Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Depressed and Worried. New Here!

Posted by Rebecca on 3/23/99 at 00:00 (005729)

Hi, I've been dealing with heel pain for 4 years now. In the last 12 months it's been so bad that my activities have been cut short. I cannot go for long walks with my boxer any more. No exercise. And that makes me gain weight. I am 5'3' and weigh 156 lb.

And basically i am glad just to get through the day without having to take pain meds. I have a high pain threshold. Another way of saying i am extremely chicken to go back to my podiatrist.

I have been diagnosed with PF on both feet with my left being the worst. The pain is so bad even the lightest touch on a large part of my heel is agony. I am supposed to do stretching exercises but it's so painful i avoid it. Should i exercise through the pain? I am a lot on my feet. ALthough i am giving up my job which required a great deal of walking. Maybe that'll help.

I am depressed and worried. I am 30. Where will i be when 50? Will i be able to walk at all?

I am scared of going to my Podiatrist. He loves to grab my heel and dig his thumb in it. It's agony enough to make me dizzy. He gave me a cortizone injection once on the left heel, It was painful but helped. But it's as bad as ever. And the Naproxen he prescribed is bad! I am quite allergic to it. One Pill and I have stomack pain and tummy upset for 4 days. I use up about 1 bottle of Mylanta extra strength and extra fast in 4 days.

My feet hurt even when i sit. This is chronic pain and i'm fed up.

What can i do? the pain runs from the back of the heel righ to the classic PF spot. I limp all the time. Nice size heel spurs too.

Please help! I had no idea this was so common!

Rebecca

Re: Depressed and Worried. New Here!

Robin on 3/23/99 at 00:00 (005733)

Rebecca, wish we COULD help. The best we can do here is care and suggest. Usually people find their own combinations of treatments and remedies to see what works for the individual.

If you haven't already. I would suggest you read Scott's main document. I would also suggest you weave your way through the archived messages. Try to isolate ideas that you think will work for you, research them and try them for however long it appears you need to. Personally, I do not believe any doctor's examination of your foot should cause pain. If you have a podiatrist who grabs your foot and jabs your heel with his thumb -- maybe another doc is in order.

Like you -- I have PF in both feet. It was wicked last summer; it's about 50% better now. I wear Birkenstocks exclusively. They don't work for some people -- but they definitely help me. I had none in December -- now I have 5 pairs. I have a sit-down job; I no longer walk for exercise, I use a stationary bike; I DO NOT stretch because despite all the promo, it definitely harms my feet. I take 2000 mgs of glucosamine each day, a lot of vitamin C too, hardly anything beyond Tylenol for pain. I do stay off my feet whenever possible, and yes it's a drag. But I do get around for basic living chores and requirements, and I am not in constant pain. There is LOTS to try and lots of combinations. This is a good board; regardless of what you try, you will find strong support here. At least everyone reading this board understand foot pain and wants everyone else reading this board to get better. That's more than I can say for the world at large.

Hang in there.

Dayna on 3/23/99 at 00:00 (005734)

1) Get your self a new doctor. We have enough pain without the people who are supposed to be helping us adding to it. A gentle pressure to isolate where the pain is and feel for inflammation is more than sufficient. There are good practitioners out there, you don't have one of them. If you can't change, the next time s/he pushes KICK them, hard. At least think about it, we could all use a good giggle now and then.

2) DO NOT exercise through the pain, pain is a signal that something is wrong. But, you must also not just sit and listen to your joints harden. My late mother was a nursing home administrator and was constantly having issues with family who wanted to know why the staff was so cruel to make momma walk when her knees or hips hurt. Her answer always was 'If she sits down she'll never stand up again' and she was right. Apply ice and take some pain pills (heck, have a few Tylenol and a good stiff shot of single malt), then start stretching ever so gently. It's going to hurt. But the more you do it the less it will hurt, just be sure to go slowly and gradually increase the stretch. It won't get better if you leave it alone, I guarantee it.

3) Cortizone shots are iffy and nearly always of short-term use to relieve pain. It reduces the swelling and can allow the tendon to heal, but that takes months and if you reinjure it's back to square one (I know, I did it). If Naproxen wracks up your tummy don't take it, try another anti-inflammatory because that's really what it is, it doesn't relieve the pain it reduces the inflammation and thus the pain.

4) You can't go for long walks because you limp. Ok, can you bicycle? I didn't used to be able to, even that caused pain, but I got an idea and my husband made big platforms that sit on the pedals of my stationary bike so I push flat-footed all the time. That works, I do between 15 and 35 minutes every night, always 30 if I did less the day before. It's only been a few weeks but I think it's making a difference in my weight (I'm 5' 4' and up to 190 from 120). I also started working out with hand-weights to increase upper body strength and build some muscle which of course burns fat. Can you do scissor kicks or bicycles in the air, fill up the hot tub and kick, go to a YMCA pool and do water aerobics, move anything that doesn't hurt, kick a pillow, do something. Heck, getting mad at me for all these stupid suggestions might burn a few calories!

