Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Diagnosis

Posted by Judy on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005580)

I was newly diagnosed with plantar fasciitis 2 days ago - I have sever pain on left heel. Is ice better than warm compresses for treatment? I am taking 800mg Advil 3 times a day. When will the pain go away?!!

Re: New Diagnosis

John C. on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005583)

Judy,
Sorry to hear about your problem. You remind me of me when I first discovered this board about 7 months ago. I was looking for a fix, a quick fix. I didn't find a quick fix but I learned what I needed to know to get over PF. It took time. I now consider myself cured. I think that you too can find all the information you need from this site. Read everything carefully that Scott has put on the home page, especially his 15 document. Read the messages. Be prepared to try anything and everything. You are a unique person and only you can find the answer of what works best for you. I hope that you find what it takes to cure PF for you. Until then, have patience.
Best of luck.

Dee on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005588)

Ice is much better. I have had PF for about 7 years and just went completed my last surgery. I used everything from ice to shots, PT and orthodics. Everyone is different though so don't despair, some of these things may work for you. Stretch you calf muscle in the AM it will help with the pain. Good luck.

BarbJ on 3/17/99 at 00:00 (005607)

Actually I prefer warmth for my pf. And you should warm the feet up before any exercising or stretching. When my feet get cold they ache and get really stiff. My primary m.d. says that warmth is really good for this but you should always ice after stretching or exercising to reduce the inflammation. Be sure you don't ice for longer than 15 or 20 minutes, though because it can cause skin burns.

John C. on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005583)

Judy,
Sorry to hear about your problem. You remind me of me when I first discovered this board about 7 months ago. I was looking for a fix, a quick fix. I didn't find a quick fix but I learned what I needed to know to get over PF. It took time. I now consider myself cured. I think that you too can find all the information you need from this site. Read everything carefully that Scott has put on the home page, especially his 15 document. Read the messages. Be prepared to try anything and everything. You are a unique person and only you can find the answer of what works best for you. I hope that you find what it takes to cure PF for you. Until then, have patience.
Best of luck.

Dee on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005588)

Ice is much better. I have had PF for about 7 years and just went completed my last surgery. I used everything from ice to shots, PT and orthodics. Everyone is different though so don't despair, some of these things may work for you. Stretch you calf muscle in the AM it will help with the pain. Good luck.

BarbJ on 3/17/99 at 00:00 (005607)

Actually I prefer warmth for my pf. And you should warm the feet up before any exercising or stretching. When my feet get cold they ache and get really stiff. My primary m.d. says that warmth is really good for this but you should always ice after stretching or exercising to reduce the inflammation. Be sure you don't ice for longer than 15 or 20 minutes, though because it can cause skin burns.