Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery 11 weeks ago!

Posted by Mary on 3/18/99 at 00:00 (005632)

HI!

I HAD PF SURGERY 11 WEEKS AGO. I SUFFERED WITH PF FOR 1 1/2 YEARS PRIOR TO SURGERY. I HAD 4 (VERRRRY PAINFUL) CORTISONE INJECTIONS, PHYSICAL THERAPY, IONTOPHERESIS, ORTHOTICS, ICE, HEEL CUPS, ANTI-INFLAMMATORY, NIGHT SPLINT. NOTHING WORKED. I WENT TO 3 PODIATRISTS, 2 OTHOPAEDIC SURGEONS. THE LAST ORTHO DID SURGERY AND CUT UNDER MY HEELS SO HE COULD SEE BETTER. HERE IT IS ELEVEN WEEKS LATER, I HAVE NOT RETURNED TO WORK, AND MY FEET ARE IN SEVERE PAIN. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO! THE DOCTOR NOW SAYS IT IS PROBABLY SCAR TISSUE CAUSING THE PAIN. I HAVE BEEN RELIGIOUSLY DOING MY STRETCHING AND EXERCISING. I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING THE DOCTOR SAID. I AM SO AFRAID IT WON'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS. I CANNOT TOLERATE ANY WALKING LIKE GOING TO THE GROCERY STORE, MALL, ETC. I HAVE TO GO IN A WHEEL CHAIR. IT HURTS SEVERELY WHEN I STAND FOR ANY PERIOD OF TIME. FOR EXAMPLE, I CANNOT STAND LONG ENOUGH TO APPLY MY MAKEUP. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME IF THEY HAD THIS PROBLEM AND IF TIME WAS THE ANSWER. I CAN CONTINUE WAITING IF I KNEW THAT IT WILL EVENTUALLY GET BETTER. BY THE WAY, I HAD THE SURGERY IN BOTH FEET.

SOMEONE PLEASE RESPOND--EITHER A DOCTOR OR PF PATIENTS! THANKS!

Re: surgery 11 weeks ago!

Cheryl R. on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005636)

I had the 'full release' surgery 11/98. I was cut on the side of the foot, though, not on the bottom of the heel. The first couple weeks I thought I was 'cured' and would have no more pain... the pain started back up worse than before the surgery. Like you, I could not even walk around the grocery store. After a month of the severe pain, I went to see my primary care physician. My surgeon gave me a prescription for pain killers and told me 'he'd see me in 6 weeks'...I went to Physical Therapy, on advise from my primary care physician and not my surgeon, and after 3 weeks of PT I had no more pain. I am able to run again : ) with no pain. I've been out of PT for several weeks so far and am doing great. I'm not sure if PT is the answer for you or not, but it might be worth a try. Good luck and I hope you get some relief from the pain.

BarbJ on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005639)

I have a friend who had both feet operated on (not at the same time). She went to an acupuncturist after surgery specifically to reduce the scar tissue. Her experience is that the scar tissue was reduced in record time, i.e. much sooner than without acupuncture--in fact her doctor was amazed! You have to keep going for acupuncture for a number of treatments (I don't know how many is recommended) but if you can find a good acupuncturist in your area I would definitely give it a try. It isn't cheap but my insurance will cover it and maybe yours will too. The cost is usually around $40-$50 per treatment but some have found acupuncturists for less with good results. Hope this helps.

scott on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005640)

tape, tape, tape, rest, rest, rest, massage, massage, massage

The stretching in your case might be bad.

Mary on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005645)

Hi--it's me again-Mary. I forgot to mention in my previous message that the surgeon now wants to inject cortisone in my feet. I have had injections 4 times last year before the surgery--now he wants to do it again. Should I????????? I have high blood pressure that shoots up every time I get an injection.

Also, Cheryl, what type of PT did you have? What about massage? Should I go to a massage therapist or I have a Homedics foot massager. Will that work?

