Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I bought some birkenstocks

Posted by kelus on 4/11/99 at 00:00 (006106)

These shoes are killing my feet and making them worse!!!
Does anyone have any suggestions? They are the Milano. I was told that they were the right ones for extremely high arches.

Help!

Kelus

Re: I bought some birkenstocks

Angie on 4/11/99 at 00:00 (006108)

Take them off!

Mine were wonderful right out of the box, but not for everyone. There is a break in period, are you past that? Maybe too much too soon?

I'm definately learning that there are no 'one size fits all' remedies for this.

Good luck!

Dorothy on 4/11/99 at 00:00 (006109)

I was one of the people for whom Birkenstocks worked immediately. But I already had a well-worn pair when I got PF. When I got Mephisto sandles they hurt, but felt wonderful because they were pushing my arch up. Sorry, can't explain what I mean.
But why not try wearing the Birkenstocks 10 or 15 minutes at a time and then work up to longer periods slowly. It may be that your feet are so sore that they need to be treated very gently. By the way, I also have very high arches, and years ago my podiatrist suggested AVIA running shoes -- I was too cheap to buy them, but now I'm willing to spend the money! I'm passing that along only because you might want to try them on. They also have a broad toe box.
Good luck with the Birkenstocks -- I just about live in my Birkenstock slides and wear Birkenstock insoles in my dress/work shoes.

Robin on 4/14/99 at 00:00 (006151)

I have been wearing Birks exclusively since December, and I find they help me a lot. I do believe there are people for whom Birks either don't work or don't work nearly as well, and perhaps you are one.

But -- I have been pretty loyal to my local Birk store and have learned a lot about the shoes from the sales people there (who even have handouts on how Birks are used to help PF). My top recommendation to you is to get properly fitted, and the people at Dillards can't do this. If I had converted my normal shoe size to a Birk, I would have gone from a 9 or 9.5 to a European size 40. Instead, I wear a Birk 38 very comfortably. That's the equivalent of a 7.5 or 8. My point is -- only with proper fitting will the Birk arch support support you in the right place. The soles of these shoes are hard -- if the arch support and rounded carved out heel cup are not in the right place, your feet will hurt more.

The other advice I received is: wear them GRADUALLY. An hour a day on padded carpet around the house to start. I'm not so sure about rolling up the toe end -- the shoe itself will start to adapt to the shape of your feet as you break them in. With sandals, the strap nearest the toe should be snug but the strap higher up towards your ankle should be a little loose to accommodate foot movement in walking. I have to differ on the question of socks and padding. Birks weren't mean to be padded or filled up with socks like athletic shoes. The reason they are structured and built as they are is to properly distribute the weight of your foot and body where it should be. In the beginning, that distribution can hurt a lot. If you have a Birk store near you, I would bring your Birks in and ask for advice. The other place you might try is Birkenstockexpress.com. They have a full selection and they have helpful telephone people as well. Good luck. I hope the shoes eventually work better for you.

Angie on 4/11/99 at 00:00 (006108)

Take them off!

Mine were wonderful right out of the box, but not for everyone. There is a break in period, are you past that? Maybe too much too soon?

I'm definately learning that there are no 'one size fits all' remedies for this.

Good luck!

Dorothy on 4/11/99 at 00:00 (006109)

I was one of the people for whom Birkenstocks worked immediately. But I already had a well-worn pair when I got PF. When I got Mephisto sandles they hurt, but felt wonderful because they were pushing my arch up. Sorry, can't explain what I mean.
But why not try wearing the Birkenstocks 10 or 15 minutes at a time and then work up to longer periods slowly. It may be that your feet are so sore that they need to be treated very gently. By the way, I also have very high arches, and years ago my podiatrist suggested AVIA running shoes -- I was too cheap to buy them, but now I'm willing to spend the money! I'm passing that along only because you might want to try them on. They also have a broad toe box.
Good luck with the Birkenstocks -- I just about live in my Birkenstock slides and wear Birkenstock insoles in my dress/work shoes.

Robin on 4/14/99 at 00:00 (006151)

I have been wearing Birks exclusively since December, and I find they help me a lot. I do believe there are people for whom Birks either don't work or don't work nearly as well, and perhaps you are one.

But -- I have been pretty loyal to my local Birk store and have learned a lot about the shoes from the sales people there (who even have handouts on how Birks are used to help PF). My top recommendation to you is to get properly fitted, and the people at Dillards can't do this. If I had converted my normal shoe size to a Birk, I would have gone from a 9 or 9.5 to a European size 40. Instead, I wear a Birk 38 very comfortably. That's the equivalent of a 7.5 or 8. My point is -- only with proper fitting will the Birk arch support support you in the right place. The soles of these shoes are hard -- if the arch support and rounded carved out heel cup are not in the right place, your feet will hurt more.

The other advice I received is: wear them GRADUALLY. An hour a day on padded carpet around the house to start. I'm not so sure about rolling up the toe end -- the shoe itself will start to adapt to the shape of your feet as you break them in. With sandals, the strap nearest the toe should be snug but the strap higher up towards your ankle should be a little loose to accommodate foot movement in walking. I have to differ on the question of socks and padding. Birks weren't mean to be padded or filled up with socks like athletic shoes. The reason they are structured and built as they are is to properly distribute the weight of your foot and body where it should be. In the beginning, that distribution can hurt a lot. If you have a Birk store near you, I would bring your Birks in and ask for advice. The other place you might try is Birkenstockexpress.com. They have a full selection and they have helpful telephone people as well. Good luck. I hope the shoes eventually work better for you.