Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birks and Orthodics? hmmmm.

Posted by laurie on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005824)

I'm wondering.. I have this pair of custom made orthodics. I've had them for about 6 months. I wear them religiously and as I should. Since I've started wearing them religiously my feet BOTH are killing me. Which makes me wonder if I have PF & a spur in both feet not just one. Leads me to wonder how i would ever know if these 350 dollar orthodics are good for me or not good. Darn those orthodics. Anywaaaaaaaays.. question is, do Birks come in other styles or are they always sandals? I'm told to never remove the orthodics from my shoes so whenever would I take the break and try the Birks?

Confusion..
Confused
and
tired
of
this
thing
they
call
PF.

Thanks!

LJ

Re: Birks and Orthodics? hmmmm.

Ed M on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005825)

Hey Laurie,

This is my first message on this Bulletin Board, so I hope I do things correctly. I too have this strange foot ailment. I too have been to a Podiatrist to whom one of my tennis buddies recommended. He put me in some over-the-counter orthodics which don't seem to be solving anything. I then saw on this site that Birks were good so I bought a pair for 90 something bucks. Still pain. Now I'm taking Celebrex twice a day and icing the heel when the pain increases towards the end of the day. Plus and lastly, my sweetie wife rubs the heel most every night. End result....no change. Pain when I wake up and try to walk on it. Then it gets a little better when it warms up some. Then by the end of the day, its hurting pretty good and I don't especially want to walk on it anymore.

I share your question. What's the right treatment. Do I keep wearing the orthodics or get some custom ones made or........oh yeah, I got some Tuli Heel Cups two weeks ago. Of all the gizmos, they seem to help the most. Ultra shock absorbers is what they are. No cure...just a buffer for walking on the heel.

I've been away from Tennis now for over a month. I hate it. I'm putting on a little weight because of my forced inactivity. It really is sucko........Many of my 'over 50s' friends have had a case of this condition and get over it. I hope very much I do too.

Regards, Ed M

Robin on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005829)

If you read some of Scott's archived messages (he probably has more archived PF messages than anyone else on earth), you will see that clearly, there is no one answer. Some people have successfully gotten rid of PF; others are going on 8 and 10 years with it.

I myself am going on one year. I'm not real big on invasive treatment,so I am doing what I can at the non-invasive level first. Birkenstocks have worked very well for me (along with vitamin C and glucosamine sulfate -- and resting my feet a lot). If you are wearing $350 orthotics and are in constant pain -- then why are you wearing $350 orthotics?? Anything which is supposed to help you is not supposed to simultaneously cause incessant pain. Perhaps it's time to try something else.

Birks come in a wide variety of styles. Try Birkenstockexpress.com for a look. These are NOT cushiony shoes. But if you need a lot of support for your arch and a low foot and heel bed -- I'd recommend them. I started wearing them last December; now I have 5 pairs and that's all I wear. Clearly, I am not 'all better.' But I am a lot better than I was last summer when I was ready to shoot myself. Birks don't work for everyone -- but for the people they work for, they work real well. Good luck Laurie.

Alison on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005839)

I hope this doesn't sound dumb,but what is a 'low foot and heel bed?'
I'm thinking of trying Birkd, but I don't want yet another pair of shoes that don't really help.

I've found one make called 'Barefoot Freedom' at Eneslow's shoes in NYC - they feel pretty good but cost $200.

Kris on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005847)

I too started with Tulis and in the beginning they were better than nothing. But the pain got worse and I've read that Tulis just arent enough support. I got great custom orthotics and what a difference! So much more support! I have had this pain for over a year now, Tried stretching, Physical Therapy (I go 3 times a week still) iceing, taping, I gave up on the anti-imflammatory Rxs , they tore up my stomach terribly!, I use night splints, I have a removeable cast on right now for the last 3 weeks. The guys in the P.T. dept are trying everything and will keep trying until we find what works for me. These message boards are a lifesaver, Keep reading and good luck!! Kris

Robin on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005848)

Most shoes have little or no arch support and the heels are raised, they raise your heel above the level of your toes and the rest of your foot (except for your arch). If your foot is flexible, when you walk most of the weight in your foot is shifted forward with each step. The plantar fascia takes a little beating each time. With Birks my foot is pretty much flat (except for the tremendous arch support which I very much need) and the heel is actually carved out so it is not sitting above the rest of the foot. When I walk, the weight of my body rolls onto my heel and from there rolls with the rest of my step. If you are helped in general by arch support, then I would try Birks. They are a lot less than $200.

