Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Severe flatfeet

Posted by John on 3/15/99 at 00:00 (005565)

I have had severe flat feet most of my life. I have been experiencing a lot of pain in the ankle and heel for the last 3 months in my left foot only. Does anyone know of a good insert or anything else that will help? My foot bothers me most when it is relaxed.

Re: Severe flatfeet

Alicia on 3/15/99 at 00:00 (005570)

If you haven't begun the adventure of trying to find out exactly what is wrong with your foot, you should probably get to either a podiatrist or orthopedic physician. Jury is out on which is better. Maybe you have a good relationship with your family physician and he/she can refer you to someone. Hopefully you will be diagnosed correctly and some treatment can be suggested to help you. (At this point, I hope it is not plantar fasciitis.) You can buy over the counter orthotics, supports, cushions, etc. that might help, but I think it would be better to try and find out exactly what the problem is. Good luck.

Alison on 3/15/99 at 00:00 (005572)

Before trying new shoes,orthotics etc, see a podiatrrist and/or an orthapod for an assessment.Some folks have complications that require a blend of treatments or a refined one. I found that I spent several hundred dollars on shoes that made my condition worse before I finally saw a podiatrist and an orthapod. Waiting can agravate your foot problems and prolong the healing process.

ken on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005582)

I too have very flat feet.You will find that this is the worst possible foot ailment to have.You have hudreds of nerves in the bottom of your feet and being flat footed puts a lot more pressure on them.I wear orthotics to keep from pronating and stretching the fascia.But the problem with that is that they feel like you are stepping on a baseball bat. You have no arch to support your feet. I would certainly get this checked out now!! before it gets worse.

Susie on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005593)

My husband has had very flat feet all of his life. He wears leather orthodics all the time.He works on concrete so that's the real test and the orthodics really help. He can't go barefoot at all or even wear flip flops and he has tried my birks and they kill his feet.
But what it gets down to you really need to find out if there is any other problem and get orthodics. Best of Luck.

Michael pryce MD on 5/31/99 at 00:00 (007358)

Please visit http://www.flatfoot.com . Your questions will be answered very nicely there

Kara on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009080)

John,
I totally sympathize with your painful feet! I have falling arches
which I am fortunate to have noticed before they totally fell flat
and got myself some professional orthotics. However, the podiatrist
wasn't much help after that. I have been visiting a sports therapist
and we have found out how terrible my posture is, might be something
to look into. Poor posture with locked knees can put incredible strain
on the feet. I also have some exercises to stretch out the feet that
I do each morining. They seem to feel better for a few hours after.
good luck,
kara

Alicia on 3/15/99 at 00:00 (005570)

If you haven't begun the adventure of trying to find out exactly what is wrong with your foot, you should probably get to either a podiatrist or orthopedic physician. Jury is out on which is better. Maybe you have a good relationship with your family physician and he/she can refer you to someone. Hopefully you will be diagnosed correctly and some treatment can be suggested to help you. (At this point, I hope it is not plantar fasciitis.) You can buy over the counter orthotics, supports, cushions, etc. that might help, but I think it would be better to try and find out exactly what the problem is. Good luck.

Alison on 3/15/99 at 00:00 (005572)

Before trying new shoes,orthotics etc, see a podiatrrist and/or an orthapod for an assessment.Some folks have complications that require a blend of treatments or a refined one. I found that I spent several hundred dollars on shoes that made my condition worse before I finally saw a podiatrist and an orthapod. Waiting can agravate your foot problems and prolong the healing process.

ken on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005582)

I too have very flat feet.You will find that this is the worst possible foot ailment to have.You have hudreds of nerves in the bottom of your feet and being flat footed puts a lot more pressure on them.I wear orthotics to keep from pronating and stretching the fascia.But the problem with that is that they feel like you are stepping on a baseball bat. You have no arch to support your feet. I would certainly get this checked out now!! before it gets worse.

Susie on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005593)

My husband has had very flat feet all of his life. He wears leather orthodics all the time.He works on concrete so that's the real test and the orthodics really help. He can't go barefoot at all or even wear flip flops and he has tried my birks and they kill his feet.
But what it gets down to you really need to find out if there is any other problem and get orthodics. Best of Luck.

Michael pryce MD on 5/31/99 at 00:00 (007358)

Please visit http://www.flatfoot.com . Your questions will be answered very nicely there

Kara on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009080)

John,
I totally sympathize with your painful feet! I have falling arches
which I am fortunate to have noticed before they totally fell flat
and got myself some professional orthotics. However, the podiatrist
wasn't much help after that. I have been visiting a sports therapist
and we have found out how terrible my posture is, might be something
to look into. Poor posture with locked knees can put incredible strain
on the feet. I also have some exercises to stretch out the feet that
I do each morining. They seem to feel better for a few hours after.
good luck,
kara