Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Desparately looking for shoes, even custom made orthotics doesn't working

Posted by Zohre on 3/26/99 at 00:00 (005781)

Hi everyone,
I have had PF for aobut 5/6 years. I had surgery on my left foot
2 years ago which didn't help, since then I've been trying different
orthotics, but none seems to be working. Even a custom made orthotic
which I used to wear for the last 4 years, and I just reorder makes
my foot soar. Especially makes my arch area painful. I know I cannot
take high arch. I have tried ecco, mephisto but none seems to
be working. Now I'm wearing a pair of guess walking shoes, with
my old inserts, but i makes my foot soar after half an hour of
walking. My right foot used to do very well, I think because I tried
my new orthtoic for 2 weeks, the soarness is back.

Any suggestion may help.
Thanks,
Zore

Re: Desparately looking for shoes, even custom made orthotics doesn't working

Michelle on 3/26/99 at 00:00 (005782)

Birkenstock shoes have helped a lot of people on the board. They have different arch heights. There are many sites online that have the shoes. You need to get fitted localy before buying a pair.

Mary D/Seattle on 3/26/99 at 00:00 (005784)

I would call your doc and have your insertes re-tooled. Your foot may have changed or your insert may need rebuilt. These things take alot of abuse! After you get the right insert, then worry about the shoe. Are you taking out the shoes insert first? That is something I did. As for Birks, my inserts do not fit or work well in them. I still wear them, just not as much. Don't forget ice is your best friend, go slow and rejoice in the progress you DO make rather than review what you did NOT do or how long you wanted to go.
At first I could not go 2 hrs with out pain (some of us much less) now I can go 8, I am happy for that, yes 24 hrs is better, but I take small steps first.
Best wishes
Happy feet ~ Mary D

Sandy O on 3/26/99 at 00:00 (005786)

Another brand of shoe that has helped me is the EASY SPIRIT lace-up
style. They come in wide widths, which help accomodate my orthotics.
They also come in many colors and are at least dressier than wearing
Reeboks or Nikes, which is important when I have to dress up more for going to work. I have one pair of EASY SPIRIT semi-boots that also provide ankle support, and I have two pairs of their basic flats that (believe it or not) are wide enough to hold my orthotics. These aren't nearly as good, though, as the lace-ups and the semi-boot styles. My heel pain can be pretty severe at times, and I always put on my shoes and orthotics even before I get out of bed in the morning.
As a teacher, I'm on my feet most of the day, and my feet really take the punishment. The EASY SPIRIT shoes do help me, though, and I'd recommend that you give them a try.

Dayna on 3/27/99 at 00:00 (005791)

I live in the Easy Spirit lace-ups too, do you have trouble with the soles coming unglued? I have to replace them about every six months because the sole starts coming loose and regluing them doesn't hold, my shoe repair guy won't do it anymore because he says I'm just throwing my money away. I'm in dread of Easy Spirit discontinuing this style, it's the only shoe that fits my orthotics and doesn't look too strange with dresses, I can't wear white clunky nursing shoes all the time.

Sandy O on 3/27/99 at 00:00 (005794)

I first began wearing the EASY SPIRITS last August, and I haven't had any problems yet with the soles. I have several pairs, though, and rotate them according to what I'm wearing that day. My favorite pair is the black suede semi-boot style, and I know that since Spring is here that I should quit wearing black suede. I tried the SOFT SPOTS brand, since they looked similar to the EASY SPIRITS, but they began to be uncomfortable after I had worn them three or four hours. Like you, I hope that the EASY SPIRITS don't get discontinued! It's nice to have something a bit dressier, like you said.

maggie on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005819)

I have found that Ariat boots and shoes allow me to walk pain free. I am also flat footed. I have posted a message with more information.

Shelby on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005840)

I had a pair of Easy Spirits and after wearing them about 4 times the whole sole came unglued.

