Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain in the back of the heel

Posted by YelloDog on 3/07/99 at 00:00 (005333)

I have been experiencing pain in the back of my heel for several years .It is most severe after I run long distances or do speed work.It does not go away during my runs.Most people with PF say it goes away during their runs.If I suspend running the pain goes away after a week or so.Is this PF?I teach martial arts and spend a lot of time barefoot on hard floors.This also seems to irritate the heel.Stretching does not relieve the pain either.

Re: Pain in the back of the heel

kelus on 3/08/99 at 00:00 (005336)

Hi! That is probably only a HEEL SPUR on the back of your heel.
I had one of them about 2 years before I came down with full blown plantar fasciitis. My doctor gave me a cortisone shot in the spur and it went away and it didn't come back.
Those types of spurs are usually from over doing it while wearing BAD FITTED SHOES. I honestly do not think that it came from going barefoot, but someone else here at the board may know differently.

BUT
! If you are going barefoot during martial arts and your heels begin to hurt on the bottom (or the inside bottom) then, that may be Plantar Fasciitis. If that begins to happen, get to the Podiatrist or Otho fast
! Because the longer you put it off, the worse it will be, and the harder it will be to get rid of
!

Also, no, I do not think that working through the pain is a good idea
That will only aggrivate the spur or Plantar fasciitis.

hope this helps! Kelus (Janet)

Re: Pain in the back of the heel

kelus on 3/08/99 at 00:00 (005336)

Hi! That is probably only a HEEL SPUR on the back of your heel.
I had one of them about 2 years before I came down with full blown plantar fasciitis. My doctor gave me a cortisone shot in the spur and it went away and it didn't come back.
Those types of spurs are usually from over doing it while wearing BAD FITTED SHOES. I honestly do not think that it came from going barefoot, but someone else here at the board may know differently.

BUT
! If you are going barefoot during martial arts and your heels begin to hurt on the bottom (or the inside bottom) then, that may be Plantar Fasciitis. If that begins to happen, get to the Podiatrist or Otho fast
! Because the longer you put it off, the worse it will be, and the harder it will be to get rid of
!

Also, no, I do not think that working through the pain is a good idea
That will only aggrivate the spur or Plantar fasciitis.

hope this helps! Kelus (Janet)