Lest you think I'm way too perky, I'm one of those like you who hurts all the time, I don't take painkillers unless I really really have to because I would start depending on them to get through the day. I have custom orthotics which I wear 23 1/2 hours a day, can't remember what it feels like to be barefoot, limp around worse than my 80 year old granny and I'm in my 30's too. This sucks, sucks big time, the only thing that gets me through sometimes is this board and my 'pity party' kit. It is really hard not to get emotionally as beat up as we are physically, I know that, I'm scared sometimes too. I have to keep reminding myself of what I CAN do, and get inventive about alternatives to the things we used to take for granted. Keep coming to the board, more people have ideas of things you can try, and we all care.

barbara2 on 3/23/99 at 00:00 (005735)

Dayna,pity party kit? I need one today. I hope its got a big wad of kleenex. And a huge margarita.
Don't usually feel sorry for myself, its just one of those days.
You know, trying to speed hobble out of the way of cars in parking lots, etc.
I'm starting to think about surgury agian, but unless I lose weight, I don't think it'll be too effective.
Will check in with you guys again when I'm not so whiney, thnaks for listening (reading?).

Re: Depressed and Worried

Alicia on 3/23/99 at 00:00 (005738)

Rebecca: I can't say anything any better than Dayna. So many of us feel just like you. Keep reading the messages on the board - go to Scott's home page and read about everything. Stretching also hurt for me too at the beginning, but now it really helps. The vitamin C may be working for me, along with ice, stretching and riding my bike to stay active. I'm also trying to eat mostly vegetables, fruit, fish and chicken and lots of water- just a basic healthy diet. Listen to really good music to help keep your spirits up. Kneel on a big pillow and use light hand weights. Do leg lifts while lying on the floor, and abdominal crunches. Try everything and keep your chin up. Like Dayna and others say, sitting still will not make things better, either. Good luck. We do care.

jill on 3/24/99 at 00:00 (005746)

I could have written the above message from Robyn. . .Identical situation. Its very tough and some days I allow myself to feel sorry for myself, but most of the time I try to focus on what I can do and heels be damned. I ice and elevate and sometimes stretch. I wear Birkenstocks nearly constantly (except in the office - its a very professional atmosphere and I generally cave and wear a low heel with orthotics) and highly, highly recommend them. I have several pair and dearly love them. They have become my feet.

When I am fighting the depression, what usually helps is thinking about cancer, aids, and muscular diseases. I usually must admit to loving my PF in relation to the consequences of those inflictions. Chin up. Rely on the support group here. It helps a tremendous amount.

barbara2 on 3/26/99 at 00:00 (005775)

this is my first time on this page, i too have been suffering with pf for over 3 years, i wear orthodics all day everyday don't take them off until its time for bed.
this pf has caused me to stop working for months just to get relief, i am a health care professional on my feet all day. i am now considering casting or surgery, everyone is tired of hearing me complain about my feet,legs and hips only wish they understood.

if you have any other suggestions i would love to hear
them. i have tried everything.

cheryl langston on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007972)

I also have PF with a tendon problem and facing more surger...a tendon streching....How can you deal with such pain for four years? I need to lose weight and hope to avoid the surgery next month. I'm tired of being in pain. And I just discovered that my good buddy has sleep apnea...if anyone out there knows more about sleep apnea please contact me.

cheryl on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007974)

Hope you feel better.

cheryl on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007975)

This is a test

Robin on 3/23/99 at 00:00 (005733)

Rebecca, wish we COULD help. The best we can do here is care and suggest. Usually people find their own combinations of treatments and remedies to see what works for the individual.

If you haven't already. I would suggest you read Scott's main document. I would also suggest you weave your way through the archived messages. Try to isolate ideas that you think will work for you, research them and try them for however long it appears you need to. Personally, I do not believe any doctor's examination of your foot should cause pain. If you have a podiatrist who grabs your foot and jabs your heel with his thumb -- maybe another doc is in order.

Like you -- I have PF in both feet. It was wicked last summer; it's about 50% better now. I wear Birkenstocks exclusively. They don't work for some people -- but they definitely help me. I had none in December -- now I have 5 pairs. I have a sit-down job; I no longer walk for exercise, I use a stationary bike; I DO NOT stretch because despite all the promo, it definitely harms my feet. I take 2000 mgs of glucosamine each day, a lot of vitamin C too, hardly anything beyond Tylenol for pain. I do stay off my feet whenever possible, and yes it's a drag. But I do get around for basic living chores and requirements, and I am not in constant pain. There is LOTS to try and lots of combinations. This is a good board; regardless of what you try, you will find strong support here. At least everyone reading this board understand foot pain and wants everyone else reading this board to get better. That's more than I can say for the world at large.

Hang in there.

Dayna on 3/23/99 at 00:00 (005734)

1) Get your self a new doctor. We have enough pain without the people who are supposed to be helping us adding to it. A gentle pressure to isolate where the pain is and feel for inflammation is more than sufficient. There are good practitioners out there, you don't have one of them. If you can't change, the next time s/he pushes KICK them, hard. At least think about it, we could all use a good giggle now and then.

