Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Will I Ever Hike Again ?

Posted by Laura on 3/11/99 at 00:00 (005446)

I have suffered from PF since last fall. I am in a cast now. Until the cast I had been doing 30 min foot excersizes prescribed by PT 2x/day. I have started the nutrional supplements. I have expensive orthotics (which only work in my hiking boots--that's good, but they do not work in my new Reeboks or Rockports,of course, I can't hike since I have PF so they are of questionable use now). My life is hiking, and last year I bought lots of expensive backpacking equipment to make my life's dreams come true. I stopped smoking 3 and 1/2 years ago (after 24 years of it) so I could hike and backpack into beautifully remote spots. I am devasted. Plus my HMO won't cover anything and I don't expect to change their policy. I can't continue to expose my prepubescent daughter to the nourishing experience of hiking/backpacking. THANK YOU for the forum, and giving me a chance to CRY THE BLUES !

Re: Will I Ever Hike Again ?

Dayna on 3/11/99 at 00:00 (005450)

What kind of crappy HMO won't let you see a doctor? Never mind, I already know all about HMOs and primary care physicians who tell you to 'learn to live with chronic pain, there's nothing we can do'.

D--n, it makes me so angry I want to drive roofing nails into the heels of the people who decide that this is something they won't cover and let them see how they like it! insert music from Wagner's Cry of the Valkeries here

Congratulations on your 3 1/2 years of being nicotene free, that's a really good thing you did for yourself and your daughter, you beat tobacco, you can beat this.

What can we do to help? Let us know and we'll do our best, we care.

BillC on 3/11/99 at 00:00 (005452)

Hello Laura,

I have the same question. My wife and I have been hiking the Appalachian Trail in sections. We have hiked 560 miles of the AT and are up to Burkes Garden in Virginia. My last hike was Sept. 1998. It was on that trip that I developed PF. I have been doing streaches, icing, taking Glucosamine, and vitamin C. It does get better. My problem is when it gets better I will over do walking and get back to square one. I think I will try accupunture next, then maybe the dreaded shots. Hiking season is comming up and I dont want to miss it but I dont want to be back like I was in Sept. 1998. Can't give up and there are more things to try. Good luck with your future hiking.

Rosalind on 3/11/99 at 00:00 (005476)

I can really empathize. For 15 years, I skied 4 to 5 miles from my cabin just to get my mail or to get to my car, and I always felt secure in the belief that my feet were more reliable than my car. I live to hike and dance (Romanian and Scandinavian are very demanding on the feet. But with Zydego dancing you scarcely move your feet and a few months ago I felt better after Zydego. I'm too scared to try it now and am just trying to rest and get well). Sometimes I panic wondering how at the end of May, I am going to be able to drive 3,000 miles to go from Massachusetts to Montana. And then, starting in June I am scheduled to teach classes to people from around the country that involve long hikes. I am determined to get well, am trying as many things as I can, and will be sure to share what works. I think you will find this board invaluable for suggestions and support.

Laura on 3/12/99 at 00:00 (005487)

Thank you everybody for your caring responses. Scott, who are you that you set up this wonderful site for PF sufferers ?

jill on 3/12/99 at 00:00 (005493)

I, too used to be an avid hiker. Now on a good day I can hike a slow flat 2-3 miles, with a taped foot and some ibuprophen. It is hard to accept but I'm gratefull I can do that and have done a fair amount of travelling in the past 2 years to beautifull places and have picked short hikes wherever I go. I do hope someday I will be able to do more.

Gordon on 3/12/99 at 00:00 (005504)

Laura

I had PF for 2 years with no improvement until I tried some alternative stuff you'll read on here. That was about a year ago and since then I have periods of no pain and usually it is not too bad and I can do a lot. I've even gone on some short hikes. I take plenty of foot breaks when I need them and put my foot in a stream if it gets hot. In order to improve you need to stay as happy and positive as possible. Once you learn what works for you, you will get better. Do your own research and learn from others. Don't let bad doctors discourage you.
Go to the trail areas and go on very short walks for inspiration

Good Luck

Dayna on 3/11/99 at 00:00 (005450)

What kind of crappy HMO won't let you see a doctor? Never mind, I already know all about HMOs and primary care physicians who tell you to 'learn to live with chronic pain, there's nothing we can do'.

D--n, it makes me so angry I want to drive roofing nails into the heels of the people who decide that this is something they won't cover and let them see how they like it! insert music from Wagner's Cry of the Valkeries here

Congratulations on your 3 1/2 years of being nicotene free, that's a really good thing you did for yourself and your daughter, you beat tobacco, you can beat this.

What can we do to help? Let us know and we'll do our best, we care.

BillC on 3/11/99 at 00:00 (005452)

Hello Laura,

I have the same question. My wife and I have been hiking the Appalachian Trail in sections. We have hiked 560 miles of the AT and are up to Burkes Garden in Virginia. My last hike was Sept. 1998. It was on that trip that I developed PF. I have been doing streaches, icing, taking Glucosamine, and vitamin C. It does get better. My problem is when it gets better I will over do walking and get back to square one. I think I will try accupunture next, then maybe the dreaded shots. Hiking season is comming up and I dont want to miss it but I dont want to be back like I was in Sept. 1998. Can't give up and there are more things to try. Good luck with your future hiking.

Rosalind on 3/11/99 at 00:00 (005476)

I can really empathize. For 15 years, I skied 4 to 5 miles from my cabin just to get my mail or to get to my car, and I always felt secure in the belief that my feet were more reliable than my car. I live to hike and dance (Romanian and Scandinavian are very demanding on the feet. But with Zydego dancing you scarcely move your feet and a few months ago I felt better after Zydego. I'm too scared to try it now and am just trying to rest and get well). Sometimes I panic wondering how at the end of May, I am going to be able to drive 3,000 miles to go from Massachusetts to Montana. And then, starting in June I am scheduled to teach classes to people from around the country that involve long hikes. I am determined to get well, am trying as many things as I can, and will be sure to share what works. I think you will find this board invaluable for suggestions and support.

Laura on 3/12/99 at 00:00 (005487)

Thank you everybody for your caring responses. Scott, who are you that you set up this wonderful site for PF sufferers ?

jill on 3/12/99 at 00:00 (005493)

I, too used to be an avid hiker. Now on a good day I can hike a slow flat 2-3 miles, with a taped foot and some ibuprophen. It is hard to accept but I'm gratefull I can do that and have done a fair amount of travelling in the past 2 years to beautifull places and have picked short hikes wherever I go. I do hope someday I will be able to do more.

Gordon on 3/12/99 at 00:00 (005504)

Laura

I had PF for 2 years with no improvement until I tried some alternative stuff you'll read on here. That was about a year ago and since then I have periods of no pain and usually it is not too bad and I can do a lot. I've even gone on some short hikes. I take plenty of foot breaks when I need them and put my foot in a stream if it gets hot. In order to improve you need to stay as happy and positive as possible. Once you learn what works for you, you will get better. Do your own research and learn from others. Don't let bad doctors discourage you.
Go to the trail areas and go on very short walks for inspiration

Good Luck