Thank, Mary

Cheryl R. on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005646)

I had a combination in PT.. When I first went in they used this machine that got the blood flowing to my foot... then he would massage the foot for about 10 minutes and then he slowly started stretching it... after the first 2 weeks I started stretching exercises he told me to do. Nothing major and nothing that caused alot of pain. It slowly got better and better... it didn't happen right away. He also told me to massage the area where the scar is to 'break up' the scar tissue.. this also helped me alot.. I just used my hands and sometimes a hand held massager that included heat.
Hope this helps

Valerie on 3/20/99 at 00:00 (005662)

Mary,
I know the pain you are going through,,and I too have had several cortizone shots which did not work,,I am trying to look for a job,,but I know it will have to be one where I do not have to stand for long periods of time,but this scares me because the pain at times is sooo unbearable,,I too hate the idea of having to walk anywhere,,and I have 4 children,,so ofcourse I cant just sit around with my feet propped up all day,,My doctor suggested physical therapy but unfortunately I can not afford that,,so for now I am keeping my feet wrapped at the arch,,in between the arch and heel,,this has helped me some but its not something i can continue to do,,I bought better shoes,,but that was of no help,,it helped a little but not enough.

Cheryl R. on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005636)

I had the 'full release' surgery 11/98. I was cut on the side of the foot, though, not on the bottom of the heel. The first couple weeks I thought I was 'cured' and would have no more pain... the pain started back up worse than before the surgery. Like you, I could not even walk around the grocery store. After a month of the severe pain, I went to see my primary care physician. My surgeon gave me a prescription for pain killers and told me 'he'd see me in 6 weeks'...I went to Physical Therapy, on advise from my primary care physician and not my surgeon, and after 3 weeks of PT I had no more pain. I am able to run again : ) with no pain. I've been out of PT for several weeks so far and am doing great. I'm not sure if PT is the answer for you or not, but it might be worth a try. Good luck and I hope you get some relief from the pain.

BarbJ on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005639)

I have a friend who had both feet operated on (not at the same time). She went to an acupuncturist after surgery specifically to reduce the scar tissue. Her experience is that the scar tissue was reduced in record time, i.e. much sooner than without acupuncture--in fact her doctor was amazed! You have to keep going for acupuncture for a number of treatments (I don't know how many is recommended) but if you can find a good acupuncturist in your area I would definitely give it a try. It isn't cheap but my insurance will cover it and maybe yours will too. The cost is usually around $40-$50 per treatment but some have found acupuncturists for less with good results. Hope this helps.

scott on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005640)

tape, tape, tape, rest, rest, rest, massage, massage, massage

The stretching in your case might be bad.

Mary on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005645)

Hi--it's me again-Mary. I forgot to mention in my previous message that the surgeon now wants to inject cortisone in my feet. I have had injections 4 times last year before the surgery--now he wants to do it again. Should I????????? I have high blood pressure that shoots up every time I get an injection.

Also, Cheryl, what type of PT did you have? What about massage? Should I go to a massage therapist or I have a Homedics foot massager. Will that work?

Thank, Mary

Cheryl R. on 3/19/99 at 00:00 (005646)

I had a combination in PT.. When I first went in they used this machine that got the blood flowing to my foot... then he would massage the foot for about 10 minutes and then he slowly started stretching it... after the first 2 weeks I started stretching exercises he told me to do. Nothing major and nothing that caused alot of pain. It slowly got better and better... it didn't happen right away. He also told me to massage the area where the scar is to 'break up' the scar tissue.. this also helped me alot.. I just used my hands and sometimes a hand held massager that included heat.
Hope this helps

Valerie on 3/20/99 at 00:00 (005662)

Mary,
I know the pain you are going through,,and I too have had several cortizone shots which did not work,,I am trying to look for a job,,but I know it will have to be one where I do not have to stand for long periods of time,but this scares me because the pain at times is sooo unbearable,,I too hate the idea of having to walk anywhere,,and I have 4 children,,so ofcourse I cant just sit around with my feet propped up all day,,My doctor suggested physical therapy but unfortunately I can not afford that,,so for now I am keeping my feet wrapped at the arch,,in between the arch and heel,,this has helped me some but its not something i can continue to do,,I bought better shoes,,but that was of no help,,it helped a little but not enough.