Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To: Janet

Posted by Susan Linden on 4/12/99 at 00:00 (006134)

You are welcome. I like that people put what helps them on here. We are helping each other. And there is real sympathy and caring from the people on here. We all know what the other person is going through. It is more than just sore feet. I am going for my third ultrasound treatment at the Chiropractors tomorrow. I can't wait. Let me know if rounding the toes of your Birks helps. It sure made mine more comfortable. Curl them up each time you put them on until they stay that way on their own. And let me know if you try the double sock trick and if it helps you.

Re: To: Janet

Sue on 4/14/99 at 00:00 (006157)

I have a pair of brand new Birk sandals in my closet I can't wear. I tried to break them in gradually. Please explain what rounding up the toe means? I was fitted with Birk orthotics which didn't help. I wear New Balance running shoes and will be fitted with custom orthotics.

Susan Linden on 4/15/99 at 00:00 (006163)

Rounding the toe up is taking the Birk and gently flexing the sandal/shoe right where the toe grip is on the shoe. It will happen naturally, but according to the Birk instruction pamphlet gently bending the toes with your hands will speed up the process and make them more comfortable quicker. I rested the heel of each sandal against my thigh and laid the palm of my hand across the toe of each of the shoes and pulled backward to get it to flex. I do it every time I put them on, because until they are set that way, they will go back flat. Rounding them helps put the toe grip area right where it needs to be instead of under the toe where it causes pain.

I had put that for now I am wearing a Thorlo running sock under the Birkenstock socks. Someone disagreed with that. That's okay, but I bruised the heel of my foot stepping on a rock, which caused the fat pad to go away in my foot. So I need the extra padding to make up for the missing fat pad between the skin and my tendons. This is a case of each person has to try different things and do what helps them.

Sue on 4/14/99 at 00:00 (006157)

I have a pair of brand new Birk sandals in my closet I can't wear. I tried to break them in gradually. Please explain what rounding up the toe means? I was fitted with Birk orthotics which didn't help. I wear New Balance running shoes and will be fitted with custom orthotics.

Susan Linden on 4/15/99 at 00:00 (006163)

Rounding the toe up is taking the Birk and gently flexing the sandal/shoe right where the toe grip is on the shoe. It will happen naturally, but according to the Birk instruction pamphlet gently bending the toes with your hands will speed up the process and make them more comfortable quicker. I rested the heel of each sandal against my thigh and laid the palm of my hand across the toe of each of the shoes and pulled backward to get it to flex. I do it every time I put them on, because until they are set that way, they will go back flat. Rounding them helps put the toe grip area right where it needs to be instead of under the toe where it causes pain.

I had put that for now I am wearing a Thorlo running sock under the Birkenstock socks. Someone disagreed with that. That's okay, but I bruised the heel of my foot stepping on a rock, which caused the fat pad to go away in my foot. So I need the extra padding to make up for the missing fat pad between the skin and my tendons. This is a case of each person has to try different things and do what helps them.