Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE?

Posted by LIMPING on 4/22/99 at 00:00 (006241)

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE SPURS ON BACK OF HEELS? DR. CALLED THE BIG LUMP A 'PUMP BUMP' AND DIAGNOSED PF. MY FOOT SWELLS IN THE ANKLE AREA, I HAVE NOW GONE TO NEW BALANCE AND BIRKS AND CAN WALK FOR SHORT PERIODS OF TIME ONLY. I'VE HAD CORTIZONE, PT, RIGID BOOT TO THE KNEE YADA,YADA,YADA. THE PT HELPED MOST OF ALL BUT INSURANCE PUT A QUICK HALT TO THAT!

Re: ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE?

Bea on 4/22/99 at 00:00 (006245)

I havew the bump on the back of heel and a lot of trouble with my achilles heel, also can also walk for short periods, etc. I wastold they were calcium deposits and much the same as heel spurs. It has gotten progressively worse over the past year, althoi I find some relief with icing and also manets(decreases the pain). I have an apopointment in two weeks with my rheumatologist who I haven't seen in a year and i will post the results. So far I can just find some relief but far from a cure. Have tried accupuncture, rest, stretching and Birks. I am limited to shoes without backs. Hope I have something more positive to report soon.

Sheri on 4/23/99 at 00:00 (006255)

Interesting about the shoes without backs...I can only wear shoes that are closed in on the top and around the back...gotta have a back strap for support.

Re: ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE? Yes, I'm here

Christine on 4/23/99 at 00:00 (006259)

I too tried the chiropractor and found it helped a great deal. I am still troubled by the pain, however, when I try to exercise. I hear there is an experimental treatment with a machine called the Ossatron. It is much like the treatment for kidney stones which, I believe, sends a blast to break up the stones.

Good luck.

Nadine on 4/26/99 at 00:00 (006286)

Boy, I'll say I'm tired of limping. I think that my family is beginning to not remember the day that I didn't limp. I have a medial insert and that helps greatly, but if I take the New Balances off I'm in real trouble. It just seems that someone has to come up with a way to get rid of these things.

Gus on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006323)

Hi - I had surgery Feb 8th to correct a 'Haglund's deformity' (aka pump bump) on my left heel. It wasn't fun. I'd had stiffness in both heels for over a year - could hardly walk at times. But I thought it was 'just arthritis,' so I kept on playing team tennis 3 times a week, until the left heel started to burn so badly every time I pushed off on it I had to stop playing completely (Nov). Saw a foot MD in Jan. 99, who agreed that I needed prompt attention - surgery. It was a 2 hour operation. The achiles tendon was removed from the heel, so that the Haglund's 'spur' could be removed. Then the achiles tendon was cleaned up - it had become torn and ragged from being stretched and dragged across the bony spur for the past year or so, and there was a lot of debris that needed to be painstakingly removed. Finally, the tendon was reattached to the heel with plastic 'anchors.' I was sent home that evening. The pain was ungodly for about 18 hours - then things quieted down. Had a cast put on two days later. No walking for 4 weeks - just crutches. A new cast was put on every 2 weeks - a total of three in all. It was a long, slow, inconvenient recovery - but I've been walking around for the past month. The heel feels much better. No pain when stretching - though still stiff and tender and quite swollen if I'm on my feet for too long. It will take another year to heal completely after all that was done to repair it. In my case surgery was the only answer - due to the damage my tendon had suffered from the 'pump bump.' Unfortunately - now that the pain from my tendon has subsided, I am now experiencing great pain from a bone spur under the heel. I can't walk any better now than I could in November - the pain is just in a new place. I'm very, very discouraged. I'll give it another 6 weeks but - if therapy, stretching, orthotics don't seem to be helping - it's back to surgery for me. I've gone thru too much already to stop now. I can't stand (literally) having to deal with this pain in my foot!! I'll be grateful to 'just' be able to walk again someday without limping.

Good luck with your foot.

