Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bone spur at the rear of the heel

Posted by Dave S on 4/16/99 at 00:00 (006168)

I have a bone spur at the exact rear of my heel, just where the achilles tendon connects. It keeps irritating the tendon, so that it hurts after walking for an hour or so. I've tried immobilizing it for a month, and I'm not sure that's enough. I've also put a bunion cushion over it to protect it. My podiatrist says he may have to operate if it doesn't respond after another month or so. I'm interested in any solutions people have found to this.

Re: Bone spur at the rear of the heel

KAREN on 4/19/99 at 00:00 (006186)

I ALSO HAVE SPURS IN THE BACK OF THE HEELS. ALTHOUGH THE PODIATRIST CALLS IT PLANTAR FACIITIS, I'M NOT SURE. IT MAKES THE FIRST STEPS PAINFUL AND BEING ON MY FEET PAINFUL, BUT NOT UNDER MY FOOT. MY PAIN IS USUALLY AROUND THE ANKLE AND I'M UNABLE TO BEND MY ANKLE. BIRK'S AND NEW BALANCE HAVE HELPED ME. I FOLLOWED THE PODIATRIST RECOMMENDATIONS, WORE A SHOE WITH A HEEL EVEN TRIED THE REMOVABLE CAST FOR AWHILE. THIS ONLY MADE IT MORE DIFFICULT TO WALK. A GOOD PT WORKED ON MY CALF MUSCLES AND HAD ME WALKING AGAIN. I NOW ICE AND STRETCH AND WEAR MY BIRKS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

Rachel on 4/22/99 at 00:00 (006238)

Try getting some Vita-Cal from Shaklee. Eat 12/day until the pain is gone. I tried lots of other things but this is the only thing that has totally eliminated my pain.

KAREN on 4/19/99 at 00:00 (006186)

I ALSO HAVE SPURS IN THE BACK OF THE HEELS. ALTHOUGH THE PODIATRIST CALLS IT PLANTAR FACIITIS, I'M NOT SURE. IT MAKES THE FIRST STEPS PAINFUL AND BEING ON MY FEET PAINFUL, BUT NOT UNDER MY FOOT. MY PAIN IS USUALLY AROUND THE ANKLE AND I'M UNABLE TO BEND MY ANKLE. BIRK'S AND NEW BALANCE HAVE HELPED ME. I FOLLOWED THE PODIATRIST RECOMMENDATIONS, WORE A SHOE WITH A HEEL EVEN TRIED THE REMOVABLE CAST FOR AWHILE. THIS ONLY MADE IT MORE DIFFICULT TO WALK. A GOOD PT WORKED ON MY CALF MUSCLES AND HAD ME WALKING AGAIN. I NOW ICE AND STRETCH AND WEAR MY BIRKS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

Rachel on 4/22/99 at 00:00 (006238)

Try getting some Vita-Cal from Shaklee. Eat 12/day until the pain is gone. I tried lots of other things but this is the only thing that has totally eliminated my pain.