Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Night Splints - how long?

Posted by Jane on 3/15/99 at 00:00 (005552)

To anyone who has had success with a night splint...
How long did you have to wear it before you noticed relief? Then how long did you have to continue to wear it? I've been wearing one for six weeks now. That first morning step is much better but the heel gets progressively worse throughout the day and is back to being quite painful by the end of the day. I'm not sure if this is just another approach that isn't working or if I haven't given it enough time yet. My doctor says to keep up with it but I'm getting discouraged that I'm not seeing faster progress. Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Night Splints - how long?

BarbJ on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005579)

I am very interested in the responses to this question also. I am to pick up my new night splints today, wear them for eight weeks and then revisit by orthopod and see how I am doing. Anybody had much success with these--I am skeptical.

Chris on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005584)

I have been wearing a night splint for about 2 months now. It does take some getting use to, but I can really tell a difference when I get out of bed in the mornings. I am not reinjuring everytime I jump out. I think that really good stretching would do the same thing. It does not help with the pain during the day though. I will keep wearing mine until I heal though. My pod said we have no idea how often we keep tearing the injured fascia which keeps it inflamed and never getting completely healed since we are on our feet all of hte time. Makes sense to me.

BarbJ on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005585)

So--why are we not all in wheel chairs? If being on our feet keeps tearing the fascia, why doesn't anyone recommend staying off them for a few weeks. Does anyone out there have an explanation? This is a question I keep meaning to ask my doctor but keep forgetting.

Brock on 3/20/99 at 00:00 (005669)

I just want to give my feed back on the splints. I have problems with pf in both feet. I tried the splint (@ $225)on one foot and did get a great feeling of looseness in the morning but soon lost as the day went by. The boot, as I call it seemed to be more trouble than it was worth, sleeping in it. As a sufferer for 8 years, I am a strong believer that everyone is different and you have to try everything you can at 150% before you give in to surgery. I am trying burks for the last option before surgery. I will tell you that the SHOTS HURT like HELL! If you would like you can email me. Good luck and keep trying different things.

Jane on 3/23/99 at 00:00 (005730)

I have had pretty good results from the night splints - my doctor said it might take a month...but I have been at it for 2 weeks and notice a difference. I don't tighten them across the top of my foot too tightly, because it bites into me if I do. I think it's worth it to be patient and keep wearing them for awhile.

Bill on 6/19/99 at 00:00 (007912)

Have you all tried a stretching program along with night splinting? I had bouts of PF during my running career and used a product called the FootFlex. You have to use it fairly regularly (morning / evening...takes 5 minutes), but along with night splinting is sure beats shots and surgery. My DPM and ortho all felt good about the combination. The FootFlex has been re-released by some running buddies as http://www.selfsource.com . Give it a try. Let me know what you think. B

BarbJ on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005579)

I am very interested in the responses to this question also. I am to pick up my new night splints today, wear them for eight weeks and then revisit by orthopod and see how I am doing. Anybody had much success with these--I am skeptical.

Chris on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005584)

I have been wearing a night splint for about 2 months now. It does take some getting use to, but I can really tell a difference when I get out of bed in the mornings. I am not reinjuring everytime I jump out. I think that really good stretching would do the same thing. It does not help with the pain during the day though. I will keep wearing mine until I heal though. My pod said we have no idea how often we keep tearing the injured fascia which keeps it inflamed and never getting completely healed since we are on our feet all of hte time. Makes sense to me.

BarbJ on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005585)

So--why are we not all in wheel chairs? If being on our feet keeps tearing the fascia, why doesn't anyone recommend staying off them for a few weeks. Does anyone out there have an explanation? This is a question I keep meaning to ask my doctor but keep forgetting.

Brock on 3/20/99 at 00:00 (005669)

I just want to give my feed back on the splints. I have problems with pf in both feet. I tried the splint (@ $225)on one foot and did get a great feeling of looseness in the morning but soon lost as the day went by. The boot, as I call it seemed to be more trouble than it was worth, sleeping in it. As a sufferer for 8 years, I am a strong believer that everyone is different and you have to try everything you can at 150% before you give in to surgery. I am trying burks for the last option before surgery. I will tell you that the SHOTS HURT like HELL! If you would like you can email me. Good luck and keep trying different things.

Jane on 3/23/99 at 00:00 (005730)

I have had pretty good results from the night splints - my doctor said it might take a month...but I have been at it for 2 weeks and notice a difference. I don't tighten them across the top of my foot too tightly, because it bites into me if I do. I think it's worth it to be patient and keep wearing them for awhile.

Bill on 6/19/99 at 00:00 (007912)

Have you all tried a stretching program along with night splinting? I had bouts of PF during my running career and used a product called the FootFlex. You have to use it fairly regularly (morning / evening...takes 5 minutes), but along with night splinting is sure beats shots and surgery. My DPM and ortho all felt good about the combination. The FootFlex has been re-released by some running buddies as http://www.selfsource.com . Give it a try. Let me know what you think. B