Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

calcaneal bursitis

Posted by Judy on 3/22/99 at 00:00 (005714)

I have had PF since 1990. I stated wearing Footmaxx othotics in '93 with good results until last summer. It all started after I played tennis for the first time in many years. Went to podiatrist in Sept and diagnosed with bursitis in right heel. Had 2 cortisone injections- both failed. Had foot in cast for 3 weeks over Holidays with no weight bearing. Came out of cast worse than ever. Have tried several Nsaids and Celebrex with no relief. Doctor suggests that I consider surgery,but I'm not sure what surgery for bursitis entails,and I can't find any literature. Has anyone been down this road?

Re: calcaneal bursitis

sharon on 3/28/99 at 00:00 (005803)

Ihave beensuffering with this plantar faciaiitis for 5 yrs off and on.
First in the left foot ,which respnded to cortisone injections,took 3.
Now its in the right,Ive had 3 injections,orthotics(custom),iovisits to physical theraphy still no better. I did not want surgery,doesnt make sense to me,due to the thoughts of scar tissue formation. So I heard about someones success with a massage therapist for this same problem. My 1st visit was $35 for one half hour. t he pain was so excruciating,and I actually seemed worse the rest of the week. Due to desperation,I went for a second visit again very painful but I improved by about 50%,am also wearing night splint. I am going back for a third visit this week and am much encouraged.I am anR.N. on my feet all day,in a surgical day care and recovery room. ggod luck!

Sue on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005809)

I was told I had bursitis in the heel as well. The podiatrist gave me cushy heel pads. It seems any hard orthotic including Birk inserts are very painful.

sharon on 3/28/99 at 00:00 (005803)

Ihave beensuffering with this plantar faciaiitis for 5 yrs off and on.
First in the left foot ,which respnded to cortisone injections,took 3.
Now its in the right,Ive had 3 injections,orthotics(custom),iovisits to physical theraphy still no better. I did not want surgery,doesnt make sense to me,due to the thoughts of scar tissue formation. So I heard about someones success with a massage therapist for this same problem. My 1st visit was $35 for one half hour. t he pain was so excruciating,and I actually seemed worse the rest of the week. Due to desperation,I went for a second visit again very painful but I improved by about 50%,am also wearing night splint. I am going back for a third visit this week and am much encouraged.I am anR.N. on my feet all day,in a surgical day care and recovery room. ggod luck!

Sue on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005809)

I was told I had bursitis in the heel as well. The podiatrist gave me cushy heel pads. It seems any hard orthotic including Birk inserts are very painful.