Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nerve pain, orthotics (sorry long)

Posted by Rosalind on 4/06/99 at 00:00 (006050)

At the worst times, I was numb from the knees down (worse on the leg with pf). That was very scarey. I had tingling, numbness, wierd shooting pains (esp. in the toes), and burning, even when I wasn't on my feet or moving (some of that may be due to pf). Something could set off my nerves, such as new orthotics, or a shoes, and it felt like the nerves would keep firing for a long time after the stimulus was gone, like I had spasm. My neuromuscular therapist said my leg and thigh muscles were incredibly tight and that a lot of nerves go through a very small space in the ankles, and can get easily squeezed by tight muscles. Every once in a while I had slight puffiness in my ankles.

My podiatrist never diagnosed tarsal tunnel syndrome, but thought it was a possibility and that a neurologist could give me a diagnosis. But from what I read on this message board, a lot of the time diagnostic tests don't turn up anything, and you're still left with the symptoms, so I decided to focus most of my money (I have only catastrophic health insurance) and time working on the symptoms instead.

Accupuncture, stress reduction, massage - I think that all helped. I also rubbed St. John's Wort oil into my feet at night, took Nature's Way B Stress, Kava Kava extract, St. John's Wort capsules too, also to try to relax the muscles and nerves. I should mention that my original approach was to go with physical therapy, NSAIDS, ultrasound, taping, etc. but I didn't see results, and in fact I got worse. And when I tried the Qi Gong, I was skeptical it would help, but I saw results quickly and continue to do so. I have cut back on accupuncture and massage for financial reasons, but am still doing everything else, including icing my foot, keeping my feet up as much as possible (I type in bed on a laptop computer), and wearing a night splint.

The first orthotics were hard, made at an athletic footwear shop. The second orthotics were soft foam, made by a podiatrist who was the ex-Chief of Podiatry at Children's Hospital in Boston. The third orthotics were made by a pedorthist. He calls them hard, but they are really quite flexible. The pedorthist also makes orthopedic shoes and can even modify shoes that don't take orthotics to make them wearable.

Re: Nerve pain, orthotics (sorry long)

Jane on 4/07/99 at 00:00 (006061)

Thanks so much for the info! Now I'm wondering, what is Qi Gong? I searched the other messages for a clue, but didn't find anything so I have to bug you again. Is is anything like yoga?..before I got the foot problem I did alot of yoga, but now I can't do any of the standing poses.

maureen on 4/07/99 at 00:00 (006062)

Qi Gong is similar to Tai Chi. I am responding more, however, to your comment about stopping yoga due to pf pain. I love yoga, and have been working for the past couple of months to modify my practice to allow my feet to heal. This is what is currently helping me. I am taping my feet before yoga class, which is providing the arch support I was missing. I have gotten a thicker yoga mat, and have also added another pad under it for class (Hugger Mugger has them). I ice my feet as soon as possible after the class. For my home practice, I have moved my yoga mat of the hardwood floor and onto the carpet. For the past two months I have done very few standing poses outside of class, in order to give my feet time to heal. I have been working instead on forward bends and hip openers. These interventions seem to be working, and my feet are beginning to heel, and my spirit stays intact. Good luck!

Dennis on 6/23/99 at 00:00 (008056)

Rosalind,

Thank you for sharing your experience. It has been quite helpful in sharing the pain I am experiencing with someone else. I have had these symptoms for approximately 3 months now as I was diagnosed with Planta fascitiis in both feet after taking up basketball at the age of 36. I have been wearing my rigid orthotics and stretching my calf muscles religiously. The Tarsal Tunnel Symptoms have seem to subsided in my right foot about a week ago, however, my left foot is screaming. It seems to go away when I walk around somewhat and later in the day, however, prolonged sitting tends to make it creep up on me. If I stand in one place for any length of time I feet burn immensely. Did you ever experience this and do you have any suggestions?
I know I have not had this quite as long as you but I was hoping you could provide some incite. It really is frustrating. Thanks in advance.

Hoping you feel better soon,

Dennis

Jane on 4/07/99 at 00:00 (006061)

Thanks so much for the info! Now I'm wondering, what is Qi Gong? I searched the other messages for a clue, but didn't find anything so I have to bug you again. Is is anything like yoga?..before I got the foot problem I did alot of yoga, but now I can't do any of the standing poses.

maureen on 4/07/99 at 00:00 (006062)

Qi Gong is similar to Tai Chi. I am responding more, however, to your comment about stopping yoga due to pf pain. I love yoga, and have been working for the past couple of months to modify my practice to allow my feet to heal. This is what is currently helping me. I am taping my feet before yoga class, which is providing the arch support I was missing. I have gotten a thicker yoga mat, and have also added another pad under it for class (Hugger Mugger has them). I ice my feet as soon as possible after the class. For my home practice, I have moved my yoga mat of the hardwood floor and onto the carpet. For the past two months I have done very few standing poses outside of class, in order to give my feet time to heal. I have been working instead on forward bends and hip openers. These interventions seem to be working, and my feet are beginning to heel, and my spirit stays intact. Good luck!

Dennis on 6/23/99 at 00:00 (008056)

Rosalind,

Thank you for sharing your experience. It has been quite helpful in sharing the pain I am experiencing with someone else. I have had these symptoms for approximately 3 months now as I was diagnosed with Planta fascitiis in both feet after taking up basketball at the age of 36. I have been wearing my rigid orthotics and stretching my calf muscles religiously. The Tarsal Tunnel Symptoms have seem to subsided in my right foot about a week ago, however, my left foot is screaming. It seems to go away when I walk around somewhat and later in the day, however, prolonged sitting tends to make it creep up on me. If I stand in one place for any length of time I feet burn immensely. Did you ever experience this and do you have any suggestions?
I know I have not had this quite as long as you but I was hoping you could provide some incite. It really is frustrating. Thanks in advance.

Hoping you feel better soon,

Dennis