Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel spur onset?

Posted by Ted S. on 3/28/99 at 00:00 (005805)

I was sitting at my computer last night for about a half hour and when I stood up in my bare feet I had a shooting pain in my left heel. Later I got up from bed and walked a few feet to the bathroom and my heel hurt bad. Better today after a shower and while wearing shoes with my orthotics in. Question: Can a heel spur, if that is what this pain is from, come on suddenly without no prior warning of something wrong in the heel. I am not overweight and only a moderate exerciser. Any suggestions or advise helpful.

Ted

Re: Heel spur onset? sounds like it!

Ted on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005814)

Ted,

If you are already wearing inserts, it sounds like you've had some kind of foot pain already? Anyway...yep, sounds like you have PF like the rest of us. It comes and goes. I read alot of people on this forum cant even walk to the bathroom in the moring without wearing their birks or inserts. They never go without shoes of somekind on their feet. I myself feel better without my shoes on except when first getting out of bed in the morning. I think I'm the only one tho. :~) Anyway, make sure you stretch your calf muscles before you get out of bed in the moring or get up to goto the bathroom. The reason for doing this while still in bed is your calf muscles are very warm and will stretch easily then. I stretch my calf muscles by hooking my heel into my toes on the other foot and then pull back with the heel and curl my toes forward, that stretches the calf muscle nicely, then I switch and do the other foot. When I get out of bed it doesnt hurt to stand on my bare feet.

Good luck

Lyndel

Re: Heel spur onset?

Dayna on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005818)

Heel spurs don't just crop up overnight, they take time to grow. What you might have done is stressed your foot just that one little bit too much and caused the PF to flair up. If you know that you don't have heel spurs, than you didn't grow one in the last 24 hours. I had heel spurs for years with no discomfort until the tendon just couldn't stretch anymore and Wham, PF in all its glory.

Re: Heel spur onset? sounds like it!

Ted on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005814)

Ted,

If you are already wearing inserts, it sounds like you've had some kind of foot pain already? Anyway...yep, sounds like you have PF like the rest of us. It comes and goes. I read alot of people on this forum cant even walk to the bathroom in the moring without wearing their birks or inserts. They never go without shoes of somekind on their feet. I myself feel better without my shoes on except when first getting out of bed in the morning. I think I'm the only one tho. :~) Anyway, make sure you stretch your calf muscles before you get out of bed in the moring or get up to goto the bathroom. The reason for doing this while still in bed is your calf muscles are very warm and will stretch easily then. I stretch my calf muscles by hooking my heel into my toes on the other foot and then pull back with the heel and curl my toes forward, that stretches the calf muscle nicely, then I switch and do the other foot. When I get out of bed it doesnt hurt to stand on my bare feet.

Good luck

Lyndel

Re: Heel spur onset?

Dayna on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005818)

Heel spurs don't just crop up overnight, they take time to grow. What you might have done is stressed your foot just that one little bit too much and caused the PF to flair up. If you know that you don't have heel spurs, than you didn't grow one in the last 24 hours. I had heel spurs for years with no discomfort until the tendon just couldn't stretch anymore and Wham, PF in all its glory.