Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF - No Relief

Posted by Abby on 4/17/99 at 00:00 (006171)

I have had PF now since Feb. I go for physio twice a week for ice and ultra-sound and still nothing is helping. Does anyone know what kind of shoes work best? If I stay off my foot it doesn't hurt but as soon as I try to walk too long the pain comess and won't go away till I stay off my foot for a few hours. I am getting frustrated with this pain. Every shoe I wear ends up hurting. I'm not sure about orthotics, there expensive and everyone I talk to says they don't really help. Does anything help?

Re: PF - No Relief

shugga on 4/18/99 at 00:00 (006176)

My podiatrist told me to always wear shoes where the heel is at least an inch higher than the sole. I have been wearing Rockports, Dexters, Naturalizer, and Red Cross shoes with great success. I also swear by Glucosamine sulfate with chondroitin, it takes at least a month before you feel any effect, and it is expensive, but it has worked miracles for me. I rarely if ever have any pain at all any more.
Good luck!

Paula on 4/18/99 at 00:00 (006177)

Has your doctor suggested stretching? Unfortunately, my story started out like yours and 8 months of trying everything, I had the PF surgery. My foot is still 'not happy'...a different pain now. Everyone is different and every doctor treats this condition somewhat differently. Try and find a good doctor and follow his/her advice. Also, read this web site thoroughly. You'll find countless suggestions and some answers to your questions. Good luck.

John C. on 4/18/99 at 00:00 (006180)

Abby,
If you have not done so, I highly recommend that you read all of Scott's material on this web site. Scott's 18 page document is the best place to start. Also, take a look at his 'What Works' survey. In that document, arch supports (orthotics) have the highest percentage for helping people of any of the treatments. I know in my own case (PF for 1 year) the greatest help I have had was when I got my custom orthotics. Yes, they can be expensive, but having PF for a long time can be expensive also. Check your insurance, mine paid for my pair ($175).
Best wishes.

Lisa D. on 4/19/99 at 00:00 (006182)

I highly recommend stretching and ice. These have helped me immensely. Also, as shugga says, shoes with heels are also helpful. My doctor explained that heels take the pressure off your heel.

Rachel on 4/22/99 at 00:00 (006237)

I have had great relief by eating Shaklee's Vita-Cal, 12/day until the pain is gone. If it reoccurs, I then resume eating them. I had tried several things for relief but this is the only thing that has helped.

marilyn on 4/22/99 at 00:00 (006249)

It really is nice to hear that someone has had definite RELIEF from any one source.What vitamins are in the Vita cal??Marilyn

CM on 4/22/99 at 00:00 (006252)

New Balance shoes are great. they have a special shoe just for this condition. Get yourself fitted by an old fashioned shoe person who knows what they're talking about.

Regania on 4/25/99 at 00:00 (006278)

I HAD BUNION SURGERY IN APRIL 1996, ON BOTH FEET. MY FEET FELT GREAT
UNTIL APRIL 1998. I STARTED HAVING PAIN IN MY RIGHT HEEL. IN JULY AN
X-RAY SHOWED A HEEL SPUR. WENT TO FOOT DOCTOR, WE DONE 3 COTIZONE SHOTS, DIDN'T HELP. IN FEB. 1999 I HAD PF SURGERY, TO RELIVE PAIN IT
HAS NOT HELPED. THEY GAVE ME A PRESCRIPTION FOR INFLAMMATION. IT HAS
NOT HELPED. NOW WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF SETTING UP A SURGERY DATE.
PLEASE NOTE I HAD ORTHODITICS MADE FOR ME AFTER BUNION SURGERY AND WEAR THEM FAITHFULLY. ANY OPINIONS GRATEFUL. SCARED.

Rachel on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006303)

In the Shaklee VitaCal there is per 3 tablet serving:
200 I.U. of Vit. D
3 mg. of Thiamin
3 mg of Riboflavin
750 mg of Calcium
500 mg of Phosphorus
I hope this answers your question. Shaklee has a web page at
http://www.Shaklee.com

shugga on 4/18/99 at 00:00 (006176)

My podiatrist told me to always wear shoes where the heel is at least an inch higher than the sole. I have been wearing Rockports, Dexters, Naturalizer, and Red Cross shoes with great success. I also swear by Glucosamine sulfate with chondroitin, it takes at least a month before you feel any effect, and it is expensive, but it has worked miracles for me. I rarely if ever have any pain at all any more.
Good luck!

Paula on 4/18/99 at 00:00 (006177)

Has your doctor suggested stretching? Unfortunately, my story started out like yours and 8 months of trying everything, I had the PF surgery. My foot is still 'not happy'...a different pain now. Everyone is different and every doctor treats this condition somewhat differently. Try and find a good doctor and follow his/her advice. Also, read this web site thoroughly. You'll find countless suggestions and some answers to your questions. Good luck.

John C. on 4/18/99 at 00:00 (006180)

Abby,
If you have not done so, I highly recommend that you read all of Scott's material on this web site. Scott's 18 page document is the best place to start. Also, take a look at his 'What Works' survey. In that document, arch supports (orthotics) have the highest percentage for helping people of any of the treatments. I know in my own case (PF for 1 year) the greatest help I have had was when I got my custom orthotics. Yes, they can be expensive, but having PF for a long time can be expensive also. Check your insurance, mine paid for my pair ($175).
Best wishes.

Lisa D. on 4/19/99 at 00:00 (006182)

I highly recommend stretching and ice. These have helped me immensely. Also, as shugga says, shoes with heels are also helpful. My doctor explained that heels take the pressure off your heel.

Rachel on 4/22/99 at 00:00 (006237)

I have had great relief by eating Shaklee's Vita-Cal, 12/day until the pain is gone. If it reoccurs, I then resume eating them. I had tried several things for relief but this is the only thing that has helped.

marilyn on 4/22/99 at 00:00 (006249)

It really is nice to hear that someone has had definite RELIEF from any one source.What vitamins are in the Vita cal??Marilyn

CM on 4/22/99 at 00:00 (006252)

New Balance shoes are great. they have a special shoe just for this condition. Get yourself fitted by an old fashioned shoe person who knows what they're talking about.

Regania on 4/25/99 at 00:00 (006278)

I HAD BUNION SURGERY IN APRIL 1996, ON BOTH FEET. MY FEET FELT GREAT
UNTIL APRIL 1998. I STARTED HAVING PAIN IN MY RIGHT HEEL. IN JULY AN
X-RAY SHOWED A HEEL SPUR. WENT TO FOOT DOCTOR, WE DONE 3 COTIZONE SHOTS, DIDN'T HELP. IN FEB. 1999 I HAD PF SURGERY, TO RELIVE PAIN IT
HAS NOT HELPED. THEY GAVE ME A PRESCRIPTION FOR INFLAMMATION. IT HAS
NOT HELPED. NOW WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF SETTING UP A SURGERY DATE.
PLEASE NOTE I HAD ORTHODITICS MADE FOR ME AFTER BUNION SURGERY AND WEAR THEM FAITHFULLY. ANY OPINIONS GRATEFUL. SCARED.

Rachel on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006303)

In the Shaklee VitaCal there is per 3 tablet serving:
200 I.U. of Vit. D
3 mg. of Thiamin
3 mg of Riboflavin
750 mg of Calcium
500 mg of Phosphorus
I hope this answers your question. Shaklee has a web page at
http://www.Shaklee.com