Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Exercise? Anyone else feel frustrated?

Posted by Rebecca on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005870)

I know i'm supposed to exercise. But all i can do is biking. I absolutely love swimming but have skin problems (face) so i can't get in contact with any chemicals. Severely allergic. My wonderful skin problem also reacts to heat so when i get heated from working out or hot weather whammo can't leave the house coz i look a fright. So what exercising can i do? I'll bike as long as the weather stays reasonable. I live in Iowa so our summers here can get quite hot. As i have lived many years in a tropical country i know that heat is something not to be understimated.

I am so frustrated. I guess most of my exercise this year will come from gardening and we do thata LOT!

GRrrrrr! I am frustrated and angry. At times i hurt so much i wish i could get a handicapped parking sign so i can avoid walking. But go tell a doctor to help you obtain a parking sign for 'just sore feet' and you'd see eyebrows hitting the hairline. I've even been tempted to use the electric chairs in stores at times. Anyone else feel like this?

Oh, well, i must admit though, ever since i've reduced my work and now left my job my feet have been feeling mucho better. I can actually walk now in the morning and not crawl. YOu know the feeling. When you get up in the morning, are desperate to get to the potty (and my bladder is the size of a grape) and then you feet say:' nya,nya,nya- nya,nya, nay,nya,nya-nya,nya-nya, nyaaaaaaaaaaa (aaaa being my groan from pain) ! No walking baby, crawl on valiant soldier, that's what you get for abusing us during the rest of the day.'

Even my husband doesn't realy understand how much i hurt. His mother has chronic pain in her hand from a problem. She gets a lot of sympathy. But as with most folks, i think foot pain doesn't qualify. I mean EVERYBODY's had sore feet right? So you are just over reacting.
Well, i'd better pass the soap-box on!

See ya all!

Rebecca

Re: Exercise? Anyone else feel frustrated?

barbara2 on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005877)

i finally broke down and used the electric cart in the grocery store. After I got over feeling self-conscious, it was great.
I actually had the stamina to buy all the stuff I needed, go home and put it away AND cook dinner! It still feels a little funny, but its worth it cause it buys me what my husband calls foot points-more time doing something I want on my feet, cause I did an errand not on my feet.

Cathie on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005878)

Funny, isn't it - if you have a great big band-aid on a little tiny sore you get sympathy. But if you have this darn PF, which is not so visible, and say how your feet hurt, it's like people can't believe what a fuss you're making over 'nothing'. I'm 47 years young with two little grandbabies that I intend to be able to walk with and play with. There are days I feel like an old lady and I really have to motivate myself to keep on keeping on. I've found, so far, that the vitamin C that has been recommended many times has helped, as well as the Naproxen (an anti-inflammatory) I'm now on. One pair of orthotics I have are pretty good, but the other pair is the pits (the pod. says they fit. I told him he could wear them then!) But one of the best things is this message board where we can all share. It makes a difference to know there are others with the same affliction. You guys are wonderful, and the things I've learned here have helped more than the pod. could, and it's great to know that, despite every person here being in pain, the overwhelming atmosphere is one of willingness to help others. The positive mental attitude promoted here may be the best medicine of all sometimes. God bless you all!
Cathie

Susan Linden on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005884)

It is interesting, we are the same age and I also have two grandkids and a third one due on June 1. I am on the same vitamin and drug therapy you are. I read about the vitamin C on this message board and decided to give it a try. I have only been on it for two weeks, but there may be some change for the better. How long does it take to notice a vast difference?

