Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Arch pain after sitting?

Posted by Connie V. on 3/05/99 at 00:00 (005286)

Walking is my exercise of choice, but I had to stop a year ago because
of severe arch pain in my left foot. The pain is towards the front and to the inside of the arch. After many months (with no daily walking for exercise) the pain subsided. This week, I started morning walks again, and now I have the SAME pain, but in my right foot. Each time I have had this pain, I noticed that it was much worse after I had not been using my foot, i.e. sitting or lying down. Even if I sit for just a few minutes, when I get up again the pain is excruciating.
Could this be pf?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Connie

Re: Arch pain after sitting? Yes, sounds like PF to me.

Diane R. on 3/06/99 at 00:00 (005287)

Sounds like it to me. I used to be just like what you describe especially after being in bed and getting up during the night or first thing in the morning or riding in the car. I'd limp across the whole parking lot and wait for my feet to 'numb out' as I used to call it so I could look normal when I walked - still in pain but I didn't have people gawking at me.

Today, with the help from this site and starting the advice I found here such as: taking the glucosamine, vit. c, vit.e, calcium with magnesium, and wearing Arizona style birks 100% - I got rid of that pain. It takes at least 3 mths. of doing ALL these things religiously to actually get on the road to pain free. Then depending how bad yours is and how long you have had it - it could take longer doing these things. I had 4 bad PF yrs. and have now been on this recovery program almost 2 yrs. now. For the past year, I can do about anything normally (work on my feet, shop till I drop, hiking) but would not consider jogging or aerobics or even power walking - as I am curtain in my mind that these activities would result in my PF returning. You may have to may some adjustments to your life too - or live with the pain - seems most of us can't do it all anymore. Good luck to you - you're on the right road starting with this site!

Re: Arch pain after sitting?

Sheri on 3/08/99 at 00:00 (005344)

My pain is always worse after sitting. But it's actually the worst in the mornings...aaaaggghhhhh! Stretching seems to help some. Crawling to the bathroom is always an ooption, too!

Dayna on 3/08/99 at 00:00 (005347)

Yup, I have to agree with Diane, this sounds like classic PF. What is happening is that the tendon gets stretched and irritated and then when you take your weight off it for a little while it 'clenches' up so when you stand again it's got to stretch out again from full 'clench'. My advice is to stretch a little bit before you stand again, curl your toes under real hard, then pull them up like you're going to stand on tippy-toe, then point your foot like in ballet, then pull the whole foot toward your calf keeping the toes in line with the foot. Do this a few times, this will more gently warm up the tendon so it doesn't hurt quite so much when you stand up.

Diane R. on 3/06/99 at 00:00 (005287)

Sounds like it to me. I used to be just like what you describe especially after being in bed and getting up during the night or first thing in the morning or riding in the car. I'd limp across the whole parking lot and wait for my feet to 'numb out' as I used to call it so I could look normal when I walked - still in pain but I didn't have people gawking at me.

Today, with the help from this site and starting the advice I found here such as: taking the glucosamine, vit. c, vit.e, calcium with magnesium, and wearing Arizona style birks 100% - I got rid of that pain. It takes at least 3 mths. of doing ALL these things religiously to actually get on the road to pain free. Then depending how bad yours is and how long you have had it - it could take longer doing these things. I had 4 bad PF yrs. and have now been on this recovery program almost 2 yrs. now. For the past year, I can do about anything normally (work on my feet, shop till I drop, hiking) but would not consider jogging or aerobics or even power walking - as I am curtain in my mind that these activities would result in my PF returning. You may have to may some adjustments to your life too - or live with the pain - seems most of us can't do it all anymore. Good luck to you - you're on the right road starting with this site!

Re: Arch pain after sitting?

Sheri on 3/08/99 at 00:00 (005344)

My pain is always worse after sitting. But it's actually the worst in the mornings...aaaaggghhhhh! Stretching seems to help some. Crawling to the bathroom is always an ooption, too!

Dayna on 3/08/99 at 00:00 (005347)

Yup, I have to agree with Diane, this sounds like classic PF. What is happening is that the tendon gets stretched and irritated and then when you take your weight off it for a little while it 'clenches' up so when you stand again it's got to stretch out again from full 'clench'. My advice is to stretch a little bit before you stand again, curl your toes under real hard, then pull them up like you're going to stand on tippy-toe, then point your foot like in ballet, then pull the whole foot toward your calf keeping the toes in line with the foot. Do this a few times, this will more gently warm up the tendon so it doesn't hurt quite so much when you stand up.