Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

leg length difference and heel lift???

Posted by sue on 4/19/99 at 00:00 (006189)

has anyone been told they have a leg length difference that could be causing some of their pf?? My physical therapist recommended trying a heel lift but warned me in some cases it can cause other problems with the hips and lower back?? Any feedback would be helpful before trying this.
thanks

Re: leg length difference and heel lift???

Gina on 4/19/99 at 00:00 (006199)

I have a leg length difference and have been told the difference could be partially responsible for my lower back pain (also have scoliosis). Was also told that heel lift might reduce my pain; tried a couple of them but couldn't tell any difference in heel or back pain.

Michelle on 4/19/99 at 00:00 (006201)

I have been measured by a physical therapist and my foot Dr. and they both say that I have one leg longer than the other. I was given a heel lift by my Dr. and I really didn't notice any difference. I think it was just an easy way to get an extra $8.00 out of me!!!!

Alison on 4/21/99 at 00:00 (006231)

My left leg appears longer, but it's because my left hip bone is much smaller than my right. I've been told that this may be why I can't tolerate jobs that require me to be continuously on my feet.Heel lifts seemed to throw my my back or hips out of alignment. They also strained the muscle behind my knees - bending my knee became very painfull.Leather orthotics or Dansko clogs work best for me.

Gina on 4/19/99 at 00:00 (006199)

I have a leg length difference and have been told the difference could be partially responsible for my lower back pain (also have scoliosis). Was also told that heel lift might reduce my pain; tried a couple of them but couldn't tell any difference in heel or back pain.

Michelle on 4/19/99 at 00:00 (006201)

I have been measured by a physical therapist and my foot Dr. and they both say that I have one leg longer than the other. I was given a heel lift by my Dr. and I really didn't notice any difference. I think it was just an easy way to get an extra $8.00 out of me!!!!

Alison on 4/21/99 at 00:00 (006231)

My left leg appears longer, but it's because my left hip bone is much smaller than my right. I've been told that this may be why I can't tolerate jobs that require me to be continuously on my feet.Heel lifts seemed to throw my my back or hips out of alignment. They also strained the muscle behind my knees - bending my knee became very painfull.Leather orthotics or Dansko clogs work best for me.