Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Prolotherapy

Posted by Helene on 3/06/99 at 00:00 (005306)

Anyone heard of prolotherapy? It's a treatment for chronic pain that has been around for a long time but not widely known. It involves the injection of natural substances into ligaments & tendons, which generates new tissue.I read an article on the web that former Surgeon General C. Everett Koop had the treatment for incurable pain & he endorses it. A podiatrist in my area used to advertise that he uses this technique but I can't remember his name. However, when I asked some of my own drs., they said never heard of it.

Re: Prolotherapy

Bea on 3/07/99 at 00:00 (005319)

I have heard of Hyalgan which is a harmless substance(plant base) that is injected into the knee to help arthritic knees instead of surgury. IO believe there is a site on the web. Have you check proloterapy on the web? If it isn't there I would certainly question it.

Helene on 3/07/99 at 00:00 (005320)

Have found several sites on this on the web today. It's also known as
Reconstructive Therapy (RT). It was discovered in the '20's by 3 drs.
(one M.D. & two osteopaths). There's not a lot of drs. who do it, but apparently many osteopaths do. They claim it's a highly effective treatment,because it stimulates the natural healing process.

Bea on 3/07/99 at 00:00 (005321)

I just did a quick search & there is a lot on Prolotheropy however this is justa quess & I haven't had time to really research the differecnt sites but I am suspicious do to the fact that a lot of the sites are doctor generated (does nto accept Medicare or is connected with any HMO) also a lot of clinics are on the site & i haven't been able to find any disinterested parties(not looking for a buck) articles by knowledgeable people. I will get back to it when I have more time and let you know.

Bea on 3/07/99 at 00:00 (005322)

There is a doctor in Oak Park (I live in Chicago) Ill. His initial examining fee is !50.00 additional visits 55.00 and $100.00 per shot. He has pictures of himself giving the shots & what part of the body they are injected. Looks like filling up space to me, how informative is it to see a shot being given to the foot. I hate to be so cynical but I have seen and been the fool for these so called medical hacks too many times not to be careful.

Bea on 3/07/99 at 00:00 (005319)

I have heard of Hyalgan which is a harmless substance(plant base) that is injected into the knee to help arthritic knees instead of surgury. IO believe there is a site on the web. Have you check proloterapy on the web? If it isn't there I would certainly question it.

Helene on 3/07/99 at 00:00 (005320)

Have found several sites on this on the web today. It's also known as
Reconstructive Therapy (RT). It was discovered in the '20's by 3 drs.
(one M.D. & two osteopaths). There's not a lot of drs. who do it, but apparently many osteopaths do. They claim it's a highly effective treatment,because it stimulates the natural healing process.

Bea on 3/07/99 at 00:00 (005321)

I just did a quick search & there is a lot on Prolotheropy however this is justa quess & I haven't had time to really research the differecnt sites but I am suspicious do to the fact that a lot of the sites are doctor generated (does nto accept Medicare or is connected with any HMO) also a lot of clinics are on the site & i haven't been able to find any disinterested parties(not looking for a buck) articles by knowledgeable people. I will get back to it when I have more time and let you know.

Bea on 3/07/99 at 00:00 (005322)

There is a doctor in Oak Park (I live in Chicago) Ill. His initial examining fee is !50.00 additional visits 55.00 and $100.00 per shot. He has pictures of himself giving the shots & what part of the body they are injected. Looks like filling up space to me, how informative is it to see a shot being given to the foot. I hate to be so cynical but I have seen and been the fool for these so called medical hacks too many times not to be careful.