I have had 3 sets of orthodics made, and none have worked. After the first pair I had to foot the bill. I finally had a pod tell me that the hard structured orthodics probably weren't for me. With the orthodics I got numbness in the ball of my foot and toes, besides the pain in heel.Tonight the weather was great so I took the dogs for a long walk. Didn't think I would get back. I can't undertstand what the numbness and pain is in the ball of my foot and toes.I'm sitting here with my foot on ice. I have found that I need cushioning so I'm thinking of trying the Dansko brand. Anyone had anyi experience with them.

Michelle on 3/26/99 at 00:00 (005782)

Birkenstock shoes have helped a lot of people on the board. They have different arch heights. There are many sites online that have the shoes. You need to get fitted localy before buying a pair.

Mary D/Seattle on 3/26/99 at 00:00 (005784)

I would call your doc and have your insertes re-tooled. Your foot may have changed or your insert may need rebuilt. These things take alot of abuse! After you get the right insert, then worry about the shoe. Are you taking out the shoes insert first? That is something I did. As for Birks, my inserts do not fit or work well in them. I still wear them, just not as much. Don't forget ice is your best friend, go slow and rejoice in the progress you DO make rather than review what you did NOT do or how long you wanted to go.
At first I could not go 2 hrs with out pain (some of us much less) now I can go 8, I am happy for that, yes 24 hrs is better, but I take small steps first.
Best wishes
Happy feet ~ Mary D

Sandy O on 3/26/99 at 00:00 (005786)

Another brand of shoe that has helped me is the EASY SPIRIT lace-up
style. They come in wide widths, which help accomodate my orthotics.
They also come in many colors and are at least dressier than wearing
Reeboks or Nikes, which is important when I have to dress up more for going to work. I have one pair of EASY SPIRIT semi-boots that also provide ankle support, and I have two pairs of their basic flats that (believe it or not) are wide enough to hold my orthotics. These aren't nearly as good, though, as the lace-ups and the semi-boot styles. My heel pain can be pretty severe at times, and I always put on my shoes and orthotics even before I get out of bed in the morning.
As a teacher, I'm on my feet most of the day, and my feet really take the punishment. The EASY SPIRIT shoes do help me, though, and I'd recommend that you give them a try.

Dayna on 3/27/99 at 00:00 (005791)

I live in the Easy Spirit lace-ups too, do you have trouble with the soles coming unglued? I have to replace them about every six months because the sole starts coming loose and regluing them doesn't hold, my shoe repair guy won't do it anymore because he says I'm just throwing my money away. I'm in dread of Easy Spirit discontinuing this style, it's the only shoe that fits my orthotics and doesn't look too strange with dresses, I can't wear white clunky nursing shoes all the time.

Sandy O on 3/27/99 at 00:00 (005794)

I first began wearing the EASY SPIRITS last August, and I haven't had any problems yet with the soles. I have several pairs, though, and rotate them according to what I'm wearing that day. My favorite pair is the black suede semi-boot style, and I know that since Spring is here that I should quit wearing black suede. I tried the SOFT SPOTS brand, since they looked similar to the EASY SPIRITS, but they began to be uncomfortable after I had worn them three or four hours. Like you, I hope that the EASY SPIRITS don't get discontinued! It's nice to have something a bit dressier, like you said.

maggie on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005819)

I have found that Ariat boots and shoes allow me to walk pain free. I am also flat footed. I have posted a message with more information.

Shelby on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005840)

I had a pair of Easy Spirits and after wearing them about 4 times the whole sole came unglued.

I have had 3 sets of orthodics made, and none have worked. After the first pair I had to foot the bill. I finally had a pod tell me that the hard structured orthodics probably weren't for me. With the orthodics I got numbness in the ball of my foot and toes, besides the pain in heel.Tonight the weather was great so I took the dogs for a long walk. Didn't think I would get back. I can't undertstand what the numbness and pain is in the ball of my foot and toes.I'm sitting here with my foot on ice. I have found that I need cushioning so I'm thinking of trying the Dansko brand. Anyone had anyi experience with them.