Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cheap alternative to night splints

Posted by Susan Linden on 4/19/99 at 00:00 (006204)

Just an idea that I had and tried. I went to the local sporting goods store and purchased a good pair of lace-up ankle supports. They cover most of the foot and come up about as high as a pair of ice skates. I put a good pair of cushioned socks on and then put the braces on. Don't lace them too tight, you don't want to cut off the circulation. They are not as rigid as night splints and after seeing photos of the splints, they are way less cumbersome. I also put a kingsized bed pillow at the foot of my bed to hold the covers off my feet and give my feet something to rest against. I started noticing a reduction in pain in the morning. Don't know if this will help anyone else, but it sure helped me.

Re: Cheap alternative to night splints

Mary Ann on 4/20/99 at 00:00 (006207)

That sounds like a good idea. I have just tried the night splint and haven't made it through the whole night with it, althought I think it has helped. The ankle brace would be a lot less bulky and more comfortable. Thanks

Barb Lundeen on 4/20/99 at 00:00 (006210)

This might sound crazy but I put a big fat pillow at the foot of my bed under the covers and now sleep on my back with my feet against the pillow instead of on my stomach with my feet pointed flat - this is really working!!! - It keeps the calf muscles slightly stretched all night (which by the way is eliminating some awful charly horses and shin cramps that I was having) and I can walk in the morning without having those painful first steps.

bj on 4/21/99 at 00:00 (006225)

Please be sure to take calicum if you keep having charly horses and other body cramps. I was having TERRIBLE leg cramps, sometimes I would even yawn and get a cramp in my jaw. My fingers and toes would cramp. Potassium was fine, I ate so many bananas and drank OJ. I would be soooo sore afterwards for a couple of days. Finally the doctor did a para-thyroid test and found that the calicum was not getting to my bones. Now at 48 years old I have osteoprosis of a 70 year old. Even though I have taken hormones since a hyst. in 1991, I needed to add 1500 of calicum. Cramps are under control finally.

Danielle on 4/25/99 at 00:00 (006276)

i have also tried scootching down in the bed and letting my affected foot dangle off the end of the bed.

TONI GRIMES on 5/07/99 at 00:00 (006623)

Tried your suggestion of putting the pillow in the bed and pushing my foot up against it. It worked! I can finally step out of bed without pain. Thanks for the suggestion

Mary Ann on 4/20/99 at 00:00 (006207)

That sounds like a good idea. I have just tried the night splint and haven't made it through the whole night with it, althought I think it has helped. The ankle brace would be a lot less bulky and more comfortable. Thanks

Barb Lundeen on 4/20/99 at 00:00 (006210)

This might sound crazy but I put a big fat pillow at the foot of my bed under the covers and now sleep on my back with my feet against the pillow instead of on my stomach with my feet pointed flat - this is really working!!! - It keeps the calf muscles slightly stretched all night (which by the way is eliminating some awful charly horses and shin cramps that I was having) and I can walk in the morning without having those painful first steps.

bj on 4/21/99 at 00:00 (006225)

Please be sure to take calicum if you keep having charly horses and other body cramps. I was having TERRIBLE leg cramps, sometimes I would even yawn and get a cramp in my jaw. My fingers and toes would cramp. Potassium was fine, I ate so many bananas and drank OJ. I would be soooo sore afterwards for a couple of days. Finally the doctor did a para-thyroid test and found that the calicum was not getting to my bones. Now at 48 years old I have osteoprosis of a 70 year old. Even though I have taken hormones since a hyst. in 1991, I needed to add 1500 of calicum. Cramps are under control finally.

Danielle on 4/25/99 at 00:00 (006276)

i have also tried scootching down in the bed and letting my affected foot dangle off the end of the bed.

TONI GRIMES on 5/07/99 at 00:00 (006623)

Tried your suggestion of putting the pillow in the bed and pushing my foot up against it. It worked! I can finally step out of bed without pain. Thanks for the suggestion