Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Desprately looking for shoes/orthotics, tried high arch shoes, but ..

Posted by Zohreh on 3/11/99 at 00:00 (005457)

Hello everyone,
I have had PF for a long time. I used to have soft orthotic which
used to work for me. I had surgery two years ago since then I have
had a lot pain because of scare tissue, so I tried to get a new
orthotic since every couple years I used to change my orthotic.
Overall my right foot has been doing well over the last 2 years.
Over the past 6 months I tried serveral custom orthotics similar
to ones I used before but I guess because of the high arch my foot
gets more soar. I've tried several shoes, and I found out I cannot
tolerate very high arch shoes like mephisto or birkenstock. I used
to wear birkenstock couple years ago. I'm still stock to an old
orthotic and a pair of walking shoes. I really don't know what to do.
I think I need something with a low arch but high enough to give
me good support. I really appreciate any info. you could give me.
Thanks,
Zohreh

Re: Desprately looking for shoes/orthotics, tried high arch shoes, but ..

Dayna on 3/11/99 at 00:00 (005461)

Everyone's arch naturally falls a bit as we age, gravity can't even give us a break there. This may be what you're experiencing, advise going to a shoe store that specializes in fitting people with PF, have your foot measured and see what they recommend. The shoes may not be the dressiest and they may cost a bit more, but spending money on shoes that don't help is really throwing your cash away.

Helene on 3/11/99 at 00:00 (005462)

I can relate to what you're saying as I have a similar problem to yours. All of the orthotics that used to work for me do not work any more. The ones that used to help now hurt my arches. Never had surgery but maybe I have scar tissue, too, from so many episodes of PF for so many yrs. I, too, feel that I need a lower arch support, but one that will still support the arch without hurting. Haven't found the solution yet, but will let you know if I do.

BillC on 3/12/99 at 00:00 (005486)

I have and wear Birks AZ at home and they do hurt my arch some. You might try the Spenco, Polysorb inserts. These feel good to me - good support and nice cusion. I got mine at Sports Authority a sporting goods store. I removed the foot pad from my New Balance running shoes and from my walking shoes and replaced them with the Spenco insert. You can try them in the store and walk around for a while to check them out.

jill on 3/12/99 at 00:00 (005496)

In my two year search for comfortable shoes I have found one type Munro American (style-yellowstone) I now have three pairs. I used birks for quite awhile but found over time my foot would wear down and start hurting. Since I switched to these shoes always every moment I've had alot of improvement. I wear a soft orthotic in them.

Dayna on 3/11/99 at 00:00 (005461)

Everyone's arch naturally falls a bit as we age, gravity can't even give us a break there. This may be what you're experiencing, advise going to a shoe store that specializes in fitting people with PF, have your foot measured and see what they recommend. The shoes may not be the dressiest and they may cost a bit more, but spending money on shoes that don't help is really throwing your cash away.

Helene on 3/11/99 at 00:00 (005462)

I can relate to what you're saying as I have a similar problem to yours. All of the orthotics that used to work for me do not work any more. The ones that used to help now hurt my arches. Never had surgery but maybe I have scar tissue, too, from so many episodes of PF for so many yrs. I, too, feel that I need a lower arch support, but one that will still support the arch without hurting. Haven't found the solution yet, but will let you know if I do.

BillC on 3/12/99 at 00:00 (005486)

I have and wear Birks AZ at home and they do hurt my arch some. You might try the Spenco, Polysorb inserts. These feel good to me - good support and nice cusion. I got mine at Sports Authority a sporting goods store. I removed the foot pad from my New Balance running shoes and from my walking shoes and replaced them with the Spenco insert. You can try them in the store and walk around for a while to check them out.

jill on 3/12/99 at 00:00 (005496)

In my two year search for comfortable shoes I have found one type Munro American (style-yellowstone) I now have three pairs. I used birks for quite awhile but found over time my foot would wear down and start hurting. Since I switched to these shoes always every moment I've had alot of improvement. I wear a soft orthotic in them.