2) DO NOT exercise through the pain, pain is a signal that something is wrong. But, you must also not just sit and listen to your joints harden. My late mother was a nursing home administrator and was constantly having issues with family who wanted to know why the staff was so cruel to make momma walk when her knees or hips hurt. Her answer always was 'If she sits down she'll never stand up again' and she was right. Apply ice and take some pain pills (heck, have a few Tylenol and a good stiff shot of single malt), then start stretching ever so gently. It's going to hurt. But the more you do it the less it will hurt, just be sure to go slowly and gradually increase the stretch. It won't get better if you leave it alone, I guarantee it.

3) Cortizone shots are iffy and nearly always of short-term use to relieve pain. It reduces the swelling and can allow the tendon to heal, but that takes months and if you reinjure it's back to square one (I know, I did it). If Naproxen wracks up your tummy don't take it, try another anti-inflammatory because that's really what it is, it doesn't relieve the pain it reduces the inflammation and thus the pain.

4) You can't go for long walks because you limp. Ok, can you bicycle? I didn't used to be able to, even that caused pain, but I got an idea and my husband made big platforms that sit on the pedals of my stationary bike so I push flat-footed all the time. That works, I do between 15 and 35 minutes every night, always 30 if I did less the day before. It's only been a few weeks but I think it's making a difference in my weight (I'm 5' 4' and up to 190 from 120). I also started working out with hand-weights to increase upper body strength and build some muscle which of course burns fat. Can you do scissor kicks or bicycles in the air, fill up the hot tub and kick, go to a YMCA pool and do water aerobics, move anything that doesn't hurt, kick a pillow, do something. Heck, getting mad at me for all these stupid suggestions might burn a few calories!

Lest you think I'm way too perky, I'm one of those like you who hurts all the time, I don't take painkillers unless I really really have to because I would start depending on them to get through the day. I have custom orthotics which I wear 23 1/2 hours a day, can't remember what it feels like to be barefoot, limp around worse than my 80 year old granny and I'm in my 30's too. This sucks, sucks big time, the only thing that gets me through sometimes is this board and my 'pity party' kit. It is really hard not to get emotionally as beat up as we are physically, I know that, I'm scared sometimes too. I have to keep reminding myself of what I CAN do, and get inventive about alternatives to the things we used to take for granted. Keep coming to the board, more people have ideas of things you can try, and we all care.

barbara2 on 3/23/99 at 00:00 (005735)

Dayna,pity party kit? I need one today. I hope its got a big wad of kleenex. And a huge margarita.
Don't usually feel sorry for myself, its just one of those days.
You know, trying to speed hobble out of the way of cars in parking lots, etc.
I'm starting to think about surgury agian, but unless I lose weight, I don't think it'll be too effective.
Will check in with you guys again when I'm not so whiney, thnaks for listening (reading?).

Re: Depressed and Worried

Alicia on 3/23/99 at 00:00 (005738)

Rebecca: I can't say anything any better than Dayna. So many of us feel just like you. Keep reading the messages on the board - go to Scott's home page and read about everything. Stretching also hurt for me too at the beginning, but now it really helps. The vitamin C may be working for me, along with ice, stretching and riding my bike to stay active. I'm also trying to eat mostly vegetables, fruit, fish and chicken and lots of water- just a basic healthy diet. Listen to really good music to help keep your spirits up. Kneel on a big pillow and use light hand weights. Do leg lifts while lying on the floor, and abdominal crunches. Try everything and keep your chin up. Like Dayna and others say, sitting still will not make things better, either. Good luck. We do care.

jill on 3/24/99 at 00:00 (005746)

I could have written the above message from Robyn. . .Identical situation. Its very tough and some days I allow myself to feel sorry for myself, but most of the time I try to focus on what I can do and heels be damned. I ice and elevate and sometimes stretch. I wear Birkenstocks nearly constantly (except in the office - its a very professional atmosphere and I generally cave and wear a low heel with orthotics) and highly, highly recommend them. I have several pair and dearly love them. They have become my feet.

When I am fighting the depression, what usually helps is thinking about cancer, aids, and muscular diseases. I usually must admit to loving my PF in relation to the consequences of those inflictions. Chin up. Rely on the support group here. It helps a tremendous amount.

barbara2 on 3/26/99 at 00:00 (005775)

this is my first time on this page, i too have been suffering with pf for over 3 years, i wear orthodics all day everyday don't take them off until its time for bed.
this pf has caused me to stop working for months just to get relief, i am a health care professional on my feet all day. i am now considering casting or surgery, everyone is tired of hearing me complain about my feet,legs and hips only wish they understood.

if you have any other suggestions i would love to hear
them. i have tried everything.

cheryl langston on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007972)

I also have PF with a tendon problem and facing more surger...a tendon streching....How can you deal with such pain for four years? I need to lose weight and hope to avoid the surgery next month. I'm tired of being in pain. And I just discovered that my good buddy has sleep apnea...if anyone out there knows more about sleep apnea please contact me.

cheryl on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007974)

Hope you feel better.

cheryl on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007975)

This is a test