Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel spur removal after EPF

Posted by Renee' on 4/15/99 at 00:00 (006164)

I had EPF surgery in September of l998 and my foot has continually
gotten worse. Went to my foot doctor yesterday and he is now
suggesting we go ahead and do surgery to remove the heel spur itself
and a complete plantar fascia release. Has anyone else had the heel
spur removed after EPF and what were the results. You can e-mail me
privately if you prefer or I will check for responses on this list.
Thank you all.

Re: Heel spur removal after EPF

Polly on 4/16/99 at 00:00 (006165)

Renee, I'm sorry I don't have any insight for you but I sure wish you the best of luck. I think if I've learned anything though it's to get a second, maybe even third opinion. Just by reading through the comments on this message board is good enough testimony to that.
I wish you the best of luck. Take control.

Paula on 4/18/99 at 00:00 (006174)

What do you mean by 'heel getting worse?' Is the pain the same as before the EPF? Or is there other foot pain. My foot feels worse as well since my EPF, but my pain is up the side and throughout, almost like a sprain. My original 'tightening feeling' is gone since the partial release. From what I know, the spur can be there forever and that itself doesn't cause pain. If your pain is the exact same as before the surgery, maybe a full release will help, but you may then have the pains that I have throughout the rest of the foot. So, get other opinions, for sure. Write me back. I'm curious if your pains are the same or different from before the surgery. Thanks

DaNita on 4/18/99 at 00:00 (006178)

I have had the heel spur removed completely from my left foot. I had a partial pf realease and they took part of the bone spur then. I continually got worse, including pain in my entire foot and in my ankles. I was then told to have the whole spur removed which I did, it was called a stiner stripping, they release all the pf all the way across the heel and remove the whole bone spur. This did not help me at all, I have only gotten worse, I am now on disability because of all this. IF I WERE YOU I WOULD GET ANOTHER OPINION. Some surgeries work for some and not for others. I just fell into the 'not'.
Good Luck and keep us posted!

Polly on 4/16/99 at 00:00 (006165)

Renee, I'm sorry I don't have any insight for you but I sure wish you the best of luck. I think if I've learned anything though it's to get a second, maybe even third opinion. Just by reading through the comments on this message board is good enough testimony to that.
I wish you the best of luck. Take control.

Paula on 4/18/99 at 00:00 (006174)

What do you mean by 'heel getting worse?' Is the pain the same as before the EPF? Or is there other foot pain. My foot feels worse as well since my EPF, but my pain is up the side and throughout, almost like a sprain. My original 'tightening feeling' is gone since the partial release. From what I know, the spur can be there forever and that itself doesn't cause pain. If your pain is the exact same as before the surgery, maybe a full release will help, but you may then have the pains that I have throughout the rest of the foot. So, get other opinions, for sure. Write me back. I'm curious if your pains are the same or different from before the surgery. Thanks

DaNita on 4/18/99 at 00:00 (006178)

I have had the heel spur removed completely from my left foot. I had a partial pf realease and they took part of the bone spur then. I continually got worse, including pain in my entire foot and in my ankles. I was then told to have the whole spur removed which I did, it was called a stiner stripping, they release all the pf all the way across the heel and remove the whole bone spur. This did not help me at all, I have only gotten worse, I am now on disability because of all this. IF I WERE YOU I WOULD GET ANOTHER OPINION. Some surgeries work for some and not for others. I just fell into the 'not'.
Good Luck and keep us posted!