Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Have you had a cast for PF?

Posted by Jane on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005856)

Hi Folks! I've been wearing a night splint for the past 8 weeks which has really helped that first morning step. However, by the end of the day my heel is back to its usual pain. Since I've tried all kinds of stuff (orthotics, stretching, injections, RX, PT, etc.) my Pod. says there is only casting left before surgery (he doesn't really want to do surgery). I read Kris' posting that sounds like a successful (so far) response to a cast. Has anyone else had cast experience? What were the results? Was your cast removable or not removable? (mine would not be removable) How long did you have to wear it? Would you recommend it?
I need to make a decision by next week so any suggestions/help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Best wishes to all for 'happy feet'! :)

Re: Have you had a cast for PF?

Michelle on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005857)

Jane,

I had a soft cast called a unibootie(not removable)on my left foot for 2 weeks and that was the most painful 2 weeks in my life. My Pod. put the cast on my foot and told me not to get it wet and to come back in 2 weeks. He told me that I should walk normally but it was almost impossible to walk in. I ended up limping around for 2 weeks and giving myself a weak ankle in the process. I had difficulty sleeping because the cast was so tight. I switched Pod's and the new Dr. said the cast didn't do me any help. I personally don't recommend having a cast put on. Hope this helps w/your decision. Good Luck!!

ken on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005862)

I hada removable cast on for about 4 weeks.I wore it all the time except for sleeping and showering.It felt ok when it was on but it really did not help that much.When I stopped wearing it the symptoms came right back and plus while wearing it I favored my foot and that put more pressure on tfhe other one which is also having problems.

maryj on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005865)

my pod suggested casting for 6 weeks but said it probably wouldn't work since i have pf in both feet, and by casting the one foot the other would be worse, if can believe that.
hope the cast works for you, keep us informed.

Susan Linden on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005885)

Yes, I can believe that casting one foot could make the other worse. I have horses and the man that keeps one of them for me told me to ALWAYS wrap both front or rear legs even though only one was injured. He explained that you have to support the good leg or it will break down from the extra strain. One lady didn't listen, had to put her horse down. The good leg broke down and the vet said it was too far gone to be able to be helped.

Ed on 3/31/99 at 00:00 (005902)

Last year I was placed in a removable/inflatable cast for seven weeks. The pain did return within a few weeks after getting back on both feet. I ended up having surgery about a month ago. If you're interested, see my posting on the surgery message board.

judy on 3/31/99 at 00:00 (005915)

I had a fiberglass cast on my right foot for three weeks over the Xmas holidays.Used wheelchair as doctor did not want me to use crutches as I have fibromyalgia. I came out of the cast worse than I had been before. It was very disappointing to get no relief,since the doctor told me that in his experience the vast majority of patients benefited from casting. Maybe I am an unusual case,but I would not recommend a cast. You lose muscle tone in the extrinsic and intrinsic muscles of the casted foot and leg. Once you start to weight bear your foot is subject to increased stress and and retearing of the PF. This site has been helpful to me (first posted a message on 3/22/99); I appreciate the support that comes from knowing I am not alone.

Paula on 4/01/99 at 00:00 (005933)

I had a cast as a last ditch effort before surgery. Sorry, but it did not help. I almost felt worse when they took it off. I definitely though I would feel better, since my pain was chronic and it never got a chance to rest, but it felt worse. I had it on for three weeks and it was permanent. Good luck

Michelle on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005857)

Jane,

I had a soft cast called a unibootie(not removable)on my left foot for 2 weeks and that was the most painful 2 weeks in my life. My Pod. put the cast on my foot and told me not to get it wet and to come back in 2 weeks. He told me that I should walk normally but it was almost impossible to walk in. I ended up limping around for 2 weeks and giving myself a weak ankle in the process. I had difficulty sleeping because the cast was so tight. I switched Pod's and the new Dr. said the cast didn't do me any help. I personally don't recommend having a cast put on. Hope this helps w/your decision. Good Luck!!

ken on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005862)

I hada removable cast on for about 4 weeks.I wore it all the time except for sleeping and showering.It felt ok when it was on but it really did not help that much.When I stopped wearing it the symptoms came right back and plus while wearing it I favored my foot and that put more pressure on tfhe other one which is also having problems.

maryj on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005865)

my pod suggested casting for 6 weeks but said it probably wouldn't work since i have pf in both feet, and by casting the one foot the other would be worse, if can believe that.
hope the cast works for you, keep us informed.

Susan Linden on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005885)

Yes, I can believe that casting one foot could make the other worse. I have horses and the man that keeps one of them for me told me to ALWAYS wrap both front or rear legs even though only one was injured. He explained that you have to support the good leg or it will break down from the extra strain. One lady didn't listen, had to put her horse down. The good leg broke down and the vet said it was too far gone to be able to be helped.

Ed on 3/31/99 at 00:00 (005902)

Last year I was placed in a removable/inflatable cast for seven weeks. The pain did return within a few weeks after getting back on both feet. I ended up having surgery about a month ago. If you're interested, see my posting on the surgery message board.

judy on 3/31/99 at 00:00 (005915)

I had a fiberglass cast on my right foot for three weeks over the Xmas holidays.Used wheelchair as doctor did not want me to use crutches as I have fibromyalgia. I came out of the cast worse than I had been before. It was very disappointing to get no relief,since the doctor told me that in his experience the vast majority of patients benefited from casting. Maybe I am an unusual case,but I would not recommend a cast. You lose muscle tone in the extrinsic and intrinsic muscles of the casted foot and leg. Once you start to weight bear your foot is subject to increased stress and and retearing of the PF. This site has been helpful to me (first posted a message on 3/22/99); I appreciate the support that comes from knowing I am not alone.

Paula on 4/01/99 at 00:00 (005933)

I had a cast as a last ditch effort before surgery. Sorry, but it did not help. I almost felt worse when they took it off. I definitely though I would feel better, since my pain was chronic and it never got a chance to rest, but it felt worse. I had it on for three weeks and it was permanent. Good luck