Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

"There's a sucker born every minute..."

Posted by Ellen on 4/06/99 at 00:00 (006046)

I am married to a bald-headed man.

We never considered the snake-oil treatments for his male pattern baldness.

I told him about the magnetic pads. He said they might be good... to point your shoes in the right direction if you were lost and help you find 'which way is NORTH'!

Was it P.T. Barnum who said, 'There's a sucker born every minute...'??

ellen

Re: "There's a sucker born every minute..."

Scott on 4/07/99 at 00:00 (006058)

Dear Ellen,
I was once very skeptical of 'snake-oil' treatments. That all changed when I started reading medical literature and watching diabetic friends not having to take insulin shots after getting 800 mcg chromium a day and plenty of vitamin C. Now I'm reading vitamin E at 1,600 IU has nearly as powerful results and lipoic acid often cures nueropathy. Doctors are still amputating diabetic patient's toes and feet simply because they are not aware of vitamin E's effects. People are having to go through bypass surgery almost always because they doctor makes alot of money at it and doesn't tell the patients about E, C, Co-Q10, and lysine. These will cure 90% or more of our common heart troubles. All of this doesn't count as snake oil as the old doctors would have us believe even if it did not work so well because there is no chance of it doing harm. Compare this to cortisone shots and NSAIDS! They usually don't work for very long and can do great damage. I once would have said the same as you about magnetic inserts, but now I'm not so sure.

Jeff on 7/05/99 at 00:00 (008529)

I'm woundering if there are any side effects to taking too much vitamin E?

Scott on 4/07/99 at 00:00 (006058)

Dear Ellen,
I was once very skeptical of 'snake-oil' treatments. That all changed when I started reading medical literature and watching diabetic friends not having to take insulin shots after getting 800 mcg chromium a day and plenty of vitamin C. Now I'm reading vitamin E at 1,600 IU has nearly as powerful results and lipoic acid often cures nueropathy. Doctors are still amputating diabetic patient's toes and feet simply because they are not aware of vitamin E's effects. People are having to go through bypass surgery almost always because they doctor makes alot of money at it and doesn't tell the patients about E, C, Co-Q10, and lysine. These will cure 90% or more of our common heart troubles. All of this doesn't count as snake oil as the old doctors would have us believe even if it did not work so well because there is no chance of it doing harm. Compare this to cortisone shots and NSAIDS! They usually don't work for very long and can do great damage. I once would have said the same as you about magnetic inserts, but now I'm not so sure.

Jeff on 7/05/99 at 00:00 (008529)

I'm woundering if there are any side effects to taking too much vitamin E?