Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just diagnosed with questions about symptoms

Posted by Robin on 3/18/99 at 00:00 (005626)

My doctor just diagnosed me with PF because of the pain I felt when he pressed specific areas of my foot. My chief complaint when I went in was numbness, not pain. He ruled out other problems based on my family history. He suggested heel cups and ibuprofen to help, and now, just one week later, my feet are worse. The pain I'm feeling is not in my heel at all. Now it seems to be like bruises on the balls of my feet. Also, my feet and toes seem to be swollen. Does this sound like PF to anyone else? I just don't know anything about it, except that it seems I should have more pain in my heel than elsewhere. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Just diagnosed with questions about symptoms

alex on 3/18/99 at 00:00 (005634)

Hi to regulars! Its now eight weeks since I have had anything more than very minor pain - I now have to remind myself to stretch in the mornings!

As far as pain in the ball of the foot is concerned, remember that the plantar fascia stretches from the heel bone right along the foot and across the ball of the foot. When I was in severe PF pain I had significant pain and numbness on the ball of the foot - and also pain right around the heel area and into the Achilles tendon. It appears that the inflammation of the plantar fascia where it joins the heel bone can cause pain all through the foot area. I don't think that anyone knows the reason why.

All the various treatments that I had - especially the acupuncture which releived pain significantly over a period of time, and then one cortizone shot right intp the heel impacted far beyond the actual heel-pf join area.
Best wishes

Cathie on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005644)

Several years ago when my daughter was a Canadian Sea Cadet and doing a lot of drill, she complained of severe pain in the ball of one foot which was diagnosed a plantar fasciitis. It seemed to resolve itself over time, but that may have been because she was fairly young at the time (13 or 14). She didn't stop the cadet thing and eventually taught a lot of drill, and still does in fact. She has had no recurrence. Lucky her.

Barbara on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005651)

Robin, I too was diagnosed with PF and did have heel pain. That got better but then I developed pain in my toes. A sort of numbness, it did hurt at times, this was diagnosed as Mortons Neuroma. It involves the third and fourth metatarsel and is caused by the nerve there being pinched. Is it possible maybe this is what you are suffering from?

Valerie on 3/20/99 at 00:00 (005661)

Robin,
I have been suffering with heel pain for over a year.
My doctor gave me cortizone injections,,which have not helped,,I havent experienced any numbness in my heels or toes,The one thing that has seemed to help me is keeping my feet wrapped btween the heel and arch,,and wearing better shoes for support

alex on 3/18/99 at 00:00 (005634)

Hi to regulars! Its now eight weeks since I have had anything more than very minor pain - I now have to remind myself to stretch in the mornings!

As far as pain in the ball of the foot is concerned, remember that the plantar fascia stretches from the heel bone right along the foot and across the ball of the foot. When I was in severe PF pain I had significant pain and numbness on the ball of the foot - and also pain right around the heel area and into the Achilles tendon. It appears that the inflammation of the plantar fascia where it joins the heel bone can cause pain all through the foot area. I don't think that anyone knows the reason why.

All the various treatments that I had - especially the acupuncture which releived pain significantly over a period of time, and then one cortizone shot right intp the heel impacted far beyond the actual heel-pf join area.
Best wishes

Cathie on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005644)

Several years ago when my daughter was a Canadian Sea Cadet and doing a lot of drill, she complained of severe pain in the ball of one foot which was diagnosed a plantar fasciitis. It seemed to resolve itself over time, but that may have been because she was fairly young at the time (13 or 14). She didn't stop the cadet thing and eventually taught a lot of drill, and still does in fact. She has had no recurrence. Lucky her.

Barbara on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005651)

Robin, I too was diagnosed with PF and did have heel pain. That got better but then I developed pain in my toes. A sort of numbness, it did hurt at times, this was diagnosed as Mortons Neuroma. It involves the third and fourth metatarsel and is caused by the nerve there being pinched. Is it possible maybe this is what you are suffering from?

Valerie on 3/20/99 at 00:00 (005661)

Robin,
I have been suffering with heel pain for over a year.
My doctor gave me cortizone injections,,which have not helped,,I havent experienced any numbness in my heels or toes,The one thing that has seemed to help me is keeping my feet wrapped btween the heel and arch,,and wearing better shoes for support