Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birks....PF.....new..........Help???

Posted by Linda P. on 3/05/99 at 00:00 (005275)

Hi out there! I am 31 and was diagnosed with pf on my left foot about two months ago. I took Naproxen for awhile and thought it went away and then I got it in the other foot as well. All over my feet it hurt and I could not stand the pain by the end of the day.
I went back to the drs and he told me to give it a couple of months, it should go away. So, then a friend gave me this page to look up and I am impressed with the response from everyone out there trying to help eachother. It is so sweet of all of you.
My friend lent me a pair of birks sandals til I decide to go buy some since it is far and cost as well. So, anyhow my feet have gotten to feel better and im not sure if its cause I have done the stretching and exercise as recomended by this page and the shoes. But my question is: Sometimes my feet do hurt from the burks as if they are like rocks so do i still buy a pair or a softer pair or what? Some days they dont hurt and other I use my gymshoes with arch supports. I have not spent much money on things yet for birks or ortho supports. My doctor says I might want to wait to buy the ortho supports since I bought a new pair of nike shoes. Other people say I should buy ortho supports and the birks. I dont know, Any suggestions please help

Re: Birks....PF.....new..........Help???

Robin on 3/05/99 at 00:00 (005277)

Hi Linda -- welcome to a suffering bunch.

I am a Birk enthusiast. I currently have five pairs, all sandals of some type. If you search this site for Birkenstock, you will find lots and lots of postings -- for and against, and very varied.

I do have athletic shoes that I can wear, but even though they are comfortable for awhile, they do not seem to HELP my feet. Birks seem to help. However, that's not to say I don't have pain while wearing Birks. I do. I just have a lot less pain than I had last summer when the PF struck and I could barely hobble around the house.

I don't know about soft shoes. I think soft shoes helped my feet to be ripe for PF. Like the lady in the Birk store said to me -- your feet need support, not cushioning. My main suggestion for everyone buying Birks is to go to a Birk store and get fitted properly. Based on the conversion from US to European sizes, I would have converted to a size 40 Birk -- and I currently use a size 38 Birk. In short, by myself I would have bought the wrong size and probably wouldn't be as far ahead as I am. Birkenstock stores (if you have one in driving distance) generally have informed salespeople who can properly fit you. Because of the arch support in the Birk, fit is critical.

Good luck with whatever you try. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right combination of things to work.

Susie on 3/05/99 at 00:00 (005283)

Robin,
You hit the nail on the head with your response to Linda. I am also a birk lover and have 4 pair. They are the best thing that has happened to me. I have had pf for 10 yrs.(2 yrs in pain because I didn't know what I had). Have been suffering the last 8 because I
figured no one had it but me, till I found this blessing of a place.
I also have a job I love, that kills my feet, I teach adults with developmental disabilities and mental retardation daily living skills and the biggest part is taking them out into the community to intergrate with everyone. It is the most rewarding thing I have ever done and at the end of the day when my feet are screaming I just baby them when I get home. The best thing would be to have a job sitting down but I would be bored. Oh well enough whining. Take care.

BJ on 3/06/99 at 00:00 (005291)

Does any one know of a Birks store in East Tennessee????? Several stores have them for sale but no one seems experienced in fitting. 'JUst for Feet' in Knoxville is close to where I live. Thanks.

Rao on 3/08/99 at 00:00 (005350)

hi,
was wondering if anyone would give me more info on these 'birks' , and also where would i find them in VA. i live close to DC , so any place within the metro should be good.
thanks,
Rao.

Sheri on 3/08/99 at 00:00 (005362)

I ordered my birks on-line. they were lots cheaper and the fit was perfect, thnaks to their conversion chart. Also I ordered them on Friday and I received them today. there is a link on the heelspur.com page or you can go directly to http://www.1800birks4u.com . I've worn them before, but I now have a new found appreciation for them. You should try them out.

Robin on 3/05/99 at 00:00 (005277)

Hi Linda -- welcome to a suffering bunch.

I am a Birk enthusiast. I currently have five pairs, all sandals of some type. If you search this site for Birkenstock, you will find lots and lots of postings -- for and against, and very varied.

I do have athletic shoes that I can wear, but even though they are comfortable for awhile, they do not seem to HELP my feet. Birks seem to help. However, that's not to say I don't have pain while wearing Birks. I do. I just have a lot less pain than I had last summer when the PF struck and I could barely hobble around the house.

I don't know about soft shoes. I think soft shoes helped my feet to be ripe for PF. Like the lady in the Birk store said to me -- your feet need support, not cushioning. My main suggestion for everyone buying Birks is to go to a Birk store and get fitted properly. Based on the conversion from US to European sizes, I would have converted to a size 40 Birk -- and I currently use a size 38 Birk. In short, by myself I would have bought the wrong size and probably wouldn't be as far ahead as I am. Birkenstock stores (if you have one in driving distance) generally have informed salespeople who can properly fit you. Because of the arch support in the Birk, fit is critical.

Good luck with whatever you try. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right combination of things to work.

Susie on 3/05/99 at 00:00 (005283)

Robin,
You hit the nail on the head with your response to Linda. I am also a birk lover and have 4 pair. They are the best thing that has happened to me. I have had pf for 10 yrs.(2 yrs in pain because I didn't know what I had). Have been suffering the last 8 because I
figured no one had it but me, till I found this blessing of a place.
I also have a job I love, that kills my feet, I teach adults with developmental disabilities and mental retardation daily living skills and the biggest part is taking them out into the community to intergrate with everyone. It is the most rewarding thing I have ever done and at the end of the day when my feet are screaming I just baby them when I get home. The best thing would be to have a job sitting down but I would be bored. Oh well enough whining. Take care.

BJ on 3/06/99 at 00:00 (005291)

Does any one know of a Birks store in East Tennessee????? Several stores have them for sale but no one seems experienced in fitting. 'JUst for Feet' in Knoxville is close to where I live. Thanks.

Rao on 3/08/99 at 00:00 (005350)

hi,
was wondering if anyone would give me more info on these 'birks' , and also where would i find them in VA. i live close to DC , so any place within the metro should be good.
thanks,
Rao.

Sheri on 3/08/99 at 00:00 (005362)

I ordered my birks on-line. they were lots cheaper and the fit was perfect, thnaks to their conversion chart. Also I ordered them on Friday and I received them today. there is a link on the heelspur.com page or you can go directly to http://www.1800birks4u.com . I've worn them before, but I now have a new found appreciation for them. You should try them out.