Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Electrotherapy

Posted by Brenan on 4/03/99 at 00:00 (005985)

Has anyone had electrotherapy done on their heels? I've been going to a podiatrist for about 3 weeks, two times a week. I sit in a chair, he rolls in a little machine, and hooks up elctrical patches to my heels. It tingles when he turns on the power, and I sit there for about 15 minutes. Things definitely feel better during the procedure. I really can't say that it is doing anything lasting. I do know that over the last few weeks I've gone from really sharp pain in both heels to a general 'tightness' in my left heel and almost no pain in my right heel. I'd like to know if anybody else has had this electrotherapy and if they think it is effective.

Re: Electrotherapy

Michelle on 4/03/99 at 00:00 (005986)

I had electrotherapy and did not have any results. It was part of my Physical Therapy which did not help. It sounds like it maybe a help if there is no pain in your right heel. Hopefully that pain will stay away. Good Luck!

Helene on 4/03/99 at 00:00 (005988)

I also had this done by a podiatrist and it definitely diminished my heel pain after two treatments. However, when I had it done at physical therapy, it made me worse. It could be they used a higher setting at physical therapy.

Jane on 4/05/99 at 00:00 (006014)

I had electrotherapy done as part of my physical therapy. They also did ultrasound at each visit. The whole thing made my heel worse instead of better but I don't know if it was one or the other or the combination of both!

Re: Electrotherapy - High/Low

Fred on 4/08/99 at 00:00 (006084)

I also had this done as part of physical therapy treatments. It's hard to say whether they helped or not, because I am doing a lot of things at once (night splints, stretching, etc.). I have had them 4 times; the second time they put it on a 'high/low' setting where it began pulsating on and off after about five minutes (they do it for a total of 15 minutes) and I HATED it!! They turned the current down and I still hated it, so they turned it off, and the other times just left it on the same current the whole time (which felt fine). The high/low setting made my legs tense up and I just wanted to rip the pads off the bottoms of my feet. Good luck!

Michelle on 4/03/99 at 00:00 (005986)

I had electrotherapy and did not have any results. It was part of my Physical Therapy which did not help. It sounds like it maybe a help if there is no pain in your right heel. Hopefully that pain will stay away. Good Luck!

Helene on 4/03/99 at 00:00 (005988)

I also had this done by a podiatrist and it definitely diminished my heel pain after two treatments. However, when I had it done at physical therapy, it made me worse. It could be they used a higher setting at physical therapy.

Jane on 4/05/99 at 00:00 (006014)

I had electrotherapy done as part of my physical therapy. They also did ultrasound at each visit. The whole thing made my heel worse instead of better but I don't know if it was one or the other or the combination of both!

Re: Electrotherapy - High/Low

Fred on 4/08/99 at 00:00 (006084)

I also had this done as part of physical therapy treatments. It's hard to say whether they helped or not, because I am doing a lot of things at once (night splints, stretching, etc.). I have had them 4 times; the second time they put it on a 'high/low' setting where it began pulsating on and off after about five minutes (they do it for a total of 15 minutes) and I HATED it!! They turned the current down and I still hated it, so they turned it off, and the other times just left it on the same current the whole time (which felt fine). The high/low setting made my legs tense up and I just wanted to rip the pads off the bottoms of my feet. Good luck!