Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

About your surgery...can you explain?

Posted by Kris on 4/01/99 at 00:00 (005920)

I may be a candidate for EPF surgery soon. How long was your stay? What was the post op pain like? And How long were you TOTALLY off your feet before you could move around (hobble around I guess). Also how long before you could drive again? I am worried as I am a busy mom of two active kids. We have tried almost all other options and we are running out of ideas to try next. Thanks....Kris

Re: About your surgery...can you explain?

Paula on 4/01/99 at 00:00 (005932)

Hi Kris - Here's the scoop on my EPF experience. I had it done at a day-op center, so you are in and out real quick. About a hour after the procedure, you're out of there. I did have anesthisia, though, so it all depends on how you recover from that. I had no real post-op pain as my whole foot was anesthetized as well. It took about a day for my foot to stop tingling, but after that, it really didn't hurt. I wore a surgical shoe and was able to walk right out of the center. I tried to stay off of it for a few days, but my doctor said I could walk on it and it would not do any harm to the procedure. My surgery was on my left foot, but if it were my right, I think I could have driven with no problem. I've read through some of the other comments from patients on this website and some seem to have been on crutches afterwards. It all depends on your doctor I suppose. My kids are grown, but I'm sure with a little help for a few days in the beginning, you'll be able to cope. The main thing for me was that I was so tired of the pain from daily living, that I was anxious to get the surgery, as nothing else worked. I tried all the protocol medical steps and after almost 1 year, it was the next thing for me to do. My only complaint is that athe healing is taking long. I feel like my foot is not stable and I have pain in almost all areas except the original tightening pain that hurt so much. So that's good. My doctor is very patient and guarantees that I will recover. Right now I am in a soft cast, and I am taking inflamatories again, since I was not doing well with just orthotics. My foot feels much better with the support of the soft cast. I just hope it is healing as well. Good luck to you. I think that everyone is different, so you kind of have to go through with it if everything else has failed and you can't take the pain. Basically, I went back to work after 4 days, and tried to stay off of it and keep it up whenever I could. Wrtie me at my #-mail above if you have any questions.

Re: About your surgery...can you explain?

Paula on 4/01/99 at 00:00 (005932)

Hi Kris - Here's the scoop on my EPF experience. I had it done at a day-op center, so you are in and out real quick. About a hour after the procedure, you're out of there. I did have anesthisia, though, so it all depends on how you recover from that. I had no real post-op pain as my whole foot was anesthetized as well. It took about a day for my foot to stop tingling, but after that, it really didn't hurt. I wore a surgical shoe and was able to walk right out of the center. I tried to stay off of it for a few days, but my doctor said I could walk on it and it would not do any harm to the procedure. My surgery was on my left foot, but if it were my right, I think I could have driven with no problem. I've read through some of the other comments from patients on this website and some seem to have been on crutches afterwards. It all depends on your doctor I suppose. My kids are grown, but I'm sure with a little help for a few days in the beginning, you'll be able to cope. The main thing for me was that I was so tired of the pain from daily living, that I was anxious to get the surgery, as nothing else worked. I tried all the protocol medical steps and after almost 1 year, it was the next thing for me to do. My only complaint is that athe healing is taking long. I feel like my foot is not stable and I have pain in almost all areas except the original tightening pain that hurt so much. So that's good. My doctor is very patient and guarantees that I will recover. Right now I am in a soft cast, and I am taking inflamatories again, since I was not doing well with just orthotics. My foot feels much better with the support of the soft cast. I just hope it is healing as well. Good luck to you. I think that everyone is different, so you kind of have to go through with it if everything else has failed and you can't take the pain. Basically, I went back to work after 4 days, and tried to stay off of it and keep it up whenever I could. Wrtie me at my #-mail above if you have any questions.