Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

moldable Birk orthotics

Posted by Rosalind on 3/18/99 at 00:00 (005631)

Just found out about 2 Birk orthotics available through a podiatrist. I was told they are similar to the blue birks but were designed for plantar faciitis and a list of other problems. They are the High-Flanged Birko-Cork Shell and the Orthopedic Birko-Cork Shell. They can be molded by heating. Since I found the Blue Birks too high for my arch and 2 pairs of custom orthotics didn't work, I will be checking this out further. Has anyone tried them?

Re: moldable Birk orthotics

Bill on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005637)

I find the blue birk insert very unconfortable. Feels like I have a rock under the ball of my foot. I have $300 custom orthotics that feel fine walking but start hurting as soon as I stand still. They seem to hard. I wish the blue insert was more like an actual birkenstock arizona shoe. I will be interested in seeing these cork inserts too.

Bill

Shelby on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005650)

I have the cork inserts. I can't wear Birks, but I can wear the cork inserts.
I was walking last night and it suddenly occured to me that all of the inserts I've tried seem to make me walk on the outside of my heel...which is where most of my pain is.

Sue on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005808)

I was fitted with the Birk cork orthotic in Jan. I wore them all the time in a Clark desert boot. In March I bought New Balance 586 running shoes. They are designed to have the footbed removed and replaced with an orthotic. Since the Birk's are only 3/4 length, they were uncomfortable wearing without the footbed. So I stopped wearing the Birk orthotic-I did not noticed any difference without the orthoic. In fact,I started using heel cushions not only for height but for softness. Clearly better than the Birk inserts.

Bill on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005637)

I find the blue birk insert very unconfortable. Feels like I have a rock under the ball of my foot. I have $300 custom orthotics that feel fine walking but start hurting as soon as I stand still. They seem to hard. I wish the blue insert was more like an actual birkenstock arizona shoe. I will be interested in seeing these cork inserts too.

Bill

Shelby on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005650)

I have the cork inserts. I can't wear Birks, but I can wear the cork inserts.
I was walking last night and it suddenly occured to me that all of the inserts I've tried seem to make me walk on the outside of my heel...which is where most of my pain is.

Sue on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005808)

I was fitted with the Birk cork orthotic in Jan. I wore them all the time in a Clark desert boot. In March I bought New Balance 586 running shoes. They are designed to have the footbed removed and replaced with an orthotic. Since the Birk's are only 3/4 length, they were uncomfortable wearing without the footbed. So I stopped wearing the Birk orthotic-I did not noticed any difference without the orthoic. In fact,I started using heel cushions not only for height but for softness. Clearly better than the Birk inserts.