Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Different Birks; and work clothes (a bit long)

Posted by Jenny Lewis on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005850)

Birks are not just sandals, they are also closed shoes, some with lace-ups (I just bought some) in leather or nubuck, and others with a strap across that look like a kid might wear (I just bought some of them too, they were reduced price) and wonderfully BRIGHT zingy coloured clogs that are plastic-ish stuff and you can wear them on beaches or at pools or whatever, they are fully washable (didn't buy those, but one day maybe). Lots of different styles, no high heels! My credit card was in shock, but who cares, my feet are happy.

It really bugs me that people risk losing their jobs because their footwear is regarded as unprofessional wear. Outrageous. I suppose the companies that insist on this ridiculous rule describe themselves as equal opportunity employers! I would object most strongly. OK, if you are expected to dress smart then you would not turn up in ragged-edge jeans or scruffy tee shirts, but just because you are not tottering around on top of silly high heels, or whatever, and for a strong medical reason, should NOT be a reason to be threatened with dismissal.

Luckily I work somewhere that does not have a dress code as such, although in certain departments it is accepted that you would look 'smart', if you are meeting clients, running executive programmes, whatever. However, I am stuck at this desk staring at this computer, or I am photocopying, or I am shuffling tons of paper into course folders, and if anyone DARES try to tell me not to wear my jeans (not ragged-edged by the way!) or my nice new Birks, I would do everything possible to make sure they walk funny too....

Enough ranting. I hope you are all well out their in foot-ache land. Have a nice Easter weekend (I'm off for a couple of days now to make it a full week, goodie).

jl

Re: Different Birks; and work clothes (a bit long)

Dorothy on 3/31/99 at 00:00 (005894)

Anyone who must wear 'dressy' shoes for work should know about the Birkenstock insoles -- they have one of cork but the better one has a blue satin top and is EXACTLY like a Birkenstock sandle -- about $40 and available through the Birkenstock website. I wear them in shoes with a 3/4 inch heel and they are WONDERFUL!!! They fit into running/walking shoes and all other shoes (except sandles). These are just as good as my $400 custom orthotics.

Alison on 3/31/99 at 00:00 (005918)

Since my feet 'acted up' 2 years ago I've become much less concerned about how 'professional' I look. I'm a social worker so I probably have a more flexible dress code than many. But I'm wlking, standing and sitting for unpredictable amounts of time. Yesterday I was in horrible pain. I move like a 75 year old with bad arthritis and a prosthetic leg. Your employer must make 'reasonable accommodation' to your disability - that's Federal law. Unless it is impossible to reasonably accomodate, you all are entitled to wear decent shoes.
I don't really care how my shoes look.
I'm thinking of icing my feet when I'm not with clients.

So folks have posted messages about handicapped parking - it's an idea.

Dorothy on 3/31/99 at 00:00 (005894)

Anyone who must wear 'dressy' shoes for work should know about the Birkenstock insoles -- they have one of cork but the better one has a blue satin top and is EXACTLY like a Birkenstock sandle -- about $40 and available through the Birkenstock website. I wear them in shoes with a 3/4 inch heel and they are WONDERFUL!!! They fit into running/walking shoes and all other shoes (except sandles). These are just as good as my $400 custom orthotics.

Alison on 3/31/99 at 00:00 (005918)

Since my feet 'acted up' 2 years ago I've become much less concerned about how 'professional' I look. I'm a social worker so I probably have a more flexible dress code than many. But I'm wlking, standing and sitting for unpredictable amounts of time. Yesterday I was in horrible pain. I move like a 75 year old with bad arthritis and a prosthetic leg. Your employer must make 'reasonable accommodation' to your disability - that's Federal law. Unless it is impossible to reasonably accomodate, you all are entitled to wear decent shoes.
I don't really care how my shoes look.
I'm thinking of icing my feet when I'm not with clients.

So folks have posted messages about handicapped parking - it's an idea.