Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can't keep a job because of PF!

Posted by Betty on 3/25/99 at 00:00 (005764)

Hi! I've had this pain in my foot off and on for the past 4 to 5 years It will start feeling better,so I get a job but I don't keep it for very long because the pain is back and I'm back on crutches. I really don't know what to do anymore.

Re: Can't keep a job because of PF!

Not so, there are tons available that are just sitting on 3/25/99 at 00:00 (005769)

I promise you can do many things if you must work. What about a receptionsist, switchboard operator, I have even thought about being one of those greeters at WalMart. YOu know the ones that are really handicapped. Anyway, when you apply for a job tell them you can' walk or do little errands and they will understand. I have a switcboard job and nothing is required of me except answering the phones and sitting. I have to walk to and from my car and up and down the stairs but it is better than having a job on your feet.
Blessings,

Becky

CrabbyAss2 on 3/25/99 at 00:00 (005773)

How lucky for you, What about people who don't drive and have to walk to get to public transportation?

Michael on 3/25/99 at 00:00 (005774)

Have you tried all of the potential remedies talked about on this site? I can't imagine that some combination of them wouldn't allow you at least enough relief to be able to work. With everything from new shoes to surgery as possible remedies, surely something can help you. -- Good luck!

Helene on 3/26/99 at 00:00 (005777)

Yes, there are many potential remedies that can help this condition. However, even though some of them have worked for me in the 8 yrs. that I have PF, they don't work 100% of the time. I might walk a bit too much or wear a different shoe, feel okay with it at the time, but then my PF flares up in a day or two as a result! I think that's what Betty is saying...this PF can be unpredictable at times. I have the same problem. I took a job, felt great at that time, yet I am home from work today because of a new PF episode. Prior to this, I felt great for almost one yr.

Betty on 3/27/99 at 00:00 (005798)

In response to you all that have said to get a job that calls for sitting only! Don't you think that I have tried looking for that kind of a job.Most receptionists jobs around here still want somebody with other skills too. I have no experience like that. I've put in all kinds of applications. And as for crabbyass,well I'm too much of a lady to really tell you what I'd like to say about your so called problem.

Not so, there are tons available that are just sitting on 3/25/99 at 00:00 (005769)

I promise you can do many things if you must work. What about a receptionsist, switchboard operator, I have even thought about being one of those greeters at WalMart. YOu know the ones that are really handicapped. Anyway, when you apply for a job tell them you can' walk or do little errands and they will understand. I have a switcboard job and nothing is required of me except answering the phones and sitting. I have to walk to and from my car and up and down the stairs but it is better than having a job on your feet.
Blessings,

Becky

CrabbyAss2 on 3/25/99 at 00:00 (005773)

How lucky for you, What about people who don't drive and have to walk to get to public transportation?

Michael on 3/25/99 at 00:00 (005774)

Have you tried all of the potential remedies talked about on this site? I can't imagine that some combination of them wouldn't allow you at least enough relief to be able to work. With everything from new shoes to surgery as possible remedies, surely something can help you. -- Good luck!

Helene on 3/26/99 at 00:00 (005777)

Yes, there are many potential remedies that can help this condition. However, even though some of them have worked for me in the 8 yrs. that I have PF, they don't work 100% of the time. I might walk a bit too much or wear a different shoe, feel okay with it at the time, but then my PF flares up in a day or two as a result! I think that's what Betty is saying...this PF can be unpredictable at times. I have the same problem. I took a job, felt great at that time, yet I am home from work today because of a new PF episode. Prior to this, I felt great for almost one yr.

Betty on 3/27/99 at 00:00 (005798)

In response to you all that have said to get a job that calls for sitting only! Don't you think that I have tried looking for that kind of a job.Most receptionists jobs around here still want somebody with other skills too. I have no experience like that. I've put in all kinds of applications. And as for crabbyass,well I'm too much of a lady to really tell you what I'd like to say about your so called problem.