BERNADETTE on 4/28/99 at 00:00 (006340)

BOTH MY FEET ARE IN A CAST,I AM LIMPING CONSTANTLY,PETRIFIED OF
SURGERY,WHAT DO I DO ,ALSO HAVE TENDONITIS ON TOP OF IT ALL HELP!!!
LIMP FROM THE TIME I WAKE UP TILL I GO TO BED

Bea on 4/22/99 at 00:00 (006245)

I havew the bump on the back of heel and a lot of trouble with my achilles heel, also can also walk for short periods, etc. I wastold they were calcium deposits and much the same as heel spurs. It has gotten progressively worse over the past year, althoi I find some relief with icing and also manets(decreases the pain). I have an apopointment in two weeks with my rheumatologist who I haven't seen in a year and i will post the results. So far I can just find some relief but far from a cure. Have tried accupuncture, rest, stretching and Birks. I am limited to shoes without backs. Hope I have something more positive to report soon.

Sheri on 4/23/99 at 00:00 (006255)

Interesting about the shoes without backs...I can only wear shoes that are closed in on the top and around the back...gotta have a back strap for support.

Re: ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE? Yes, I'm here

Christine on 4/23/99 at 00:00 (006259)

I too tried the chiropractor and found it helped a great deal. I am still troubled by the pain, however, when I try to exercise. I hear there is an experimental treatment with a machine called the Ossatron. It is much like the treatment for kidney stones which, I believe, sends a blast to break up the stones.

Good luck.

Nadine on 4/26/99 at 00:00 (006286)

Boy, I'll say I'm tired of limping. I think that my family is beginning to not remember the day that I didn't limp. I have a medial insert and that helps greatly, but if I take the New Balances off I'm in real trouble. It just seems that someone has to come up with a way to get rid of these things.

Gus on 4/27/99 at 00:00 (006323)

Hi - I had surgery Feb 8th to correct a 'Haglund's deformity' (aka pump bump) on my left heel. It wasn't fun. I'd had stiffness in both heels for over a year - could hardly walk at times. But I thought it was 'just arthritis,' so I kept on playing team tennis 3 times a week, until the left heel started to burn so badly every time I pushed off on it I had to stop playing completely (Nov). Saw a foot MD in Jan. 99, who agreed that I needed prompt attention - surgery. It was a 2 hour operation. The achiles tendon was removed from the heel, so that the Haglund's 'spur' could be removed. Then the achiles tendon was cleaned up - it had become torn and ragged from being stretched and dragged across the bony spur for the past year or so, and there was a lot of debris that needed to be painstakingly removed. Finally, the tendon was reattached to the heel with plastic 'anchors.' I was sent home that evening. The pain was ungodly for about 18 hours - then things quieted down. Had a cast put on two days later. No walking for 4 weeks - just crutches. A new cast was put on every 2 weeks - a total of three in all. It was a long, slow, inconvenient recovery - but I've been walking around for the past month. The heel feels much better. No pain when stretching - though still stiff and tender and quite swollen if I'm on my feet for too long. It will take another year to heal completely after all that was done to repair it. In my case surgery was the only answer - due to the damage my tendon had suffered from the 'pump bump.' Unfortunately - now that the pain from my tendon has subsided, I am now experiencing great pain from a bone spur under the heel. I can't walk any better now than I could in November - the pain is just in a new place. I'm very, very discouraged. I'll give it another 6 weeks but - if therapy, stretching, orthotics don't seem to be helping - it's back to surgery for me. I've gone thru too much already to stop now. I can't stand (literally) having to deal with this pain in my foot!! I'll be grateful to 'just' be able to walk again someday without limping.

Good luck with your foot.

BERNADETTE on 4/28/99 at 00:00 (006340)

BOTH MY FEET ARE IN A CAST,I AM LIMPING CONSTANTLY,PETRIFIED OF
SURGERY,WHAT DO I DO ,ALSO HAVE TENDONITIS ON TOP OF IT ALL HELP!!!
LIMP FROM THE TIME I WAKE UP TILL I GO TO BED