Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Burks vs. "Docs"

Posted by Scott M on 3/15/99 at 00:00 (005563)

Just found this board...thanks for pulling this together, Scott.

Since I missed all the previous messages, please pardon me if this has already been asked:

I keep hearing about Burks, but what about Dr. Martin's? I've tried these on too, and I really like the support, but I don't want to buy them if they aren't going to be as good a Burks.

Thanks for any info!

Re: Burks vs. "Docs"

Michelle on 3/15/99 at 00:00 (005566)

I have a pair of Doc sandals that I love. I wear them all the time in the summer and I can stand in them for 12 hours w/no pain. However, their dress shoes kill my feet even if I wear them for a minute. I would recommend the sandals

Alicia on 3/15/99 at 00:00 (005569)

Just a recommendation - no one brand of shoe has helped everyone on this board. Birks help a lot of people, but some have mentioned Doc Martins as well as other brands. Unfortunately, we have to risk spending the money to find something that might work. I can't tell you how much I have spent on shoes, supplements, physical therapy, dr. visits, etc... so far with not much relief. If you are feeling some support with the Docs, wear them around the store as long as they will let you and if no soreness, discomfort - go for it. Good luck.

Cathie on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005574)

I find the heel of my Docs is too shallow when I put my orthotics in, so it makes it somewhat uncomfortable to walk. I guess it would depend on the type of orthotic, though. I wear them around the house some to try to get used to them before I venture out to work with them. Good luck!

BarbJ on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005578)

Alicia--Ditto on the fortune I have spent on trying to find a solution to the pain--and I still am! I have also given away more shoes than I care to admit because they ended up causing more pain. So now the only shoes I wear are a pair of Brooks running shoes which accommodate my super wedged orthotics (these are the only shoes deep enough for the orthotics), a pair of Stegman Clogs around the house and neighborhood (just bought these and they seem to be pretty comfortable) and a pair of slip on shower flip flops for when I go swimming. I have totally given up on finding a pair of low heeled dressy shoes that work. I am lucky that I don't have to dress up for work--everybody wears jeans, t-shirts and running shoes. I just suffer at those times (and there truly are not many, thank God!) when I must dress up and wear a non-supportive shoe. Best to all of you who have found relief with Birks--they simply don't fit my foot shape.

Michelle on 3/15/99 at 00:00 (005566)

I have a pair of Doc sandals that I love. I wear them all the time in the summer and I can stand in them for 12 hours w/no pain. However, their dress shoes kill my feet even if I wear them for a minute. I would recommend the sandals

Alicia on 3/15/99 at 00:00 (005569)

Just a recommendation - no one brand of shoe has helped everyone on this board. Birks help a lot of people, but some have mentioned Doc Martins as well as other brands. Unfortunately, we have to risk spending the money to find something that might work. I can't tell you how much I have spent on shoes, supplements, physical therapy, dr. visits, etc... so far with not much relief. If you are feeling some support with the Docs, wear them around the store as long as they will let you and if no soreness, discomfort - go for it. Good luck.

Cathie on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005574)

I find the heel of my Docs is too shallow when I put my orthotics in, so it makes it somewhat uncomfortable to walk. I guess it would depend on the type of orthotic, though. I wear them around the house some to try to get used to them before I venture out to work with them. Good luck!

BarbJ on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005578)

Alicia--Ditto on the fortune I have spent on trying to find a solution to the pain--and I still am! I have also given away more shoes than I care to admit because they ended up causing more pain. So now the only shoes I wear are a pair of Brooks running shoes which accommodate my super wedged orthotics (these are the only shoes deep enough for the orthotics), a pair of Stegman Clogs around the house and neighborhood (just bought these and they seem to be pretty comfortable) and a pair of slip on shower flip flops for when I go swimming. I have totally given up on finding a pair of low heeled dressy shoes that work. I am lucky that I don't have to dress up for work--everybody wears jeans, t-shirts and running shoes. I just suffer at those times (and there truly are not many, thank God!) when I must dress up and wear a non-supportive shoe. Best to all of you who have found relief with Birks--they simply don't fit my foot shape.