Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What about a walking cast?

Posted by Rosalind on 3/16/99 at 00:00 (005595)

Would a walking cast be a good compromise between giving the feet a rest and doing less damage to muscles, ligaments and tendons?

The night splint has taken care of the tearing feeling first thing in the morning, but why does my foot feel like the fascia is tearing sometimes even when I am sitting or lying down?

Re: What about a walking cast?

Kris on 3/18/99 at 00:00 (005614)

I have been using the night splints every night for the last 3 weeks. I see a big difference in the morning getting out of bed, but no difference in the day. Since last Wed, (one week now) I have been in a walking cast to heal the tendons. Its removeable so they can work with in in Physical Therapy so atrophy does not set in. (Plus I can shower without it!:) ) But the rest of the time I keep in on faithfully. Its very padded and comfy and feels like one of those UGG boots or afterski boots. It is the first time in a year I have walked around in no pain. I hope it works, Kris

BarbJ on 3/18/99 at 00:00 (005617)

I hate to breathe a negative note into this but I also wore that removable walking cast for 4 weeks with no pain until I stopped wearing it and then I was right back to square one! Hence my skepticism at wearing these night splints (first time last night on both feet and lots of tossing and turning). I did not feel much difference this morning when I got up but will wear them faithfully until my next dr. visit in 6-8 weeks. Maybe I'm just grumpy from not getting enough sleep last night...

damon cooper on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009033)

send me info on ligaments and tendons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kris on 3/18/99 at 00:00 (005614)

I have been using the night splints every night for the last 3 weeks. I see a big difference in the morning getting out of bed, but no difference in the day. Since last Wed, (one week now) I have been in a walking cast to heal the tendons. Its removeable so they can work with in in Physical Therapy so atrophy does not set in. (Plus I can shower without it!:) ) But the rest of the time I keep in on faithfully. Its very padded and comfy and feels like one of those UGG boots or afterski boots. It is the first time in a year I have walked around in no pain. I hope it works, Kris

BarbJ on 3/18/99 at 00:00 (005617)

I hate to breathe a negative note into this but I also wore that removable walking cast for 4 weeks with no pain until I stopped wearing it and then I was right back to square one! Hence my skepticism at wearing these night splints (first time last night on both feet and lots of tossing and turning). I did not feel much difference this morning when I got up but will wear them faithfully until my next dr. visit in 6-8 weeks. Maybe I'm just grumpy from not getting enough sleep last night...

damon cooper on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009033)

send me info on ligaments and tendons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!