Cathie on 3/31/99 at 00:00 (005901)

It was at least two or three weeks, and then I noticed I could walk just that little bit farther, or that the pain wasn't quite as severe. And my son-in-law noticed I wasn't limping as much. I think it has made a difference, and I'm hoping for more improvement. I really have to make myself slow down sometimes, as there are so many things I like to do and intend to keep on doing. I realize that I may have to modify how, when, etc., I do some things, at least for now, but I will not give anything up entirely. It isn't easy sometimes, but I'm hanging in there! Now that the weather is finally getting nicer (I live in Canada now), I want to be out moving around, though it may be cycling instead of much walking. Still, it's moving around. A friend of mine is a registered massage therapist (and a nurse) and she says one of the best things we can do is stretch, and since I have been doing that, even a little, I've noticed a change. So I'll be keeping that up, too. In fact, I just signed up for a tai chi class. I can still wear my shoes with the orthotics and stretch my little heart out! Take care and don't ever give up!

maryj on 3/31/99 at 00:00 (005904)

rebecca know the feeling of no sympathy, no one cares when its your feet, break a arm or a leg and see what you get.
exercise thats a joke, i'am 35 and my husband says i act like a old lady, of course he truly doesn't understand the pain that i have 24 hours aday. 7 days aweek.
well keep plugging along.
god speed.

barbara2 on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005877)

i finally broke down and used the electric cart in the grocery store. After I got over feeling self-conscious, it was great.
I actually had the stamina to buy all the stuff I needed, go home and put it away AND cook dinner! It still feels a little funny, but its worth it cause it buys me what my husband calls foot points-more time doing something I want on my feet, cause I did an errand not on my feet.

Cathie on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005878)

Funny, isn't it - if you have a great big band-aid on a little tiny sore you get sympathy. But if you have this darn PF, which is not so visible, and say how your feet hurt, it's like people can't believe what a fuss you're making over 'nothing'. I'm 47 years young with two little grandbabies that I intend to be able to walk with and play with. There are days I feel like an old lady and I really have to motivate myself to keep on keeping on. I've found, so far, that the vitamin C that has been recommended many times has helped, as well as the Naproxen (an anti-inflammatory) I'm now on. One pair of orthotics I have are pretty good, but the other pair is the pits (the pod. says they fit. I told him he could wear them then!) But one of the best things is this message board where we can all share. It makes a difference to know there are others with the same affliction. You guys are wonderful, and the things I've learned here have helped more than the pod. could, and it's great to know that, despite every person here being in pain, the overwhelming atmosphere is one of willingness to help others. The positive mental attitude promoted here may be the best medicine of all sometimes. God bless you all!
Cathie

Susan Linden on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005884)

It is interesting, we are the same age and I also have two grandkids and a third one due on June 1. I am on the same vitamin and drug therapy you are. I read about the vitamin C on this message board and decided to give it a try. I have only been on it for two weeks, but there may be some change for the better. How long does it take to notice a vast difference?

Cathie on 3/31/99 at 00:00 (005901)

It was at least two or three weeks, and then I noticed I could walk just that little bit farther, or that the pain wasn't quite as severe. And my son-in-law noticed I wasn't limping as much. I think it has made a difference, and I'm hoping for more improvement. I really have to make myself slow down sometimes, as there are so many things I like to do and intend to keep on doing. I realize that I may have to modify how, when, etc., I do some things, at least for now, but I will not give anything up entirely. It isn't easy sometimes, but I'm hanging in there! Now that the weather is finally getting nicer (I live in Canada now), I want to be out moving around, though it may be cycling instead of much walking. Still, it's moving around. A friend of mine is a registered massage therapist (and a nurse) and she says one of the best things we can do is stretch, and since I have been doing that, even a little, I've noticed a change. So I'll be keeping that up, too. In fact, I just signed up for a tai chi class. I can still wear my shoes with the orthotics and stretch my little heart out! Take care and don't ever give up!

maryj on 3/31/99 at 00:00 (005904)

rebecca know the feeling of no sympathy, no one cares when its your feet, break a arm or a leg and see what you get.
exercise thats a joke, i'am 35 and my husband says i act like a old lady, of course he truly doesn't understand the pain that i have 24 hours aday. 7 days aweek.
well keep plugging along.
god speed.