Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Correct foot measurements for shoes

Posted by Susan Linden on 3/30/99 at 00:00 (005887)

The man that makes my othotics gave me the best advice I have ever received about shoes fitting right. DO NOT just go by the overall length of your foot. More important is the 'arch length'. To get this you have to slide the small indicator on the measuring device until it is at the joint of your big toe. That is your arch length. If you go by the overall length you can end up the the arch of the shoe in the wrong part of your foot, thereby agravating the condition. I have a long, high arch and short toes. The widest part of the shoe should match the center of the ball of the foot. Insist that the person doing the measuring do it right.

Additionally I have noticed that since I am limiting my caffine intake and my salt/sodium intake my feet do not swell nearly as much and therefore do not hurt as much. I went low caffine and low salt/sodium for other reasons, but a side benefit is that my feet are doing better. Don't go off caffine cold turkey, the headaches are not worth it. Cut down slowly to give your body a chance to adjust. You will not miss it that way. I feel better now that I am on this plan. And ladies, my PMS is almost gone. I tried an experiment, I went back on caffine and salt for one month, I was as mean as a snake. That one month convinced me to stay clear of as much caffine and salt/sodium as I can. Chocolate is the one weakness, but then, the medical community now says that it has a property that helps keep plaque from sticking to our arteries. So now I take it for medicinal purposes.

Re: Correct foot measurements for shoes

Rebecca on 3/31/99 at 00:00 (005900)

You take my chocolate away and I turn into a nightmare! LOL. I wish there were chocolate patches for chocaholics like me. I also do have 2 cups of Java a day. Is that too much? We are low salt anyhow because of my husbands high blood pressure. But i like the idea of chocolate for medicinal purposes.

I am too booked right now to go to a doctor but hope to do so in the next month or so. I noticed that since i've quite my job my pain is less! Much less! I think i'll change from my Podiatrist to an Orthopedic doctor. I need more agressive tx and my Podiatrist just said, ice it, stretch it, and see me in 3 weeks. Fat lot of good that did. I wasn't told about Birks or anything. Started going to him last Summer and in the heat of the Summer i was told to wear running shoes. It was agony! I was dying of heat on my feet! I cheated a lot! If i had know i could've work birks!!!

How are your feet? Now that you've done all the stuff?

Rebecca

Susan Linden on 3/31/99 at 00:00 (005906)

Rebecca (by the way, that is my middle name!), my feet are better. And yes two cups is too much. Start by mixing them 1/2 and 1/2 with a good decaf. Then slowly rotate over to all decaf. Use no caffine sodas. One of the best is the new one from Coke called 'Citra'. It is similar to 'Fresca' but has sugar. Try some of the carob candies. If you are going to do a little caffine try to not do it close to 'period' time. It kicks off all sorts of bad reactions then. I challenge you to try this for a couple of months and tell me if it helps you.

Rebecca on 3/31/99 at 00:00 (005900)

You take my chocolate away and I turn into a nightmare! LOL. I wish there were chocolate patches for chocaholics like me. I also do have 2 cups of Java a day. Is that too much? We are low salt anyhow because of my husbands high blood pressure. But i like the idea of chocolate for medicinal purposes.

I am too booked right now to go to a doctor but hope to do so in the next month or so. I noticed that since i've quite my job my pain is less! Much less! I think i'll change from my Podiatrist to an Orthopedic doctor. I need more agressive tx and my Podiatrist just said, ice it, stretch it, and see me in 3 weeks. Fat lot of good that did. I wasn't told about Birks or anything. Started going to him last Summer and in the heat of the Summer i was told to wear running shoes. It was agony! I was dying of heat on my feet! I cheated a lot! If i had know i could've work birks!!!

How are your feet? Now that you've done all the stuff?

Rebecca

Susan Linden on 3/31/99 at 00:00 (005906)

Rebecca (by the way, that is my middle name!), my feet are better. And yes two cups is too much. Start by mixing them 1/2 and 1/2 with a good decaf. Then slowly rotate over to all decaf. Use no caffine sodas. One of the best is the new one from Coke called 'Citra'. It is similar to 'Fresca' but has sugar. Try some of the carob candies. If you are going to do a little caffine try to not do it close to 'period' time. It kicks off all sorts of bad reactions then. I challenge you to try this for a couple of months and tell me if it helps you.