Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does Ultrasound help?

Posted by Lisa on 3/08/99 at 00:00 (005351)

I've been to a chiropractor who wants to treat my heel spur with
Ultrasound (10-12 treatments total; done every other day). He
says it will reduce swelling and may actually cause the
Calsium deposits to break down.

Is this true? Has this worked for anybody else? Of course
my insurance won't pay of any of the treatments....

Re: Does Ultrasound help?

Helene on 3/08/99 at 00:00 (005352)

When my heel pain was at its worst, I had both ultrasound & tens machine treatments on the same day. I found that my heel pain was greatly reduced after two treatments. Unfortunately I cannot tell you which one of these treatments was the one that helped. Maybe the combination of both. Anyway, ultrasound can't hurt. You must try everything until you discover what works for you!

Michelle on 3/08/99 at 00:00 (005358)

I had ultrasound done when I was going to Physical Therapy to help the fascia to loosen up. It seemed to help when I was going 2-3 times a week.

kelus on 3/08/99 at 00:00 (005364)

Lisa, I have to say that ultrasound did not work for me. I had it 3 times a week for 6 weeks and it was not much help. He also did the ultrasound using a cortisone gel, and it didn't help either.

Good luck!

Dayna on 3/09/99 at 00:00 (005382)

I had ultrasound a few times, it seemed to help but it was not consistent three times a week, more of an off and on when things got bad. The last time I had a bad flare-up I used my plain old massage wand for shoulders and etc, has a round flat head and several areas of bumps or lines along the edge for a different effect, is also speed adjustable. I just turned that on medium and laid my heel against it, swapped back and forth between this and ice, I do believe that it helped by increasing blood flow to the injured area.

My doctor charged minimally ($15) per 10 minute treatment, I say if you can afford it try it for a few times and see if you feel there is benefit. Keep us informed of your progress, we care.

Chris on 3/09/99 at 00:00 (005395)

I had four weeks worth of ultrasound 2x's a week. I declined the last week treatment (even though insurance covered) because it had not seemed to help at all. I also used the whirlpool after ultrasound- it felt good but lasted until I stood up to go home.

Helene on 3/08/99 at 00:00 (005352)

When my heel pain was at its worst, I had both ultrasound & tens machine treatments on the same day. I found that my heel pain was greatly reduced after two treatments. Unfortunately I cannot tell you which one of these treatments was the one that helped. Maybe the combination of both. Anyway, ultrasound can't hurt. You must try everything until you discover what works for you!

Michelle on 3/08/99 at 00:00 (005358)

I had ultrasound done when I was going to Physical Therapy to help the fascia to loosen up. It seemed to help when I was going 2-3 times a week.

kelus on 3/08/99 at 00:00 (005364)

Lisa, I have to say that ultrasound did not work for me. I had it 3 times a week for 6 weeks and it was not much help. He also did the ultrasound using a cortisone gel, and it didn't help either.

Good luck!

Dayna on 3/09/99 at 00:00 (005382)

I had ultrasound a few times, it seemed to help but it was not consistent three times a week, more of an off and on when things got bad. The last time I had a bad flare-up I used my plain old massage wand for shoulders and etc, has a round flat head and several areas of bumps or lines along the edge for a different effect, is also speed adjustable. I just turned that on medium and laid my heel against it, swapped back and forth between this and ice, I do believe that it helped by increasing blood flow to the injured area.

My doctor charged minimally ($15) per 10 minute treatment, I say if you can afford it try it for a few times and see if you feel there is benefit. Keep us informed of your progress, we care.

Chris on 3/09/99 at 00:00 (005395)

I had four weeks worth of ultrasound 2x's a week. I declined the last week treatment (even though insurance covered) because it had not seemed to help at all. I also used the whirlpool after ultrasound- it felt good but lasted until I stood up to go home.