started out with a Dr who gave me a series of three shots over 9 week period. Then intensive therapy. Didn't seem to help much. Found a new Dr. when the pain was so bad I couldn't stand it anyomore (a year or so later) He gave me a shot directly through the back of the heel. The relief was very quick(two to three days) lasted about 8 or 10 months, then WHAM, back with a vengeance. Went the shot route two more times in two years, same spot in heel, good relief from pain but only about 8 months worth of it. Went to another Dr., wouldn't do the shots that he suggested, got another'worthless' pair of orthos, have been in alot of pain, but am afraid of long term effects of shots or surgery. Am giving the new orthos a try, along with the suggested(from these postings) stretching, and religious wearing of good shoes, but have become very aware that it can be a VERY slow process of recovery or even partial recovery. But like many who have posted here, I am glad to know I'm not the only one with this thing.Thanks to all who have shared suggestions. Can't be any worse than going from Doc to Doc, and much less expensive!

CC on 2/20/99 at 00:00 (004974)

I broke my left leg 6 years ago. Afterward I got a heel spur on the right foot. I had the cortisone shot (ouch ouch) and it lasted 1-1/2 years then another shot which is still OK 4+ years. Now I have
one on my left foot since Nov. 2 shots of cortisone and still painful even though there have been improvements. It hampers my lifestyle and it so painful after walking on cement. I think with the right dosage of the cortisone it will help and to stay off as much as possible. The ice helps alot, but like everyone else can't seem to do it so many times per day.

Tried stretching, orthotics, lost 12 lbs. so far trying for more.
Wondering if I should get a second opinion. I am sick of being in pain.

Bea on 2/20/99 at 00:00 (004976)

Please read the site. Cortisone doesn't cure anything. It probides sometimes pain relief which is temporary and can do much damage. IT IS NOT A CURE.

Joan Garcia on 2/21/99 at 00:00 (004982)

Three weeks ago I had cortisone injections in both heels. Not only did it not help, but it took me one week to get back to the level of pain I had been at one day before the shots. I had to stay in bed for three days after the shots. I wouln't try it again. My planter fasciitis may be intensified by C.M.T.

Dayna on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (004995)

My experience exactly, except my pain relief lasted a few days longer than yours, then I reinjured. Sometimes a shot can work if it breaks up chronic inflammation and you don't reinjure, it can allow the foot to begin to heal itself. Read below for others who have had shots, we don't recommend it.

Nancy on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (004996)

Maybe this sounds like a stupid question, but where did you have the injection? Was it given through the bottom of the sole or from the side of the foot. I have had it done both ways but when it was given through the bottom, it didn't help. Not only that but he didn't give any freezing so it made walking difficult immediately after, but the sole of my foot was sore for days.
When I had the injection done through the side (3 tries), I had alot more relief. Not only did the freezing help but I didn't have the sole pain!
The cortizone itself lasted as long as 2 months but I found that with each injection, the relief was shorter. With my last injection, I had a reaction to the cortizone and could barely walk at all. I guess if the Doctor insists on having the 3 injections as mine did, then make sure you get it done throught the side.

P.S. I just had the surgery after suffering for over 10 years. I'm not sure how it will work out yet but I'm hopeful.

Good luck to all!

Barbara on 2/23/99 at 00:00 (005028)

I have had 2 cortisone shots, will get the third tomorrow. Each one
was a week apart. I have to say the pain I had been experiencing is
practically gone in the heel area. However I now seem to be having
pain in the toe area. It seems to occur while I am at work, which has me on my feet most of the day, in dress shoes with a small heel. My feet feel the best when I'm in running sneakers. I have had PF since
September 1998. Has anyone else had this type of pain or am I crazy??

PATPA on 2/24/99 at 00:00 (005053)

NANCY: I have been suffering from a badly inflamed heelspur for several months now. I have gone through the taping of the foot. NO RELIEF.
I have had two shots recently, three weeks apart. First one only lasted about 2 days, second lasted maybe the week. The shot was given down the side of my foot. It is usually very uncomfortable in the evening after the shot. Each time it seem more sore afterward.
I am now suffering again. I have found if I wear higher heels or running sneakers that helps, but somedays, like today..it just hurts all day.
You had surgery. Did they remove the spur? Tell me about the surgery. I am apprehensive to have this performed. I want permanment relief and some say it may not help. I have also been told that heelspurs can come back. OH BROTHER>

Please tell me about the surgery and how are the results.
Thanks GOOD LUCK>

Cheryl R. on 2/25/99 at 00:00 (005060)