Ed M on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005825)

Hey Laurie,

This is my first message on this Bulletin Board, so I hope I do things correctly. I too have this strange foot ailment. I too have been to a Podiatrist to whom one of my tennis buddies recommended. He put me in some over-the-counter orthodics which don't seem to be solving anything. I then saw on this site that Birks were good so I bought a pair for 90 something bucks. Still pain. Now I'm taking Celebrex twice a day and icing the heel when the pain increases towards the end of the day. Plus and lastly, my sweetie wife rubs the heel most every night. End result....no change. Pain when I wake up and try to walk on it. Then it gets a little better when it warms up some. Then by the end of the day, its hurting pretty good and I don't especially want to walk on it anymore.

I share your question. What's the right treatment. Do I keep wearing the orthodics or get some custom ones made or........oh yeah, I got some Tuli Heel Cups two weeks ago. Of all the gizmos, they seem to help the most. Ultra shock absorbers is what they are. No cure...just a buffer for walking on the heel.

I've been away from Tennis now for over a month. I hate it. I'm putting on a little weight because of my forced inactivity. It really is sucko........Many of my 'over 50s' friends have had a case of this condition and get over it. I hope very much I do too.

Regards, Ed M

Robin on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005829)

If you read some of Scott's archived messages (he probably has more archived PF messages than anyone else on earth), you will see that clearly, there is no one answer. Some people have successfully gotten rid of PF; others are going on 8 and 10 years with it.

I myself am going on one year. I'm not real big on invasive treatment,so I am doing what I can at the non-invasive level first. Birkenstocks have worked very well for me (along with vitamin C and glucosamine sulfate -- and resting my feet a lot). If you are wearing $350 orthotics and are in constant pain -- then why are you wearing $350 orthotics?? Anything which is supposed to help you is not supposed to simultaneously cause incessant pain. Perhaps it's time to try something else.

Birks come in a wide variety of styles. Try Birkenstockexpress.com for a look. These are NOT cushiony shoes. But if you need a lot of support for your arch and a low foot and heel bed -- I'd recommend them. I started wearing them last December; now I have 5 pairs and that's all I wear. Clearly, I am not 'all better.' But I am a lot better than I was last summer when I was ready to shoot myself. Birks don't work for everyone -- but for the people they work for, they work real well. Good luck Laurie.

Alison on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005839)

I hope this doesn't sound dumb,but what is a 'low foot and heel bed?'
I'm thinking of trying Birkd, but I don't want yet another pair of shoes that don't really help.

I've found one make called 'Barefoot Freedom' at Eneslow's shoes in NYC - they feel pretty good but cost $200.

Kris on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005847)

I too started with Tulis and in the beginning they were better than nothing. But the pain got worse and I've read that Tulis just arent enough support. I got great custom orthotics and what a difference! So much more support! I have had this pain for over a year now, Tried stretching, Physical Therapy (I go 3 times a week still) iceing, taping, I gave up on the anti-imflammatory Rxs , they tore up my stomach terribly!, I use night splints, I have a removeable cast on right now for the last 3 weeks. The guys in the P.T. dept are trying everything and will keep trying until we find what works for me. These message boards are a lifesaver, Keep reading and good luck!! Kris

Robin on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005848)

Most shoes have little or no arch support and the heels are raised, they raise your heel above the level of your toes and the rest of your foot (except for your arch). If your foot is flexible, when you walk most of the weight in your foot is shifted forward with each step. The plantar fascia takes a little beating each time. With Birks my foot is pretty much flat (except for the tremendous arch support which I very much need) and the heel is actually carved out so it is not sitting above the rest of the foot. When I walk, the weight of my body rolls onto my heel and from there rolls with the rest of my step. If you are helped in general by arch support, then I would try Birks. They are a lot less than $200.