Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need Advice on Custom Orthotics

Posted by Sue on 4/17/99 at 00:00 (006170)

I am getting fitted with custom orthotics on Friday. I have been fitted with Birk cork insert orthotics whick I wore 24/7 for two months. They didn't seem to help. I also have tried Birk sandals and
a rigid plastic orthotic from the podiatrist which killed my feet. I would like some advice on what custom orthotic material seems to be the best. The good news is that my insurance covers custom orthotics.

Re: Need Advice on Custom Orthotics

Susan Linden on 4/17/99 at 00:00 (006172)

As I have posted before, I am using my second pair, and I love them. Mine are made of a ground up cork material. Because I have no fat pad on either of my heels between the skin and the tendons, the guy that made mine put a special soft cushion material (it does not crush completely down)under the neoprene with nylon covering. I have them relined every six months. The cost here in W. Va. to reline them is just $10. Make sure that the person that makes yours watches you walk on a hard surface without the orthotics so he can see how your feet and ankles move. That is how they know how to make the corrections with your orthotics so that your feet and ankles move like they should. Even after you wear them awhile they can ajust them if they are not quite right. Sometimes the first pair need a little 'tweaking'. A tip to help them last....take them out of your shoes and let them dry all over every night. Mike, the guy that makes mine, was shocked when I told him they were three years old. Good Luck!!

Michelle on 4/18/99 at 00:00 (006173)

I have orthotice that are the 'hard' kind. They were painful for the first few weeks, but now they feel pretty good (I have had them about 1 month). When I do a lot of standing in concrete floors my feet do hurt. I may have one of the orthotics adjusted because it feels like my arch is going to cramp up sometimes. Atlest your insurance will cover the cost. You are LUCKY!!!!!!

Sue on 4/18/99 at 00:00 (006179)

Are you orthotics made by a doctor or a physical therapist? Or how do you find someone who makes this kind?

Susan Linden on 4/18/99 at 00:00 (006181)

Sue,

My orthotics are made by a guy that makes them as well as prosthetics, artificial limbs, in Huntington, West Virginia. I was referred to him by my physical therapist as the best in our area. After going to him, I agree. He watched me walk barefoot, and in my shoes, on the vinyl tile hallway at his shop. That way he could see how my ankles pronated and how my foot landed and broke over for the next step. That way he knew how to put the correction in my orthotics for my problems. Someone else posted that orthotics are molded from our incorrect feet, a good orthotics maker does what mine did. He uses the othotics to correct the faults, not support their continued way of operating. Let me know where you are from, and I will check with Mike and see if he can recommend someone for you that works like he does.

Re: Need Advice on Custom Orthotics,Thanks Susan

Sue on 4/19/99 at 00:00 (006188)

Thanks for your response. I live in Burlington, Vermont. I just got a pair of orthotics from the podiatrist but they are hard and have not helped. I appreciate any help. Sue

Susan Linden on 4/19/99 at 00:00 (006192)

Sue,

I will try to remember to call Mike tomorrow and see if he can recommend someone in your area. And I will let you know. Someday I want to visit your beautiful state in the fall.

Susan Linden on 4/17/99 at 00:00 (006172)

As I have posted before, I am using my second pair, and I love them. Mine are made of a ground up cork material. Because I have no fat pad on either of my heels between the skin and the tendons, the guy that made mine put a special soft cushion material (it does not crush completely down)under the neoprene with nylon covering. I have them relined every six months. The cost here in W. Va. to reline them is just $10. Make sure that the person that makes yours watches you walk on a hard surface without the orthotics so he can see how your feet and ankles move. That is how they know how to make the corrections with your orthotics so that your feet and ankles move like they should. Even after you wear them awhile they can ajust them if they are not quite right. Sometimes the first pair need a little 'tweaking'. A tip to help them last....take them out of your shoes and let them dry all over every night. Mike, the guy that makes mine, was shocked when I told him they were three years old. Good Luck!!

Michelle on 4/18/99 at 00:00 (006173)

I have orthotice that are the 'hard' kind. They were painful for the first few weeks, but now they feel pretty good (I have had them about 1 month). When I do a lot of standing in concrete floors my feet do hurt. I may have one of the orthotics adjusted because it feels like my arch is going to cramp up sometimes. Atlest your insurance will cover the cost. You are LUCKY!!!!!!

Sue on 4/18/99 at 00:00 (006179)

Are you orthotics made by a doctor or a physical therapist? Or how do you find someone who makes this kind?

Susan Linden on 4/18/99 at 00:00 (006181)

Sue,

My orthotics are made by a guy that makes them as well as prosthetics, artificial limbs, in Huntington, West Virginia. I was referred to him by my physical therapist as the best in our area. After going to him, I agree. He watched me walk barefoot, and in my shoes, on the vinyl tile hallway at his shop. That way he could see how my ankles pronated and how my foot landed and broke over for the next step. That way he knew how to put the correction in my orthotics for my problems. Someone else posted that orthotics are molded from our incorrect feet, a good orthotics maker does what mine did. He uses the othotics to correct the faults, not support their continued way of operating. Let me know where you are from, and I will check with Mike and see if he can recommend someone for you that works like he does.

Sue on 4/19/99 at 00:00 (006188)

Thanks for your response. I live in Burlington, Vermont. I just got a pair of orthotics from the podiatrist but they are hard and have not helped. I appreciate any help. Sue

Susan Linden on 4/19/99 at 00:00 (006192)

Sue,

I will try to remember to call Mike tomorrow and see if he can recommend someone in your area. And I will let you know. Someday I want to visit your beautiful state in the fall.