Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

OUR FEET ARE UNIQUE!!

Posted by SUSIE on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005594)

THE LAST COUPLE OF MONTHS READING EVERYTHING HERE HAS HELPED SO MUCH. I HAVE COME TO REALIZE THAT ALL OF OUR FEET ARE UNIQUE. DIFFERENT THINGS WORK FOR EACH ONE OF US. SOMETIMES WHEN MY FEET HURT REALLY BAD I WILL GO TO THE STAIRS, STAND ON MY TOES, DROP MY HEELS AND STRETCH AND WITHIN 5 MINUTES OR SO MY FEET FEEL BETTER. AND SOMEONE ELS MIGHT DO SOMETHING ELSE THAT WORKS FOR THEM.
I HAVE HIGH ARCHES AND LOVE BIRKS, THEY HAVE REALLY SAVED ME. THE
FELLOW FEET SUFFERS THAT BIRKS DON'T HELP, ARE YOUR FEET FLAT???
HAPPY ST PATRICKS DAY EVERYONE!!!!

Re: OUR FEET ARE UNIQUE!!

Annette on 3/17/99 at 00:00 (005596)

No, my feet are not flat, I would say I have an average arch.
What I do have is deterioration of the fat pad on the bottom of my foot both in the heel and metatarsal area. I am walking on bone with no cushion. The blue Birk arch support and the sandals both give excellent foot support but they are very hard and lumpy, with no fat pad they are just torture for me, like walking on lumpy hard concrete, they really hurt !

Re: OUR FEET ARE UNIQUE!! Stair Stretch.

John C. on 3/17/99 at 00:00 (005604)

Susie,
I have had PF for 11 months. During this time, I went to a gym and typically would go after work. Part of my workout for years has been to do toe raises on a step. I discovered early that on days when my heel was really hurting, I could do the toe raises and get an immediate relief. I would usually start out letting my heel drop as you but never tried to hold that stretch for very long. I still do the toe raises and still let my heel drop for a short time. I still feel that this was very beneficial to improving my PF. I'm not sure if the stretching part helped most or the strengthening part from raising the heel.
Best wishes to you.

BarbJ on 3/17/99 at 00:00 (005606)

I have very high arches and cannot wear Birks because I also have bunions which cause my big toes to point outward and hit the toe ridge wrong. Very uncomfortable... I just got back from swimming and find I feel really good and so do my feet, at least for a while. I also do toe raises as part of my strengthening exercises but have not noticed improvement in the pain yet. I do notice my feet are more flexible and stronger. Keep smiling...=O)

Susan Linden on 3/17/99 at 00:00 (005613)

I have the same problem. Loss of the fat pad in both heels. In both cases it was caused by accidently stepping on rocks. It damaged the tendons and caused the fat pad to go away. The left heel is better now, it was the one I damaged four years ago. I damaged the other heel just one year ago. The damage to the left foot caused the pain in the arch of my right foot. I guess I just put tool much strain on it trying to take the pressure off of the left heel. Sure wish I had known how to tape my feet. I still don't know how. And I am not sure where to go to learn.

GEORGE R. VALDEZ III on 7/24/99 at 00:00 (008986)

REMEMBER NO TWO FEET ARE THE SAME. I'VE BEEN IN THE FOOTWEAR BUSINESS FOR 15 YEARS. HIGH ARCHES, FLAT FEET, NARROW HEELS, WIDE FEET, REMEMBER THE CAUSE OF THE MAJORITY OF FOOT PROBLEMS , IS BECAUSE
OF WEARING THE WRONG FOOTWEAR AND MOST OF ALL IS THE WRONG SIZE.PLEASE REMEMBER TO HAVE BOTH OF YOUR FEET MEASURED AT ALL TIMES , WHEN BUYING NEW SHOES.IF YOUR FOOTWEAR SALESMAN DOES NOT MEASURE YOUR FEET FIRST, RUN..... A TRUE FOOTWEAR SALESMAN CARES MORE ABOUT FITTING YOU CORRECTLY THAN HIS/HER COMMISSION. THERE IS NOT MANY OF US AROUND BUT YOU CAN FIND US. A TRUE SHOE SALESMAN WILL KNOW ABOUT THE FOOTS COMPOSITION AND WILL RECOMMEND THE PROPER FOOTWEAR YOU NEED. I DONT BELIEVE A DOCTOR SHOULD RECOMMEND A PARTICULAR BRAND OF FOOTWEAR BECAUSE THERE IS SO MANY TYPES OUT IN THE MARKET. SHOE CONSTRUCTIONS ARE ALWAYS DIFFERENT , FROM LASTS, UPPERS, OUTSOLES, MIDSOLES, ETC....
MY CUSTOMERS MIGHT HAVE PLANTAR FACIATIS, A NEUROMA, HAMMER TOES, ACHILLES TENDONITIES, SO MANY FEET PROBLEMS BY NOT WEARING THE CORRECT SIZE OR SHOE. FEET SIZING CHANGE ALL YOUR LIFE... ONE FOOT IS ALWAYS DIFFERENT THAN THE OTHER..YOU WILL NOT ALWAYS WEAR THE SAME SIZE IN EVERY SHOE, PLEASE REMEMBER THAT. NEVER HAVE YOUR FEET MEASURED FROM HEEL TO TOE, BUT FROM YOUR HEEL TO YOUR BALL OF YOUR FOOT. THAT IS THE CORRECT WAY TO MEASURE FEET. THERE IS SO MUCH I CAN TEACH YOU ABOUT YOUR FEET AND HOW TO GET FITTED CORRECTLY. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL ME ANYTIME AT MY STORE ' THE WALKING CO. ' IN NEW ORLEANS 504-522-9255.
GEORGE ' DASHUMAN' VALDEZ

