Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is a rocker in the sole helpful?

Posted by Rosalind on 3/25/99 at 00:00 (005761)

I am looking at some pretty sturdy leather hiking (positive thinking) shoes and am trying to figure out whether a rocker in the sole (versus a flat sole) would make plantar fasciitis better or worse? Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

I wish it were just a simple matter of whether it just feels ok in the store or not, but with my feet I know it could go either way: it could easily do more damage or it could help.

Re: Is a rocker in the sole helpful?

maureen on 3/25/99 at 00:00 (005763)

Hi! I don't know about the rocker sole, but my podiatrist gave me a list of shoes/boots which are better for people with pf. There are many on the list. Are you thinking about a boot the weight for day hiking, a medium weight boot or a heavy weight boot? If you write back, Ill tell you which brands and models my Dr.'s sports medicine clinic reccommends. I will tell you what he told me in looking for any shoe, which is that you want 1) a strong heel area behind your heel,2) a sole which breaks/bends at the toes(not in the arch, like my boots were doing) and 3) which is stiff if you try to twist it side to side(which was the other place my boot failed). Good luck!

BarbJ on 3/25/99 at 00:00 (005765)

I second Maureen's note. This was exactly the advice I was given.

Rosalind on 3/25/99 at 00:00 (005772)

Sounds like a great list. I guess what I'm looking for right now is a medium weight boot. You can e-mail me in case it would be easier to fax me the list. Thanks for your help.

I tried on some Asolo's I really liked today, but then after a while I had an unusual stretching feeling in the plantar fascia hotspot. Who knows, that might be good, but who knows, that might be bad.

maureen on 3/26/99 at 00:00 (005776)

Hi! Sorry I don't quite have the technical skills to get the list to you that way, so here's the long way. Medium weight boots: ASOLO (Parallel II, AFX 535 II), RAICHLE (Spirit), VASQUE ( Clarion Impact Series, Sundowner, New Brier), MERRILL ( Long Trail), REI (Spirit III), COLUMBIA ( Sport Snow Rover), SALOMON ( Authentic 7), MONTRAIL (Moraine). I live in an area where people are fairly active in outdoor sports, so the sports medicine clinic updates this list frequently. The last update was 10/98, so these should be current models. Good Luck!

Helene on 3/26/99 at 00:00 (005779)

The rocker sole put too much pressure on my sensitive arches. I cannot wear it.

maureen on 3/25/99 at 00:00 (005763)

Hi! I don't know about the rocker sole, but my podiatrist gave me a list of shoes/boots which are better for people with pf. There are many on the list. Are you thinking about a boot the weight for day hiking, a medium weight boot or a heavy weight boot? If you write back, Ill tell you which brands and models my Dr.'s sports medicine clinic reccommends. I will tell you what he told me in looking for any shoe, which is that you want 1) a strong heel area behind your heel,2) a sole which breaks/bends at the toes(not in the arch, like my boots were doing) and 3) which is stiff if you try to twist it side to side(which was the other place my boot failed). Good luck!

BarbJ on 3/25/99 at 00:00 (005765)

I second Maureen's note. This was exactly the advice I was given.

Rosalind on 3/25/99 at 00:00 (005772)

Sounds like a great list. I guess what I'm looking for right now is a medium weight boot. You can e-mail me in case it would be easier to fax me the list. Thanks for your help.

I tried on some Asolo's I really liked today, but then after a while I had an unusual stretching feeling in the plantar fascia hotspot. Who knows, that might be good, but who knows, that might be bad.

maureen on 3/26/99 at 00:00 (005776)

Hi! Sorry I don't quite have the technical skills to get the list to you that way, so here's the long way. Medium weight boots: ASOLO (Parallel II, AFX 535 II), RAICHLE (Spirit), VASQUE ( Clarion Impact Series, Sundowner, New Brier), MERRILL ( Long Trail), REI (Spirit III), COLUMBIA ( Sport Snow Rover), SALOMON ( Authentic 7), MONTRAIL (Moraine). I live in an area where people are fairly active in outdoor sports, so the sports medicine clinic updates this list frequently. The last update was 10/98, so these should be current models. Good Luck!

Helene on 3/26/99 at 00:00 (005779)

The rocker sole put too much pressure on my sensitive arches. I cannot wear it.