I had PF for over 2 years...I had 4 corisone shots.. 2 in the side of the foot and 2 in the bottom. I got the most relief from the shots on the bottom, but it didn't last. I had the 'full release surgery' on November 23, 1998. It's not a 'miracle cure' I just went through 3 weeks of PT and am now able to get out of bed with no pain and walk normally with no limp. I still have some pain after being on my feet for a long period, but that is all. I'm back to work at 2 jobs, one sitting and one standing. I stretch the calf muscles 3 times a week and I massage the foot nightly. After 2 years of constant pain, it feels great and I'm glad I had the surgery. I didn't feel that way at first, but it's gotten alot better.

Nancy on 2/25/99 at 00:00 (005071)

Hi Patpa;
I had the full release surgery where the facia is cut. I'm not sure how it is going to work out but I had the surgery on February 5th and I was walking with my entire foot, awkwardly at first, 2 weeks later. I still find that if I wear running shoes it is not as painful as the heel is elevated more than if I'm in bare feet or flat shoes.
I have been able to (slowly) walk around the mall and around the house but walking on uneven ground is a little more challenging - especially in the snow!
Presently, I'm having pain just below the pad of the foot and also near the spur site but my Doctor stated that that is probably where the facia has 'snapped back to'. He is not very subtle but is a great Doctor!
Feel free to email me and I can keep you posted on my progress as this was not an easy decision for me to make so I appreciate what you are going through!

Take care
Nancy

barbara on 2/27/99 at 00:00 (005103)

I HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM SINCE LAST APRIL. AM AT MY WITS END. I CAN HARDLY WALK. 2 PODIATRISTS AND 1 ORTHOPEDIST AND PHYSICAL THERAPY LATER STILL NO HELP. WHAT TO DO. EVERY DOCTOR SAYS THEY WOULDN'T RECOMMEND SURGERY. CAN YOU HELP ME OUT. CAN YOU LET ME KNOW WHAT KIND OF A DOCTOR YOU WENT TO FOR HELP AND HOW YOU ARE DOING SINCE THE SURGERY. THANKS, BARBARA

Nancy on 3/01/99 at 00:00 (005154)

Barbara;

I know exactly what you mean. I went to numerous doctors for about 7 years before finding one who would do the surgery. Most of the doctors would tell me to put up with the pain, get a different job or would just tell me not to let anyone 'cut up my feet'. You can always tell the ones who have no idea what the pain is like by their answer. When I started seeing my present doctor about a year ago, of course he wanted to try cortisone injections first, but stated that he would do the surgery if necessary. By the way he is an orthopedic surgeon.
Thanks for the reply and good luck. Feel free to email me anytime!
Just click on my name that is highlighted.
Bye for now.
Nancy

Jane on 3/05/99 at 00:00 (005270)

They work for some but did nothing for me. Had them twice - quite painful. Maybe someone else had a better experience.

alex on 3/05/99 at 00:00 (005280)

After 6 months of various treatments I had a cortizone shot 5 weeks ago. Not too painfu, but the effects did not really show until 48 hours after - since then I have been virtually pain free. The massive anti-inflammatory impact of the cortizone does no more than allow the body's own healing processes a chance to work. There is a GREAT danger of re-injury during the first weeks after a cortizone shot, so you really should do everything possible to protect your foot - really continue as if you were still in pain. Long, difficult walking trails may be an exciting prospect, but I would be very careful if I were you Best wishes

Re: Cortisone shots - Where was it injected?my story...

BIllie on 3/09/99 at 00:00 (005376)

I started out with a Dr who gave me a series of three shots over 9 week period. Then intensive therapy. Didn't seem to help much. Found a new Dr. when the pain was so bad I couldn't stand it anyomore (a year or so later) He gave me a shot directly through the back of the heel. The relief was very quick(two to three days) lasted about 8 or 10 months, then WHAM, back with a vengeance. Went the shot route two more times in two years, same spot in heel, good relief from pain but only about 8 months worth of it. Went to another Dr., wouldn't do the shots that he suggested, got another'worthless' pair of orthos, have been in alot of pain, but am afraid of long term effects of shots or surgery. Am giving the new orthos a try, along with the suggested(from these postings) stretching, and religious wearing of good shoes, but have become very aware that it can be a VERY slow process of recovery or even partial recovery. But like many who have posted here, I am glad to know I'm not the only one with this thing.Thanks to all who have shared suggestions. Can't be any worse than going from Doc to Doc, and much less expensive!