Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Take Care with Atkin Diet

Posted by John C. on 3/23/99 at 00:00 (005721)

Jill, I am not an expert on diets. About 6 months ago, a brotherinlaw went on this diet. After about 4 months on it, he went into the hospital with extreme stomach pain and couldn't eat anything without making the problem worse. He spent 2 weeks in the hospital. They ran every test they could think of. Finally, they did exploratory surgery and found nothing. They sent him home and told him to go back to a balanced diet. He has had no more problems. Was it the diet? Coincidence? He thinks it was the diet. Take care with this diet.

jill on 3/24/99 at 00:00 (005745)

Thanks, John, for your warning. There are some who cannot tolerate the diet in its extreme forms. If I have any odd symptoms, trust me, I will be very quick to abondon it. I do know that if there are high levels of uric acid, this diet can lead to kidney stones due to the high levels of protein. However, I current feel great, have lost 30lbs. and am scheduled for a full check up next week. . .

jill on 3/24/99 at 00:00 (005745)

Thanks, John, for your warning. There are some who cannot tolerate the diet in its extreme forms. If I have any odd symptoms, trust me, I will be very quick to abondon it. I do know that if there are high levels of uric acid, this diet can lead to kidney stones due to the high levels of protein. However, I current feel great, have lost 30lbs. and am scheduled for a full check up next week. . .