Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My podiatrist told me...

Posted by Diane on 4/13/99 at 00:00 (006140)

I have had PF for only 3 months. The podiatrist I was referred to told me there is no surgery for this condition, and did not even mention stretching. Further, he stated that over-the-counter orthotics were basically useless, and that I would get 'great relief' from custom-made orthotics (which he, coincidently, makes!). My insurance won't cover this expense, so I'd like to explore the less-expensive options before I spend my own money on customs. My questions:
1) Is there really no surgery for this condition? I've seen several references to it on this website.
2) Are over-the-counter orthotics really 'useless'?
3) Should I see a new podiatrist?

Re: My podiatrist told me...

Jane on 4/13/99 at 00:00 (006143)

Go with #3 - see a new doctor!
Read Scott's write-up and you'll see that there are other options available to you. Good luck!

BarbJ on 4/13/99 at 00:00 (006147)

Don'w walk--RUN to a new podiatrist/orthopedist...

Polly on 4/13/99 at 00:00 (006149)

I agree....your doctor sounds useless. Stretching, icing and ibuprophen have worked wonders. First thing you should do is get yourself a really supportive pair of shoes. New Balance Walking shoes look nice and have great arch support. I've also had great luck with Salomon hiking boots (ankle high). Then get yourself to a Chiropractor who works a lot of athletes or at least foot alignment. I've been to an Orthopedic Doctor, a podiatrist and finally it was the chiropractor that did the trick. Surgery seems to be a last case scenario - so talk it over with a GOOD doctor. Ditch that other one. Good luck.

Lauren on 4/15/99 at 00:00 (006162)

Is there no control over these guys? I had a very similar experience with a podiatrist who told me my PF would clear up in 3 weeks (although I could hardly walk when I went to see him after overdoing my running on a treadmill) if I iced it and took 600 mgs of ibuprofen daily. No stretching was mentioned, and four months later I have experienced gross atrophy in my left leg due to constantly favoring my right side to reduce the pain. I had to insist on physical therapy, which, thanks to ultrasound and daily stretching, is finally improving the situation but I still have a ways to go.

BTW< Has anyone else had bad experiences with treadmills?

Jane on 4/13/99 at 00:00 (006143)

Go with #3 - see a new doctor!
Read Scott's write-up and you'll see that there are other options available to you. Good luck!

BarbJ on 4/13/99 at 00:00 (006147)

Don'w walk--RUN to a new podiatrist/orthopedist...

Polly on 4/13/99 at 00:00 (006149)

I agree....your doctor sounds useless. Stretching, icing and ibuprophen have worked wonders. First thing you should do is get yourself a really supportive pair of shoes. New Balance Walking shoes look nice and have great arch support. I've also had great luck with Salomon hiking boots (ankle high). Then get yourself to a Chiropractor who works a lot of athletes or at least foot alignment. I've been to an Orthopedic Doctor, a podiatrist and finally it was the chiropractor that did the trick. Surgery seems to be a last case scenario - so talk it over with a GOOD doctor. Ditch that other one. Good luck.

Lauren on 4/15/99 at 00:00 (006162)

Is there no control over these guys? I had a very similar experience with a podiatrist who told me my PF would clear up in 3 weeks (although I could hardly walk when I went to see him after overdoing my running on a treadmill) if I iced it and took 600 mgs of ibuprofen daily. No stretching was mentioned, and four months later I have experienced gross atrophy in my left leg due to constantly favoring my right side to reduce the pain. I had to insist on physical therapy, which, thanks to ultrasound and daily stretching, is finally improving the situation but I still have a ways to go.

BTW< Has anyone else had bad experiences with treadmills?