Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Running and PF

Posted by Bonnie on 4/04/99 at 00:00 (006008)

My foot pain has been diagnosed as exercised-induced plantar fascitis. My right foot hurts after I run approx. 1/2 mile. The pain is severe, like a strong cramp in the middle of my arch. It continues to hurt for at least another 1/2 mile, then finally eases off. I am able to run about 4 miles, but a numbness occurs in part of my foot and in the tips of my right fingers. Once I stop running, all pain goes away and I'm back to normal. I always ice following a run. Also, I hae no morning pain, as many of you mention. I've had the problem approx. 2 yrs, and have just begun running regularly again. I don't want to do more damage, but since pain stops when I do, I wonder if I am. Anyone else with a similar problem?

Re: Running and PF

Alicia on 4/04/99 at 00:00 (006009)

Bonnie: You need to read Scott's home page and get the basics about plantar fasciitis. Most of us can't do any impact exercise (running, walking, aerobic classes, etc.) Some people can do a little or maybe the PF comes and goes. I would say running would only make the condition worse. I don't know of any PF that only happens when you exercise and then completely goes away. Maybe someone else has experienced this. Not sure about the numbness in your fingers - this sounds more like a nerve problem than PF?

Cheryl R. on 4/05/99 at 00:00 (006012)

I am a runner also. I could not start running again until I had the surgery. DON'T run after you start having pain or you will do more damage. When I first got the heel spur and PF I continued to run even when I had pain. The pain started getting worse and worse till I could not even walk. I tried everything and nothing worked, until I had the surgery. I'd try not running for a while and stretch your calf muscles and see if you get rid of the pain. If you do, then start running again.
Good luck

Bonnie on 4/09/99 at 00:00 (006091)

Thanks Cheryl and Alicia for your response. I believe there's a nerve problem too, like a pinched nerve somewhere. Strangley I can run on a treadmill with very little discomfort, but street running is where I experience the pain.
Back to the doctor...again.

Deb on 4/09/99 at 00:00 (006092)

Cheryl, how long after surgery did you begin running again? I, too, ran after being diagnosed with PF, and apparently made my condition worse. Did you take any extra precautions when you began running again? And, how are you doing now?

Cheryl R. on 4/10/99 at 00:00 (006100)

I continued running for at least a year with the PF and all the pain. It was a big mistake. I just made things worse. I ended up with a fracture in my foot (same one as the heel spur) and I tore the MCL in my knee.
I had surgery in November 98 and just started running again last month. I am up to running 3 miles a day now and have not pain at all. The only time I have pain is after standing on my feet for hours and hours at a time.
Hope this helps some.

Alicia on 4/04/99 at 00:00 (006009)

Bonnie: You need to read Scott's home page and get the basics about plantar fasciitis. Most of us can't do any impact exercise (running, walking, aerobic classes, etc.) Some people can do a little or maybe the PF comes and goes. I would say running would only make the condition worse. I don't know of any PF that only happens when you exercise and then completely goes away. Maybe someone else has experienced this. Not sure about the numbness in your fingers - this sounds more like a nerve problem than PF?

Cheryl R. on 4/05/99 at 00:00 (006012)

I am a runner also. I could not start running again until I had the surgery. DON'T run after you start having pain or you will do more damage. When I first got the heel spur and PF I continued to run even when I had pain. The pain started getting worse and worse till I could not even walk. I tried everything and nothing worked, until I had the surgery. I'd try not running for a while and stretch your calf muscles and see if you get rid of the pain. If you do, then start running again.
Good luck

Bonnie on 4/09/99 at 00:00 (006091)

Thanks Cheryl and Alicia for your response. I believe there's a nerve problem too, like a pinched nerve somewhere. Strangley I can run on a treadmill with very little discomfort, but street running is where I experience the pain.
Back to the doctor...again.

Deb on 4/09/99 at 00:00 (006092)

Cheryl, how long after surgery did you begin running again? I, too, ran after being diagnosed with PF, and apparently made my condition worse. Did you take any extra precautions when you began running again? And, how are you doing now?

Cheryl R. on 4/10/99 at 00:00 (006100)

I continued running for at least a year with the PF and all the pain. It was a big mistake. I just made things worse. I ended up with a fracture in my foot (same one as the heel spur) and I tore the MCL in my knee.
I had surgery in November 98 and just started running again last month. I am up to running 3 miles a day now and have not pain at all. The only time I have pain is after standing on my feet for hours and hours at a time.
Hope this helps some.