Annette on 3/17/99 at 00:00 (005596)

No, my feet are not flat, I would say I have an average arch.
What I do have is deterioration of the fat pad on the bottom of my foot both in the heel and metatarsal area. I am walking on bone with no cushion. The blue Birk arch support and the sandals both give excellent foot support but they are very hard and lumpy, with no fat pad they are just torture for me, like walking on lumpy hard concrete, they really hurt !

Re: OUR FEET ARE UNIQUE!! Stair Stretch.

John C. on 3/17/99 at 00:00 (005604)

Susie,
I have had PF for 11 months. During this time, I went to a gym and typically would go after work. Part of my workout for years has been to do toe raises on a step. I discovered early that on days when my heel was really hurting, I could do the toe raises and get an immediate relief. I would usually start out letting my heel drop as you but never tried to hold that stretch for very long. I still do the toe raises and still let my heel drop for a short time. I still feel that this was very beneficial to improving my PF. I'm not sure if the stretching part helped most or the strengthening part from raising the heel.
Best wishes to you.

BarbJ on 3/17/99 at 00:00 (005606)

I have very high arches and cannot wear Birks because I also have bunions which cause my big toes to point outward and hit the toe ridge wrong. Very uncomfortable... I just got back from swimming and find I feel really good and so do my feet, at least for a while. I also do toe raises as part of my strengthening exercises but have not noticed improvement in the pain yet. I do notice my feet are more flexible and stronger. Keep smiling...=O)

Susan Linden on 3/17/99 at 00:00 (005613)

I have the same problem. Loss of the fat pad in both heels. In both cases it was caused by accidently stepping on rocks. It damaged the tendons and caused the fat pad to go away. The left heel is better now, it was the one I damaged four years ago. I damaged the other heel just one year ago. The damage to the left foot caused the pain in the arch of my right foot. I guess I just put tool much strain on it trying to take the pressure off of the left heel. Sure wish I had known how to tape my feet. I still don't know how. And I am not sure where to go to learn.

GEORGE R. VALDEZ III on 7/24/99 at 00:00 (008986)

REMEMBER NO TWO FEET ARE THE SAME. I'VE BEEN IN THE FOOTWEAR BUSINESS FOR 15 YEARS. HIGH ARCHES, FLAT FEET, NARROW HEELS, WIDE FEET, REMEMBER THE CAUSE OF THE MAJORITY OF FOOT PROBLEMS , IS BECAUSE
OF WEARING THE WRONG FOOTWEAR AND MOST OF ALL IS THE WRONG SIZE.PLEASE REMEMBER TO HAVE BOTH OF YOUR FEET MEASURED AT ALL TIMES , WHEN BUYING NEW SHOES.IF YOUR FOOTWEAR SALESMAN DOES NOT MEASURE YOUR FEET FIRST, RUN..... A TRUE FOOTWEAR SALESMAN CARES MORE ABOUT FITTING YOU CORRECTLY THAN HIS/HER COMMISSION. THERE IS NOT MANY OF US AROUND BUT YOU CAN FIND US. A TRUE SHOE SALESMAN WILL KNOW ABOUT THE FOOTS COMPOSITION AND WILL RECOMMEND THE PROPER FOOTWEAR YOU NEED. I DONT BELIEVE A DOCTOR SHOULD RECOMMEND A PARTICULAR BRAND OF FOOTWEAR BECAUSE THERE IS SO MANY TYPES OUT IN THE MARKET. SHOE CONSTRUCTIONS ARE ALWAYS DIFFERENT , FROM LASTS, UPPERS, OUTSOLES, MIDSOLES, ETC....
MY CUSTOMERS MIGHT HAVE PLANTAR FACIATIS, A NEUROMA, HAMMER TOES, ACHILLES TENDONITIES, SO MANY FEET PROBLEMS BY NOT WEARING THE CORRECT SIZE OR SHOE. FEET SIZING CHANGE ALL YOUR LIFE... ONE FOOT IS ALWAYS DIFFERENT THAN THE OTHER..YOU WILL NOT ALWAYS WEAR THE SAME SIZE IN EVERY SHOE, PLEASE REMEMBER THAT. NEVER HAVE YOUR FEET MEASURED FROM HEEL TO TOE, BUT FROM YOUR HEEL TO YOUR BALL OF YOUR FOOT. THAT IS THE CORRECT WAY TO MEASURE FEET. THERE IS SO MUCH I CAN TEACH YOU ABOUT YOUR FEET AND HOW TO GET FITTED CORRECTLY. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL ME ANYTIME AT MY STORE ' THE WALKING CO. ' IN NEW ORLEANS 504-522-9255.
GEORGE ' DASHUMAN' VALDEZ