Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Facitis

Posted by Susan Linden on 3/17/99 at 00:00 (005612)

I have had the condition for four years now. Good orthotics in my shoes have helped a lot. So has wearing two pairs of socks to cushion my heels. Anti-inflamitories help if taken on a regular schedule. Rolling the foot on a massage roller or a plastic soda bottle with water frozen in it will help when it gets bad after standing on my feet too long. Stretching is always helpfull, especially when you get up in the morning or after sitting for a long time. Try to avoid having the covers on the bed make your toes point, that shortens the tendons in the feet. A good massage therapist if worth their weight in gold when you have a bad attack. The man that makes my orthotics gave me a valuable piece of advice. Never buy shoes by the overall length from the heel to the toe. Make sure they measure your 'arch length'. That they slide the little side piece up to the joint of your big toe. Buy your shoes by that measurement. If the arch is in the wrong position in your shoe, your feet are going to HURT!!!

Re: Plantar Facitis

Eleanor on 3/18/99 at 00:00 (005616)

I had pain for about six months and it became severe in mid December. I went to a Foot clinic locally and was told to bind my foot and ankle when hiking etc. I was also told to use ice. I live in central Ontario and it was winter. Who wants to put ice on their feet. In mid January when I could'n stand it any longer I finally used an ice pack{the flexible gell kind) wrapped in a towel. I kept it under the most painful foot until it was almost numb. Much to my surprise the pain was almost gone in the morning. I am doing excercise, wearing basic Birkenstock's most of the time and use Birkenstock's blue shoe liner in every other shoe or boot I own. At times it flairs up again and I just use the ice pack. The Chiropodist that I went to said that it was not so much my weight or age but that I had changed something about my walking in the last few years. This was true. I used to live in a big city where I wore only high heels and never walked if I could drive. I have moved to the country and haven't worn heels since and walk and hike everywhere. She said that it was the falling arches that started it all. Ice works!! Eleanor

Cathie on 3/18/99 at 00:00 (005620)

I'm in Ontario, too - makes it awkward to wear Birks year-round, but I am getting used to carting my shoes around with me wherever I go )love me, love my shoes!) And I agree, icing does help; those gel packs are great.

Scott on 3/18/99 at 00:00 (005621)

He said it was the falling arches, but it could be the lack of flexibility in your calf muscles caused by the high heels allowing the calf muscles to shorten and no walking combined with the sudden increase in walking and no high heels. Wear stuff that has at least 1 inch heels such as layers of cardboard in the shoe or high heels and start stretching the calf muscles 3 times a day.

Eleanor on 3/18/99 at 00:00 (005616)

I had pain for about six months and it became severe in mid December. I went to a Foot clinic locally and was told to bind my foot and ankle when hiking etc. I was also told to use ice. I live in central Ontario and it was winter. Who wants to put ice on their feet. In mid January when I could'n stand it any longer I finally used an ice pack{the flexible gell kind) wrapped in a towel. I kept it under the most painful foot until it was almost numb. Much to my surprise the pain was almost gone in the morning. I am doing excercise, wearing basic Birkenstock's most of the time and use Birkenstock's blue shoe liner in every other shoe or boot I own. At times it flairs up again and I just use the ice pack. The Chiropodist that I went to said that it was not so much my weight or age but that I had changed something about my walking in the last few years. This was true. I used to live in a big city where I wore only high heels and never walked if I could drive. I have moved to the country and haven't worn heels since and walk and hike everywhere. She said that it was the falling arches that started it all. Ice works!! Eleanor

Cathie on 3/18/99 at 00:00 (005620)

I'm in Ontario, too - makes it awkward to wear Birks year-round, but I am getting used to carting my shoes around with me wherever I go )love me, love my shoes!) And I agree, icing does help; those gel packs are great.

Scott on 3/18/99 at 00:00 (005621)

He said it was the falling arches, but it could be the lack of flexibility in your calf muscles caused by the high heels allowing the calf muscles to shorten and no walking combined with the sudden increase in walking and no high heels. Wear stuff that has at least 1 inch heels such as layers of cardboard in the shoe or high heels and start stretching the calf muscles 3 times a day.